I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:37:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Gastroparesis Test
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gastroparesis Test  (Read 17486 times)
Chris
Member for Life

« on: December 12, 2008, 12:05:47 AM »

I went to see the gastro doctor Thursday to find out what my tissue sample results were that were taken  when I was in the hospital in November. Parts that were taken didn't show anything, but he couldn't explain while there was ulcers(those are healing) an why there is inflammation in spots in both the upper and GI Tract. So if I am not having the frequent flyer miles to the washroom, he won't do another test. However he ordered a test to see if I have Gastrophoresis. It is a 2 hour test I am told, but the lady at the hospital couldn't explain what is done. She was just a central scheduler at the hospital. This test I don't mind doing to see if this might be the cause why I can't eat so much.

Has anyone had this test?

Wish the doc could explain the inflammation and cause of ulcers though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:08:14 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »

Chris, do you mean gastroparesis? My hubby had the nuclear emptying study done just a couple of weeks ago. Had to eat very small hard boiled egg that was laced with dye so they could see how long it took for his stomach to empty. We had a follow up with the GI doctor and he a biopsy of Len's esophagus and stomach ulcers and they both came back benign and the test for Helicobacter Pylori bacteria was also negative. I hope you have a good GI doctor, that is the most important thing. Ask about Protonix as we have found that it is much better then pepcid or any other over the counter medicine. I hope this helps you and good luck with your test. Let us know how it goes.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »

If it is gastroparesis you are talking about, I never had any test done to confirm it.  I guess the symptoms and the fact that I responded to the normal meds to fix it were enough for my doc.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »

:oops; on the spelling, should have looked it up first.
Ewwww, I hate hard boiled eggs! :puke;
Sounds like this test is gonna not be good. Two hours, one laced up egg = Not a happy camper!

Thanks willieandwinnie  for the information. I have heard of protonix, but not familiar with it nor never had it. I am on ranitidine instead of pepcid (insurance thing) and have tried reglan (generic version) at home, but that didn't help and mad me sick.

As for the GI doc, I don't have much faith in him since he didn't give me any clue to why I had ulcers in the upper and lower GI tract, have inflamation along spots of the GI tract, yet tissue samples taken did not show a thing, ODD!

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:41 AM »

I had it done last year. Each hospital has their own type of food they use for the radioactive dye. Don't worry about it harming your kidney tho, as it is a minuscule amount. Most use some form of eggs though. My hospital had me eat scrambled eggs. They also gave me toast and juice too. After eating, they take you in to a room with a flat, metal table/bed. You lay down, and they move a large box over you which contains the "camera." Then you lay there for about 15 minutes while they take a picture, then you sit somewhere and wait for 15 minutes. You repeat this for 2 hours. At least that's how my hospital did it. Some may just have you lay on the table the whole time. I brought a book, which helped. They even let me read it while they did the scanning, which was no easy feat since they box is practically on your chest!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:25:10 PM »

I wonder if I can get the images on CD like my MRI's and, X-Ray's, and CT scans. I can deal with warm eggs, but not hard boiled eggs. Heck, make me an omlette with cheese, bacon or sausage, tomatoes, and onions. I bettr bring coffee too, hospital coffee is one of the worst to drink besides instant. Metal tables sounds like I'll freeze my  :sir ken; for this test.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »

I wouldn't worry about freezing your but off. I got to keep my clothes on for the test. They also put padding on the table.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »

I get cold easily and they keep that area cold. I ned to keep my coat on or somehow wear 4 layers of clothing. I should get those thermal lined jeans!

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »

They make thermal lined jeans???!!!  Who makes them? I wonder if they have any for women?

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

Those outdoor stores like Bass proshops, Gander Mountain. I don't see why not that they wouldn't have them for women. I just never had the need to look. Their used in construction and there are women in construction, so they should have them.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »

I had the test done today and what an uncomfortable 2 hours. Well they used plain oatmeal which could have atleast had sweet n low, but better than having a hard boiled egg.

I was on a cold table with blankets that did not keep me warm. I was told to lay my arms on the side and not to move the entire time. Arms began to hurt at the elbow, but more on my fistula and graft side. They need some paddingon that table! So while watching the tube on how the progress is going, my back decide to act up. This is not going to be a good morning I'm thinking. No one in the room to ask for another blanket or anything. Doors closed, so much for asking someone in the hall.

Finally test ends, and another tech comes in and ask me "How do you feel?" I'm cold and I'm sore! You need padding on this table and given me real blankets or the comforter I know you guys have down the hall and not these chinsey paper thin so called blankets, is what I'm thinking. I just said I'm sore, cold, and you need pading on the table to be comfortable.

So I get up and no my bad knee is feeling worse. I could barely put weight on it and it was in more pain than usual. What the heck is going on here I'm thinking. What kind of radioactive isotope did they use, Rufee #10 r something. ???

So hobbling along I go to leave. I stopped at the coffee house before I left and got a free latte and as I walk to my vehicle my leg doesn't hurt as much.

Looking at the screen while on the table, it didn't look like much changed, but won't know till doc calls with results either this week or next.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

I'm sorry your test was so bad. I don't know why you couldn't move your limbs though. They aren't taking pictures of those! I was given a triangle shaped pillow to put under my knees. I should have mentioned that so you could ask if they had one. Sorry! If you have the test again, bring a blanket and ask about the pillow!  Oh yeah, and about the plain oatmeal...   :puke;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »

Chris, I am glad it is over.  Now we need to know the results.  Let us know what they tell you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monsterman

Impossible Is Nothing

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm a Type I  Diabetic as well and have been struggling now with Gastroparesis for almost 10 years  or so. I have chronic emptying or Dihahrea.. I used to run up to 20 times a day pretty much everything and anything I eat or drink comes out. Sometimes I can go a few hours and hold things down other times I can prety much eat dinner and be in the bathroom 10 minutes into eating or shortly there after. I have tried all the medication available for this and I am now not taking anything. The side effects of most of the medication did more harm them good IMO.. The last resort is to go in and have an inmplant put in that is like a pacemaker that gives electronic impulses to the nerves in the stomach.

But I hear that its only good for about 3 months time then it stops working and to me that is just a lost cause to have to go through all of the non sense to get it in there for it to only stop working in such a short amount of time. I've tried to change my diet stay away from foods that would cause my stomach to get upset etc and nothing seems to work. I have Linox or Lomotil here for a last resort but most of the time those dont work either. I was taking injections "Sandostatin" but that also had terrible side effects I was on that for a number of years and I finally started to just have a bad reaction to taking the injections. I found out about 5 weeks or so ago that my kidneys had failed and while in the hospital I met with a doctor who discussed another option with me. While going for Dialysis right now I am also getting IDPN which is Nutrition through an IV. He told me that they could go in and cut out some or part of my small intestine so that I would not have to digest food anymore and could use IDPN Nutrition as my main source of Nutrition. So that is an option I guess. I could still eat real food only my body would not really absorb or be able to do anything with it other then get rid of it. In my eyes that would just be like waisting or throwing away food lol..

Chris
monsterman

Impossible Is Nothing

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

* Dont know why but I had to start another reply as it seems I ran out of spaces to type..

Anyhow we will see where things go from here. Gastroparesis is really a PITA to live with, its hard to go out to eat or go to friends houses when  you know you are going to be rading their bathroom the entire time you are there. And forget eating out and trying to make it home before mother nature calls. What a pain.. It also makes keeping your blood sugars really hard to control and maintain..

Chris
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »

Chris, I am glad it is over.  Now we need to know the results.  Let us know what they tell you.

Forgot to reply to this Paris.
The results were inconclusive. So the digestive specialist put me on Reglan, well a generic form. The side effects are worse than the problem. He then put me on a lower dose and I jut have never taken it. He said that the med is not really for long term use due to the side effects and complications it causes. So I am just doing my eat once a day routine. What really gets me is the tissue samples taken from the colonoscopy. Something was causing it, but the test they did show nothing. Well hello McFly, I want to know what is going on!

I am no longer seeing that doc.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 04:50:31 PM »

monsterman, my husband also has Gastroparesis and I can relate to everything you are saying. The GI doctor (whom we just love) told my husband about the pacemaker but didn't highly recommend it since it is still considered experimental. My hubby had a small bowel feeding tube for over a year and was also on TPN through a groshoyn catheter in his chest. We are so careful about diet that I know what you are saying about being home bound and the food I throw away just makes me sick. I guess you have been on reglan? We have an appointment next month with the GI doctor and I am going to ask lots of questions about continuing on it (bad side effects). With the drugs for transplant and GI drugs I really watch my hubby like a hawk. My hubby has been sick since 2001 and started out at 155 and went down to 115. He has gained some back (lost a lot when he had he's transplant) from GI complications from Cellcept which they immediately stopped but I believe the damage was already done.  :banghead; I sure hope to hear more from you. Doesn't make me feel so alone to know that someone else is out there that is going throught this. Eat some pudding  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monsterman

Impossible Is Nothing

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 05:31:28 PM »

Hello willieandwinnie,

Well I feel better to finally run into someone with the same condition as me.. I haven't met anyone else as of yet aside fro your husband now. There was a girl who had Gastroparesis  but she would just throw up all of her food..

I had it bad, I used to live down South in Ga they didn't know much about my condition I got down to 67 pounds at the age of 22 and I was really close to kicking the bucket. I ended up getting up to 72 pounds jumped on a plane and came here to NY to see doctors. I moved in with my grandparents and went out to a "Teaching Hospital" I had over 20 heads, eyes, and hands working on me. Needless to say 3 months of being in ICU, feeding tubes, test after test they finally got things under control... The State I was living in just had no clue as to my condition and well I paid the price for 3 long years. But the damage has now been done. I have many other Diabetic Complications, Neuropathy, on Dialysis now, etc..

So at least your husband has someone to talk to if he wants. I spend a lot of time on the computer if he wants so share email address's that would be cool with me! And yes I have been on Reglan already I don't think there is a drug, diet or herb I haven't tried yet!!
Thanks for writting back and sharing your husbands story and yours.. My family support is great and they truly understand what I go through on a daily basis. Unfortunately a lot of my friends could not cope with it and have since fell off the earth. Its also amazing to me that other doctors, nurses, and hospital staff really have NO Clue to my condition or the condition of a patient with Gastroparesis until they actually see it first hand!!! You should see their jaws drop when they get me!!!

Chris
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »

We too have experience with gastroparesis. It has put Rolando in the hospital more times than any other aspect of diabetes. He is affected the same way as the girl you mentioned (food just stops moving down and therefore must come up - have plastic bag, will travel) and during particularly bad times, it is an upper GI bleed that puts him in the hospital. But it is pretty much under control right now.

We can speak to long term use of reglan. Rolando has been taking 10 mg with meals and at bedtime up to 4 times a day for many, many years with no obvious issues. We try stopping it from time to time (his neph hates it that he takes so much and for so long) and we're okay for several weeks to a month and then it hits hard and Rolando is right back on the reglan. We are getting good at stopping the GI bleeds so he hasn't been in the hospital for that in a few years.

Monsterman, I am glad they have found a way to get you the nutrition you need.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »

My gastroparesis is the same way. No diarrhea, but it's a crap shoot as to whether it's going to stay down or not. I can take one bite and I'm full. Sometimes after a few bites, the food just can't  go down any further and it is so painful, I have to go throw up just to relieve it. Like Chris, I have found the one meal a day plan to be most effective. My doc said that eating very small meals throughout the day would work too, but since my dialysis clinic won't let have food or drink, the one meal a day method is easier. I've thrown up food before that I had eaten 3 days before! Leafy veggies are the worst for me. It's like they don't digest at all.

And it's funny you say "have bag will travel" Arlene. I carry a 1 gallon zip loc bag in my purse (and in my car) just for that purpose! And the anxiety attack vomiting as well!! I knew my (now) husband was a keeper back when we were dating when, after seeing me puke for the umpteenth time and could laugh about it.  ;D

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »