I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:48:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Who can eat at your clinic while dialyzing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who can eat at your clinic while dialyzing?  (Read 71323 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 04:26:36 PM »

I thought it was hilarious when they put a soda drink machine in the waiting area of the dialysis unit.  Why don't they just hand us a knife or gun while they are at it?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 03:02:27 AM »

Just a money making thing for the UNIT ;) Maybe thats why they ended the drinks trolleys. Never had a problem on the unit I am on. You get TOLD you are only allowed one drink off the trolley. I always have a cup of ice. But I take a small can of coke in with me 150mils.Some patients I have seem with those 500mils bottles of coke :-\

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 09:51:47 PM »

One patient orders Chinese food to be delivered while he's on dialysis.       :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:39:03 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 01:56:11 AM »

Some patients I have seem with those 500mils bottles of coke :-\
Oh yes I have noticed that too!! And first thing I think of "bet their Phosphate is high when it is labwork day!!" ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006, 11:39:11 AM »

::) It appears that our center has double standards. Depending on which nurse is working. Just last week I was reamed when eating my pineapple and cottage cheese..Directly after taking insulin. Not that her Outburst effected my eating..I just looked at her as if she has lost her mind. Mentioned to her that she might stroll around the room and notice the rest that were eating instead of standing over me like I was the only one in the room. I mentioned that I recall he buying crab cakes the day before form a patient they allow to come in and sell to patients and staff. And the boiled peanuts she was eating in front of us was uncouth. She accomplished nothing other than too raise my BP....Yes, appears rules are double standard, and thus meaning that the snack machine and the coke machine must be for money making and we are to buy as we leave..... I don't think so..As long as I take insulin, I will eat something thank you. Not into bottoming out on my blood sugar. So if you see a tent in my chair it's cause I am under cover eating...lol..note to self: take larger blanket. >:D...Sassy
Minea
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 01:24:18 AM »

In Finland it is highly recommended to eat something during dialysis. In most hospitals (most of clinics are in hospitals) they bring us full meals (also dessert :)). But they do not recomment to drink more than 2 dl.
keith

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2006, 03:42:53 PM »

it all depends on how i feel but 99.9% of the time I'm eating something,if it's not chic wings, it's cheez burgers, bag of chips,bottle of Gatorade,and some hard candy.the staff tells everyone that they can't eat, they tell me the same but like i told them I'm going to eat even if i have to hide it.and they haven't bothered me in 5yrs.

Life ain't Life wit out Me!!! U Heard Me  
Transplanted on 12-6-2007 on dialysis7+yrs
Started Dover dialysis support group. A group for patients, familyand friends.
NOW RUN-Tel-Dat
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:26 AM »

Corn chips and protein drink.  And then 3 PhosLo     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 11:55:45 PM »

My daughter's clinic has no restrictions to eating or drinking when on dialysis.
They usually just want to take the measurement of the beverage into account for weight.
My friend in France said they have menus and food at her unit, you can order when you
arrive and it will be served to you!
~Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pigsty1953

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 11:54:35 PM »

I tried  not eating while on dialysis, and I got bad cramps.
I am on for 3.5 hrs starting at 11 am.
So i eat some cereal and toast in the morning.
Then I bring two bagels and a soda to nosh on while I am on.

If I don't eat while I am on, my sugar drops very low.

Take care,
Randy in Clearwater, FL
Russ

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2006, 08:23:47 AM »

My clinic doesn't really allow eating but some patients eat anyway.  OMG, yesterday a female patient ate 2 Sonic foot long hot dogs and a Route 44 soda.  I'm diabetic and my run time is 5 hours so I'm in the clinic a total of 6 hours which makes it tough. I always have Tic Tacs or mints or something in my pocket at the clinic.  A few times my sugar dropped too low and they had to call my wife to bring me something to eat.  They don't even have a snack machine to buy crackers.
Panda_9

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 04:30:50 PM »

My clinic doesn't really allow eating but some patients eat anyway.  OMG, yesterday a female patient ate 2 Sonic foot long hot dogs and a Route 44 soda.  I'm diabetic and my run time is 5 hours so I'm in the clinic a total of 6 hours which makes it tough. I always have Tic Tacs or mints or something in my pocket at the clinic.  A few times my sugar dropped too low and they had to call my wife to bring me something to eat.  They don't even have a snack machine to buy crackers.

Thats pathetic! If I were you I would bring your own food, even if its just something light like a sandwhich or some crackers. If they say anything tell them to get stuffed!! Just use common sense, if your BP is low (say under 110), then obviously its probably not a good idea to eat, but if its fine, then by all means eat. You dont want to be going hypo, as Im sure the nurses would LOVE that!
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

When I first started at my clinic we were able to eat.  Back then it was a RCG clinic.  Now we are Fresenius  >:(  and are not able to eat.  I still see people eating all the time.  I dont think the nurses care too much.  I use to eat but everytime I did I would cramp real bad.  So I don't eat anymore.  Once in awhile one of the nurses...if I ask her will give me some animal crackers.  Just a few.  I get up a 4 am, usually get home close to 11 am then I finally get to eat.  So I go all that time without eating usually.  If I am really hungry after dialysis I will go to the Sonic up the street from my unit. 

One time the head nurse was taking orders for McDonald's from the other nurses.  I wanted something also, so she bought me a happy meal.  I couldnt believe she did that.  Shes awesome ! ! !

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Panda_9

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2006, 03:41:05 AM »

4-11am isnt too bad. If you have breakfast before you leave. An in centre run for me is, leave home at 7am, get home at 5pm.
Russ

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2006, 11:13:52 AM »

4-11am isnt too bad. If you have breakfast before you leave. An in centre run for me is, leave home at 7am, get home at 5pm.

Holy cow, Amber.  That's a long day.  Is your clinic a far distance?
Panda_9

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2006, 02:50:11 AM »

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 03:41:12 PM by aMbEr_79 » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »

By car it is about 15 minutes. I usually get the bus though, and it takes me an hour to get there. I like to get there early so I can do 6 hours as the unit closes at 3.30pm and they like you off by 2.30pm so there is time for cleaning and what not.
I wish I could do 6 hrs instead of 3 1/2 but at the same time I hate even sitting for 3 hrs :P

One time the head nurse was taking orders for McDonald's from the other nurses.  I wanted something also, so she bought me a happy meal.  I couldnt believe she did that.  Shes awesome ! ! !
Wow that is cool! I would be eyeing them hoping they would ask me what I wanted too as I love McD's even though I am aware how bad it is. I love BigMac's but I heard that they don't have them everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:04:43 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »

The bigmac is sold world wide and there are McDonald's resterants everywhere but I noticed in Canada that they have a double bigmac and I have never seem them here unless it was custom made to order.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »

Oh that is right! It is the DOUBLE BigMac you guys don't have :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »

We do have the Monster Mac that they sell right around Halloween,  but i havent seen it advertised lately, and yes, you can tell them you want a Double Mac pretty much anywhere i would imagine. 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
sandman

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2006, 05:30:44 PM »

We do have the Monster Mac that they sell right around Halloween,  but i havent seen it advertised lately, and yes, you can tell them you want a Double Mac pretty much anywhere i would imagine. 

That's true goofynina.  You can walk in to just about any Mc D's and ask for a double big mac but here in the states, that is not normally on the menu like it is in Canada.  ;)
omapat

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2006, 11:37:15 PM »

John just take a root beer barrel and pop it into your mouth!! :clap; :clap; What will they do?? come with twizzers and take it away from you???  I have never seen a candy or food cop at the clinic's. LOL
I am encoraged to bring a sandwich or snack during treatment, and to always have candy or gum handy, (ok you caught me Im a diabetic!!) just say your sugars low that will keep them quite & you happy!  :cuddle;

OmaPat
number1nephnurse

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2006, 07:20:42 PM »

Well Johnny,

I understand and sympathize with your desire to eat a little something on the machine, however, there are valid reasons as to why one should not eat while "on" the machine.  #1. Sanitary reasons/ transmission of infectious disease, although you may not see or smell bacteria..it is lurking in your unit, maybe on a chair, on your television control, IN THE AIR, #2.  Blood pressure control, your "gut" utilizes a great amount of blood supply to assist with digestion of food, the greater amount of blood supply that is in the gut during dialysis means there is less in circulation which can cause adverse effects such as interdialytic hypotension, nausea, vomiting, passing out.  #3.  Most patients dialyzing are in the reclined position, this position is not a normal postion for eating, one might experience an hypotensive episode, pass out and aspirate the contents in his/her mouth at anytime.(It can happen) hence the the no eating rule.  Surely a nurse cannot physically remove a food item from your mouth..(unless it is an emergent situation  :-\) just know that there is a method to the madness at your unit.  Stay strong Johnny, maybe if you share a piece of candy with the staff they'll be to busy stuffing their faces and no one will notice that you are eating too.  Nurses love choc-co-latte you know.  :2thumbsup;

EDITED: Fixed multiple HTML tag errors. - Epoman, Owner/Admin

EDITED: To member, please do not use the HTML tags if you do not know how to use them - Epoman, Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:00:47 PM by Epoman » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2006, 11:06:55 PM »

IMHO I think it is left up to the dialysis patient in the end what he or she can handle when on dialysis.  I like to bring small snacks to eat while I am on the machine. Been doing it all along for almost eight years now.  I find a heavy meal is not very good. but light snacks such as cereal or crackers are okay.  If you are going to eat in your dialysis unit do so quietly and unobtrusively.  Do not say loudly :"Oh it is time to get the snacks out."   The techs and nurses are usually pretty busy answering machine alarms, putting people on and off ,or taking care of patients; they could care less what you are doing.  Just do not call attention to it-was what one nurse in a Hawaii unit on Oahu told me.  I just truck it in and let the crumbs fall where they may.  I have been to several different units and not one told me to stop eating anything.  I even had lunch from Burger King in Santa Maria while I was on the machine.  But I was tucked in the back of the unit in a private area. I wa son vacation and had not eaten anything for lunch yet and it was getting late and the grouchies were upon me.

Does anyone notice a difference if you a snack eat early or late in the run?   I have tried both and it seems to really not matter.  I have also discovered that a little protein in the snack goes along way to getting that ucky feeling afterwards to go away.  I usually bring string cheese or ham to go with the crackers. Just a few ideas.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
John S.

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 12:42:51 AM »

Well Johnny,

I understand and sympathize with your desire to eat a little something on the machine, however, there are valid reasons as to why one should not eat while "on" the machine.  #1. Sanitary reasons/ transmission of infectious disease, although you may not see or smell bacteria..it is lurking in your unit, maybe on a chair, on your television control, IN THE AIR, #2.  Blood pressure control, your "gut" utilizes a great amount of blood supply to assist with digestion of food, the greater amount of blood supply that is in the gut during dialysis means there is less in circulation which can cause adverse effects such as interdialytic hypotension, nausea, vomiting, passing out.  #3.  Most patients dialyzing are in the reclined position, this position is not a normal postion for eating, one might experience an hypotensive episode, pass out and aspirate the contents in his/her mouth at anytime.(It can happen) hence the the no eating rule.  Surely a nurse cannot physically remove a food item from your mouth..(unless it is an emergent situation  :-\) just know that there is a method to the madness at your unit.  Stay strong Johnny, maybe if you share a piece of candy with the staff they'll be to busy stuffing their faces and no one will notice that you are eating too.  Nurses love choc-co-latte you know.  :2thumbsup;

EDITED: Fixed multiple HTML tag errors. - Epoman, Owner/Admin

EDITED: To member, please do not use the HTML tags if you do not know how to use them - Epoman, Owner/Admin

Wow #1nephnurse...you really sound like you know the protocol for the no eating rule. You also sound just like the mini-Hitlers at my clinic. For that reason, I will continue to sneak a couple pieces of candy to get me by. In my 12 years of dialysis (i am considered the SENIOR patient at my clinic) I have NEVER had a problem with any of the above problems you mentioned from eating. It may happen tomorrow, but I doubt it.

As for the chocolate for the staff...well i do love dark chocolate, so maybe i'll bring em' some to soothe the savage beasts. Anywhoooo.........thanks for breaking that news on the reasons for not eating, but i'll stick to my controlled insanity.

john
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »