I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Texas and Property Taxes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Texas and Property Taxes  (Read 3143 times)
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« on: December 09, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

I was at the property tax office this morning and as I understand it, I can defer the payment on property taxes on my residence until I either sell my home or die.  They charge an 8% annual interest rate.  Anybody out there from Texas whose done this?  I'm wondering if this would be a good thing to do.  It makes sense to me but I'm looking for any problems with it.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »

I have not done that and would be afraid to do so.  I did go to my tax assessor office and they added the disability discount which took off a couple hundred dollars of my annual taxes.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:25 AM »

Im not 100% sure how that works.
But they are not doing this to help you thats for sure :-)

If you sell you will owe a small fortune.  If you die and leave the home to someone the lien on it may be overwhelming for them to actualy collect or sell the home themselvs???

property taxes are cheap in texas arnt they?
here in Jersey we have the highest property taxes.  Average home taxes on a small plot are $6500 a year and climbing yearly.

Good luck with your decision.
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »

Here's tax info for Texas http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/proptax/tx96_295/paying.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »

Im not 100% sure how that works.
But they are not doing this to help you thats for sure :-)

If you sell you will owe a small fortune.  If you die and leave the home to someone the lien on it may be overwhelming for them to actualy collect or sell the home themselvs???

property taxes are cheap in texas arnt they?
here in Jersey we have the highest property taxes.  Average home taxes on a small plot are $6500 a year and climbing yearly.

Good luck with your decision.
P&K

HOLY COW|!!!!  $6500!!  I paid about $900 for my house with the disability discount I think it is supposed to be about $600 (that is also with the homestead exemption)!!!  Then again my house is valued at $50,000 for tax purposes (and I'm not telling them any different LOL). 

I don't live in a shack either.... I have a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath brick home... alomost 2300 square feet.

Thanks paul.karen!  You have made me feel alot better about how much I pay in taxes!!!cc :cheer:

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:31:34 AM »

After my disability discount, my taxes will be just under 1900 a year.  I spoke with my CPA yesterday afternoon.  Unless some unforseen thing happens, we plan on staying here.  My kids will be able to sell the house.  They'll have six months to do so and use some of the proceeds to pay off the tax bill.  They will also have life insurance to help them out.

It means 1900 a year I won't have to come up with now since our income is going to be significantly reduced.  My husband is an electrician and was laid off in October so all we have to live on at this time is unemployment.  Sigh.
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:57:10 AM »

Dkerr sorry to hear about the layoff :-(
That truly is a burbun.  I am also glad you found the information you were looking for.  Every little bit does truly help.  I hope your husband can find a new electrical job SOON.  When i lived in Texas i worked for Glaze electric.   But that was a lifetime ago..............

Donnia  :-)
Glad i made you feel better.  it is a true shame here in jersey.  We also have some of the highest Auto inurance rates in the nation.  And the state Goverment wont let in many insurance companies which in reality would bring down the cost of auto insurance if we had more competition.
It seems they want the regular joes like me to move out of jersey and make it a home for the rich only who dont want to live in NYC........

P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:12:43 AM »

Thanks.  I don't think the attitude of only wanting the rich is a Jersey thing.  About 15 years ago the city planning commission where I live refused to build anything smaller than 2000 feet. When told people couldn't afford to live here, they said they could lives somewhere else.  Backfired though . . . they've had huge problems with foreclosure here and lots of empty homes and therefore lots of homes not paying property tax.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »

dkerr - Sorry to hear about the layoff, hope he can find something soon.

Paul/Karen - I hear ya about the taxes and insurance.  Here in Massachusetts (home of the Kennedy's) we are famously known for our high taxes and ridiculously high insurance rates.  It stinks!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:42:47 PM »

oregon is another state with high property taxes. since the state doesn't have sales tax, property tax pay for everything. my father's entire retirement check from the city of san francisco, went to cover property taxes on their house when they lived on the coast and they owned the house outright. i don't think they pay quite so much now that they are in corvallis, but still......

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 06:52:09 AM »

oregon is another state with high property taxes. since the state doesn't have sales tax, property tax pay for everything. my father's entire retirement check from the city of san francisco, went to cover property taxes on their house when they lived on the coast and they owned the house outright. i don't think they pay quite so much now that they are in corvallis, but still......

One of our ballot questions this year was a bill to eliminate the sales tax in Massachusetts.  It was a landslide vote of No to eliminate the tax because we didn't want our property taxes skyrocketing.  It would have also been a disaster for public education and public saftey employees.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »