I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Blood Group And waiting time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Group And waiting time?  (Read 16559 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 09:45:34 PM »

Hey Kevno welcome back!  *Waves big stick your way*

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »

Tamara, I'm with you.  I got a "letter", but it doesn't mean crap to me.  I want to go on the Internet and find my name on the list.  You can't do that.  The transplant list is a giant BLACK HOLE if you ask me.   :-\

kevno

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »

I have seen a print off of the list in the renal clinic. I am on their. Only ever been called once 1991. Been on and off the list so many times over the last 18 years. I have only just got back on the list because of the problem with my leg. I have been working it out, and I have been off the list for a total of 6 years. through one thing and another :-\

:thx; kitkatz. Only been off the site for about ten days and it as so many new posts and members.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Bette

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 09:45:54 AM »

I am o negative and I waited just over 2 years for my first transplant in 1994.  It seems as if waiting times are getting longer.  I have a few remaining tests, but I am in the process of getting on the list again.

:2thumbsup; Can't wait. 
Fighter

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 04:11:42 PM »

I'm A positive, and have been waiting for a year and 8 months here in Belgium. They told to expect a 2 year wait, although nowadays it might be more like 2,5 years on average. The US is known for its long waiting lists, I guess it's because of the diabetes "epidemic" over there, which is slowly catching on in Europe too I'm afraid...
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2007, 12:47:52 AM »

Tamara, I'm with you.  I got a "letter", but it doesn't mean crap to me.  I want to go on the Internet and find my name on the list.  You can't do that.  The transplant list is a giant BLACK HOLE if you ask me.   :-\

:bump;  I just found this thread. We don't get a letter if you are on the list, you just have to trust what they tell you.
Calling the list a giant BLACK HOLE is just perfect... I feel as if I have been sucked in and allowed to just float around forever.   :banghead;
I want proof they still remember I am here waiting.

A- Two years and four months. But hey whos counting  :P

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Meinuk

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »

A+ on the list since July 2005 in NYC.....  waiting......  Might get multi listed in PA & MD to up my odds......

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 07:31:28 AM »

Just saw this thread... in Melbourne (oz) aparently wait time is approx 4 years.

I saw THE LIST - well a print out of it.. or I think it was it.. when I saw my transplant co-ordinator and asked exactly how long I'd been on. That's when I got the great news (not) about it.

I was listed in August 2003 - so nearly 4 years... but they only really count time on dialysis in terms of making decisions so from that point of view I've only been on 10 months so potentially have a long time to go.

Aparently here they weight it on blood group, then HLA match then time on dialysis.. which makes sense...

though the co-ordiator told me they were thinking of changing it a bit to give younger patients a better chance but that hasn't happened yet I guess.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »

Just saw this thread... in Melbourne (oz) apparently wait time is approx 4 years.

I saw THE LIST - well a print out of it.. or I think it was it.. when I saw my transplant co-ordinator and asked exactly how long I'd been on. That's when I got the great news (not) about it.

I was listed in August 2003 - so nearly 4 years... but they only really count time on dialysis in terms of making decisions so from that point of view I've only been on 10 months so potentially have a long time to go.

Aparently here they weight it on blood group, then HLA match then time on dialysis.. which makes sense...

though the co-ordiator told me they were thinking of changing it a bit to give younger patients a better chance but that hasn't happened yet I guess.

Yep, thats right Richard. The waiting time starts the day of your first dialysis treatment. My question was "why bother telling me I am on the list before dialysis if it isn't going to make a difference!"    :banghead;   I was also disappointed when I found this out as I had been on the list a year before starting dialysis.

PKD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:25 PM »

I will get eight and half years of wait time due to being on dialysis all of this time! Hot damn! Oh excuse me! :waving;
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:34:41 AM by okarol » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2007, 08:47:41 PM »

I will get eight and half year sof wait time due to being on dialysis all of thsi time! Hot damn! Oh excuse me! :waving;

And so you should Kit you deserve every single day of dialysis to count for waiting time!!    :cuddle;

How are you doing jumping through those hoops?   :boxing;

PKD
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 09:06:34 PM »

You know this is so weird.. I read about folks in the US and elsewhere jumping through hoops to get on the list etc... I was just told I was on it.. I haven't had to do ANYTHING in relation to it... well anything apart from CKD and enduring dialysis...

I think KitKatz deserves a transplant big time. 8 years...phew!!!!

Actually Wattle they made a bit of a mistake with me and somehow my "start dialysis" date was set to sometime in April 2006 - 3 months before I actually started?!! I told the co-ordinator that and she said "don't worry.. we won't change it!" - yeah I know whoopee... a whole 3 months more... I guess it's something though.

The worst thing is when people start saying "oh well guess you better hope there's a bunch of car crashes this weekend" - I mean like I *WANT* someone to die for my chance??! That's a horrible thought!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:21 PM »

You know this is so weird.. I read about folks in the US and elsewhere jumping through hoops to get on the list etc... I was just told I was on it.. I haven't had to do ANYTHING in relation to it... well anything apart from CKD and enduring dialysis...

Hey Richard i find that really odd as here in NSW you have a whole bunch of tests that have to be done before you can get on the "list" , I' m not the only one that has had to do them. Maybe VIC is different .  ???

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 06:39:16 AM »

I was placed on the first day i started dialysis, then they did test afterwards to make sure all was OK and i could stay on the list...

I also sometimes wonder how do we know we're "Actually"  on the list........ but i did receive a call once from the red cross, and they said that my blood sample had been contaminated and they needed me to do another one asap. Which was strange but i thought it was good that the called me.

keefer51

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »

Amanda, I'm O+. When i started dialysis this time the first year or so i wasn't on the list. We got two new doctors and one talked me into again. I was told five years. I don't feel in my heart i am really on the list. I'll tell you why. After a year of being there i called to ask a question about my blood type. They said they didn't know. I think they like to dangle that carrot in front of me. When you have that kind of power with peoples lives there's no telling what they would do.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 07:56:04 AM »

Amanda, I'm O+. When i started dialysis this time the first year or so i wasn't on the list. We got two new doctors and one talked me into again. I was told five years. I don't feel in my heart i am really on the list. I'll tell you why. After a year of being there i called to ask a question about my blood type. They said they didn't know. I think they like to dangle that carrot in front of me. When you have that kind of power with peoples lives there's no telling what they would do.

Keefer,  Joe is O Positive also, and he was told average 2 years I think, although he's on for kidney/pancreas.  Do you know if that's why there's a difference, or just different parts of the country?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »

Different countries obviously have different procedures to qualify a patient to be on the list. Why would a patient be listed before he was evaluated thoroughly?  You would want to make sure there isn't an unknown cancer or heart problem before giving one a kidney.  I have been told that one can receive a pre-dialysis transplant once the evalulations have been completed; with the thought that the "healthier" you are the better chances you have.  The "list" has alot of variables and factors to determine who is next on the list.  After all of that ------ I don't care how they do it -I just want a kidney!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »

Keefer,  Joe is O Positive also, and he was told average 2 years I think, although he's on for kidney/pancreas.  Do you know if that's why there's a difference, or just different parts of the country?

It definitely matters what part of the country you are in in terms of waiting list.  The Northeast and California have the longest waiting list.  This is due to the population size. 

We were told that states like Florida or the midwest have a shorter waiting time.  Right now Massachusetts has a 5-7 year long waiting list...count on closer to the 7 years.

Rob is O also...the absolute worst blood type to have if you want a transplant  :(

However, if you go for the kidney/pancreas transplant, the waitlist is shorter.  Rob has decided to have his pancreas transplant after his kidney.  We were told by his surgeon that he has a better chance of his kidney working better and both organs lasting longer.

I dislike the transplant coordinator that is working with us, she isn't the most helpful person in the world.  However, his hospital is at one of the worlds best for transplants, so we suck it up.   >:(

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

Thanks for the info.  The neph mentioned he could have the pancreas done later (like if he gets a relative kidney) but I've read here and there that it's worse to do it separately, since it's harder on your kidney to have surgery and higher doses of drugs again, or something like that.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 08:33:48 PM »

Where I live, the wait for a O+ is 7 years...I have 6 to go....almost there!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 10:27:25 AM »

Well maybe because my labs are pretty good (everything is in the good range except Calcium which is just around 2.6 so a bit high)... I don't know but I do know I've not done anything specific to a transplant.. at least they've never told me anyway. I did a bunch of like EKG's and ultrasounds and god knows what for a trial I was on, but that was for the trial... but I do know I'm on the list. I must ask the co-ordinator next time I see her.

However I do know I am on the list!

The list! The List!!! I don't know why but I have images of Schindler's List running through my head....

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »

:banghead;  I was initially told it would be a four year wait. I thought to myself... o.k thats achievable... i can do it.

Yesterday... a different consultant told me its a seven year wait. Same hospital different doctor different answers.   :urcrazy;

PKD
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »

Wattle i got told ll different average weight time also..... 3 ...7 ... 10!!! i don't even bother asking now! They don't have any idea  :urcrazy; I guess its a lottery... your time can come at any time.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »

When Jenna was 1st listed they said it was a 4 - 6 year wait for O blood types (Los Angeles.) At her 1 year follow-up apppointment they said it was a 5 - 7 year wait. At her annual appointment after 2 years they said it was STILL 5 - 7 years.
ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! :banghead;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »

Its o.k. I am still telling myself... "You can do it" I suppose I just have to suck it up!   :boxing;

PKD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »