I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 11:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  New transplant patients living with children who get colds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New transplant patients living with children who get colds  (Read 5100 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: December 03, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

What happens when a new transplant patient goes home and their children or spouse gets a cold/sick?  Rob is having someone get tested right now (they just need to lose 10 pounds and can finish their last round of testing).  If it's a go and it happens in January, what happens if me or my son get a cold (which I usually do in the winter) right after he comes home?  I'm so scared this will happen and he will get really sick since his immune system will be so weak.

Any thoughts?

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »

I did get sick a few times. I have 4 kids. The worse time was when my white blood count dropped. People around me seem to get sick more than I do. Knock on wood! Everything goes through the dish washer here. I do have to constantly remind the kids when they are sick to wash their hands often and try not to cough or sneeze on me. We've had a few cases of strep and a case of mono here, but I was lucky not to catch it.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »

I've been sick twice in recent months with colds and Stephen hasn't shown any symptoms at all (6 mo. post transplant).  When our son came home for fall break in October with a terrible cough, I thought that would be the real test, since Will is  not super careful about washing his hands, covering his cough, etc.  Well, I caught a cold within days, but Stephen didn't.  Stephen didn't get sick much before the transplant and despite his suppressed immune system he isn't showing a high susceptibility now.  Makes you wonder about how this immunity stuff works...

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:13:25 AM »

I was often around people with colds and germs during my transplant, even in the early stages since I returned to work (at a university) after 5 weeks.  I washed my hands frequently but I'm far from obsessive.  I was often the one who did NOT catch bugs that were going around which surprised me somewhat.  The rub was that if I did get anything it would take me three times as long as the next person to recover.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:52:50 AM »

This gives me hope!  :2thumbsup;  Rob has a pretty good immune system now, he barely gets colds or sick (but when he does, he really gets sick).  On the other hand, I get colds a LOT.  Our son is a typical 4th grader who touches everything and hardly washes his hands, so he gets colds also. 

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »

Jenna is the oldest of 4 kids so there were lots of opportunities for colds (her transplant was in Jan.) so after her first month (away from home, down at the transplant city) she was exposed to everyone. I asked her 11 year old brother to cut back on visitors for a while, and everyone that came over had to wash their hands at the sink as soon as they came in the back door. She has been very healthy since the transplant so we've been lucky so far!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:54:17 PM »

My transplant surgeon said "You're going to get colds."  Expect it.  Hand washing is one of your main defenses.  Keep hugging, kissing, unecessary touching to a minimum when someone in the household is sick.  Do your best to avoid people who have a runny nose, cough, sneezing, fever, etc.

Did anyone see the show on the Discovery Health with Dr. Oz regarding "Our Immune System".  He said that 80-85% of cold and flu viruses are passed on by touch.  The touching of people who are sick and the touching of things others may have touched with germs on their hands.  KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR FACE, EYES, MOUTH, NOSE.  Wash your hands and use hand sanitizers regularly.

I'll see if I can find the show on-line...

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »

Tomorrow is 6 months post tx for me and hubby has been sick twice.... I didn't catch it either time... We just didn't kiss... he slept facing the other direction... and we washed our hands alot

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:20:14 AM »

Six months!   :clap;   Time flys, huh?   You're doing great, Donnia!  I can't wait for us to meet and visit!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »