I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 12:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Kicking myself for being so stupid...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kicking myself for being so stupid...  (Read 3658 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: December 09, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »

It's my fault I never changed my name on my SS card when I got married 10 YEARS ago!  I regret it, okay!!!!!!!

So now it's a big deal having to change my name.  I was able to get my Medicare Card (received it yesterday), but they have my maiden name on the card.  I sent in my SS name change form with my marriage license and they returned it to me stating they needed an ID.  So instead of trudging off to the DMV I went directly to the SS office this morning with my marriage license, a certified copy of my birth certificate AND my Texas DL.  Well, being that it's been over 2 years, they also need an ID showing my maiden name.  I don't have my DL with my maiden name!!!!!   aaarrrrgghhh!

So they say I can get a certified copy of medical records with my maiden name or certified school transcripts.  I called my nephrologist's office today and they have no idea what they need!!!!!!!!

My trip to the SS office this morning wasn't a total waste, however.  They were able to make the name change on my Medicare card.  I should receive the new card in about 30 days.

I never want to go back to the Social Security office again!  The whole place smelled like corn tortillas.   :puke;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

Ugh, sorry you had such a tough time at the SS Office.  You should be able to show them your birth certificate as proof of your maiden name. 

I have one better for you.  I forgot to change my name when I married Rob 6 years ago.  2 years ago I was notified by the IRS to do this if I wanted to claim under my married name.  So, I went to SS to do this and thought I was under my maiden name.  Well, I was married before and thought I legally changed my last name when I divorced but it never got filed.  So, I had to go back to SS with my marriage certificate, my divorce decree and my birth certificate.  It was a mess, but they were very helpful.

I hope it goes easier for you next time!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:53:41 PM »

my head is spinning... ??? ??? ???

mmm...corn tortillas

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:57:38 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;  Kelly,  only in San Antonio...  I just had to go there for the name change as well.  You're right!  Mexican food is all around us.

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:10:06 PM »

Perhaps all this is why I never changed my name when I got married.  Actually never changed anything.  Not even my bank account.   We still have separate accounts  at different banks and my husband has another account at my branch too.  38 years and we've never even had a joint account.  Seems to work.  I liked my name so kept it at a time when it was pretty unusual to do so and took a fair amount of flack about it too.  
When people used to ask my husband how he felt about this he'd say "Well, I wouldn't want to change my name so it makes perfect sense to me that Gail wants to keep hers."

However, I know all my husband's financial business and he knows mine.  We have totally separate retirement accounts and for many years separate financial advisors.  We did this on purpose in order to get twice the number of opinions.  My mother-in-law has her own advisors but we meet with them as a family since we all are fully aware of each other's stuff but we keep them physically separate.

Corn tortillas are renal friendly right?  As long as there's not too much salt.   :rofl;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »

I kept my name too.  It was very easy - do nothing.  We have joint accounts for most things though.  My son has my last name for his middle name.  I know there were times when people didn't believe we were married, but that was long ago and I can't recall the details. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:23:43 PM »

You know what's really crazy?  The number of family friends who call me Lee and call Lee, Gail.  Cracks me up every time. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »

I like the smell of corn tortillas
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »

When I'm eating corn tortillas I like the smell.  But when you're crammed in a small lobby with a bunch of strangers....not so much.

I finally got an answer from the SS office yesterday.  I mailed all my info on Dec. 15th and every time I call to check on the status no on could tell me anything.  As fas as the person on the other end of the phone's concerned, they haven't received anything.  I mailed my original marriage license, a certified copy of my birth certificate, an expired drivers license and two certified medical record reports.  Just enough information for someone to BECOME me overnight!  Then he says "We don't recommend you mail in your documents.  You should come to the office in person".  First off, it's on the form/application you mailed me.  It says "mail back application with documentation to your local office at .....".  Also, for the 45 minutes I was on hold I heard the recorded voice say numerous times "You can mail your application and documents to....".   Then he proceeded to tell me that the USPS is going bankrupt and no one knows this!!!    :o       Apparently, NO ONE uses the post office any more..   ???

Anyway, I called and finally got an answer yesterday.  He said there was a note in the system that said my change was processed on January 8th.  He said I should receive my documents back through the mail next week and my corrected SS card in about two weeks.    jeez!   Never again will I postpone something like this.     :banghead;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

Wow, real fun with Social Security!! :sarcasm;
I guess I am one of the few lucky ones who has had a good experience with Social Security. Back in 1999 they told me not to send anything in, bring it to the office. If I sent something, certify it, have signature required, or something so I could track it's progress.

Post Office going bankrupt? I could see that happening, but doubt it will happen.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:46:50 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »

As far as I know the USPS is not going bankrupt.  My husband is a letter carrier, (I always say "mailman", he hates that), he has been there 20+ years. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:00:58 PM »

Thank you!   Nurse, you should call the downtown SS office and you'll probably get this idiot.  He must be a conspiracy theorist!  ha ha

Also, if I wasn't immune-suppressed I would have gladly (well, not gladly) went to the office and waited for my turn to speak with a SS officer.  However, I went once and it was horrible!  People should not be allowed to change their children's diapers in a public lobby!  It's discusting.  Sorry parents, but it is.  I typed a really nice letter to include with my documents explaining my situation and told them that if I absolutely had to come to the office again I would, but I preferred not to return.  Actually, I told them I was forbidden to return by my doctor.   :shy;   I'm super glad they processed it.  I was getting nervous about sending that info.   Thank goodness I have Life Lock.  That would at least prevent anyone from gett a credit card and such in my name.  Unless I contact Life Lock in advance and receive a code, I can't even go get a credit card in my name!  We tried!    :clap;
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:07:32 PM by kellyt » Logged

Budluv

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

Hey KellyT...
Was wondering if you heard about the ceo of lifelock (guy on the commercials with this ssn plastered on the side of a semi) getting his identity stolen.
Here's a link
http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20080523/lifelock-ceo-gets-identity-stolen/

-Mike L
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

oh crap....

Budluv

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

I wouldn't worry Kellyt...  That guys was pretty cocky..  Putting your ssn on the side of a truck in a nation wide commercial is just begging for it.   I'm sure your fine.

And the moral of the story is.. No matter how smart you think you are, there's always someone smarter. Don't get cocky.

-Mike L     

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »

Good moral.   :thumbup;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »

I got my "new" (name changed) Social Security card in the mail yesterday!!!   Yeah!!!   :cheer:      They also mailed back all my documents a few days ealier!    :clap;

It's finally over!  I can relax...

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:18 AM »

That's great!   :yahoo;

What a relief for you!

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »