I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:20:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Citizenship often determines medical care - Kidney dialysis is a case in point
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Citizenship often determines medical care - Kidney dialysis is a case in point  (Read 10378 times)
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »

As stated previously in my last post in this thread, (please read my link), and as Bigsky says, illegal immigration costs the U.S. 10 BILLION per year. We are no longer benefiting from their cheap labor. They are costing us money and the tax payers pay for it all!

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »

As for your comments Rerun (which my husband -- the one ON dialysis -- finds ridiculous), I think I will go out and get some ice cream with lots of phosphorous and potassium -- in your honor.

what a low blow to throw in the face of someone on dialysis-kind of mutes your point

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
florence

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »

It was a joke.  Rerun seemed to get it and I respect her for that.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »

I find it frustrating that our elected officials, regardless of party, do not seem to be able to make headway in dealing with the complex issues that our nation is facing - immigration and health care are two examples. 

FAIR, which is quoted in the article Sunny posted way down below, is, as far as I can tell, a non-partisan organization that is working on the immigration issue.  Here's their website: www.fairus.org

I sure don't want an illegal immigrant to get a kidney transplant in front of a US citizen (which means not at all in this country where kidneys are limited).  At the same time, it is not the responsibility of doctors and nurses, or even hospitals to be making policy on illegal immigration issues.  That's the job of the government.

States have the primary control of Medicaid policies (as mentioned in the original article).  That puts the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the governors, who have direct control over agency policies and submit the budgets.   Legislators aren't off the hook.  They pass the laws and modify the budget (at least that's how it works in Virginia). 

It's good to remember the old adage "all politics is local."  Your elected officials need and want your vote.  As soon as this election is over, your have an opportunity to contact them and tell them what you think.  They will listen, because even though the lobbyists have money, only you have the vote.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »

It was a joke.  Rerun seemed to get it and I respect her for that.

good for you- I thought it was rude- just saying so.  :twocents;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »

As someone who has been waiting FIVE YEARS for a kidney on the transplant list, continues to work full time and pay my taxes, I am EXTREMELY ANGRY at this story.

One of the syndicated talk show "Jon & Ken" addressed this story when someone brought it to their attention a few weeks ago.  They couldn't believe that this is going on.

I think we all know why the government gives illegals preferential treatments over hard working Americans: they want to try amnesty again, give them all citizenship and then have access to their votes to stay in power.

I'm ashamed, disgusted and angry at the way my government is giving away services to those who DON'T PAY TAXES.

I guess I'll have to take care of this illegal problem myself since my government, and especially the current administration, doesn't seem to give a damn.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »