I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  When did you get your fistula?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did you get your fistula?  (Read 4277 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: December 10, 2008, 09:50:21 PM »

I'm curious as to when everyone's doctor told them it was time to have their fistula surgery. I don't mean in emergency cases tho. I'm in the process of switching nephrologists (again--this is the third one in 3 1/2 years), but my last one never mentioned a fistula. When i last saw him about a month and a half ago, my function was 19% and he told me he didn't need to see me for a year! Shouldn't someone have told me to get a fistula started by now? My function a month ago was 14%. I don't know what it is right now,  but my new neph appt. is next week.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:57 PM »

I went in for surgery a year before I started dialysis. - and it was good thing I started on it long before I needed it, since it took 3 attempts to get one that worked.  I also stalled on starting for quite a few months after the doctor wanted me to start. 14% seems to me like it's past due for getting it placed.  If you get a natural fistula, it will take a while for it to heal up and be usable.

Have you decided on PD vs hemo?  Not every doc suggests that you get a hemo access if you want to do PD, although quite a few of them do prefer it. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »

I was told to have my fistula done, what my Neph thought, would be a year before I needed it. It turned out that 3 weeks and a day after I got it, I had to start using it. I believe that was possible because of exercising the fistula with the ball ASAP. This coming May will be 3 years, and my fistula is doing great. With kidney failure, you never know when the bottom will drop out. I would ask about getting your fistula soon, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  :twocents;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »

Have you decided on PD vs hemo?  Not every doc suggests that you get a hemo access if you want to do PD, although quite a few of them do prefer it. 

I'm actually trying to get a preemptive kidney/pancreas transplant done. I just finished all the testing to get listed. Now I'm just waiting to hear. At OSU Medical Center, their average wait time for a k/p transplant is 6 months. I was hoping to get one before the need for dialysis, but I have a feeling it may not work out that way.

If I do end up having to do dialysis, I'll do hemo. I have enough trouble controlling my blood sugars as it is, without the added glucose in PD.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
staceyand joe92

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:39:45 AM »

I went from 15% to 5% in two weeks with PKD.  I asked my neph constantly about getting a fistula. My first neph told me it was too early. I relocated from TX to AZ with my husband (Army) and my new neph said to wait also. Then came the big drop in GFR and now I have a chest cath and dialysis. I am waiting for mapping with the Vascular surgeon next week for a fistula. I wish I would have taken more control and demanded having the surgery for a fistula earlier.  I am finally on "the list" and have a few living donors that are being tested.

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »

I had mine done about a month before starting and thought I'd be able to hold off until it was ready.  However, I ended up with a permacath for a few months and wish I had not had to have one of those.  My personal opinion is that I would have it done and ready to go, especially if you don't have a living donor.  Some people like their permacaths and some even think that's it's fine to use one for years.  I disagree and so do all the medical people that I've talked to.  Of course, if you need to do emergency dialysis, as I have twice, they are essential and thank goodness we have them as an option.   

It seems a shame that your neph is not more helpful with guidance in this area.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Jess21

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:59:18 AM »

I started dialysis on an emergency basis, and also my neph thought my kidney function would come back, so I started dialysis in November and didn't have the fistula surgery until March.  Then again, my neph didn't want me to have the huge scar if I didn't have to.  They started using it 7 weeks later.

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:05:37 AM »

Paddbear,
Good luck on your transplants going throgh.

Here in Jersey they wont even put you ON THE LIST until you have already started Dialysis.
You can sign up for the list early.  But if a kidney were to come along and you hadnt started dialysis yet it passes you by :-(
Not sure why we do it like this.  But we do.  And our waiting list is like3/5 years long.

I wish you the best. :thumbup;

P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

I went into the hospital and had a catheter put in used it for almost a year had first fistula operation about 3 months after I started dialysis. When it failed before I had a chance to use it I switched Doctors and had vein mapping and then a second fistula which has been working ever since...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »

Fistula nov 05

dialysis  june 06

transplant  Any  bloody  day  know.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

If I do end up having to do dialysis, I'll do hemo. I have enough trouble controlling my blood sugars as it is, without the added glucose in PD.

I went on hemo for the same reason.  Plus, the doc said I'd probably gain a lot of weight with it because of the diabetes - I needed to lose it, not gain!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »

Eeekk! I definitely don't want to do that. After losing 30 pounds a few years ago, I have a great fear of gaining it back!

wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »

I got mine in the beginning of November.  I was at 18% at that time and the hope was that I could last 6 months before going on to dialysis while the fistula matured.  Right after the fistula surgery, I swelled up like a balloon.  I could not even close my fist.  I thought I had bronchitis, but it was fluid build up.  I ended up in the hospital and I was at 13% function.  This was within 10 days of the fistula surgery.  Now I have the catheters sticking out of my chest.  I keep wondering, If I give them a yank will a parachut come out of my back or will I blow up into a rubber raft...all these unanswered questions... :P

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »

I keep wondering, If I give them a yank will a parachut come out of my back or will I blow up into a rubber raft...all these unanswered questions... :P

:rofl; As today has not been a particularly good day, thanks for making me laugh!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

Sending you a not-particularly-good-day hug, Paddbear.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »

Thanks!

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 06:28:32 PM »

Rob had his fistula put in right when he went on dialysis.  I really wish he got his before he needed it, things would have been so much easier on his body.  He went through about 6-7 catheters because he kept getting infections.  You know what infections can do to a diabetic, it was just horrible.  His last catheter infection landed him in the hospital for a week.  His infection was so bad and it came on him fast.

My advice is to get the catheter ASAP.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »

I got my fistula exactly two years ago today and I was told I would be using it shortly after that.  Few months at the most.  Still not on dialysis two years later but really pleased I have it here if I need it.  I would get it in just to be on the safe side and you will feel more secure knowing it is there. x
Restorer

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »

I was told by my nephrologist that I should start looking into getting a fistula back in April. I had a vascular imaging in early May, but then decided to go with PD. I would have started PD in late August, but my catheter didn't work and had to be replaced, so I ended up starting eventually in late September.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »