I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Going Abroad for Kidney Transplant is Not Worth the Trip
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going Abroad for Kidney Transplant is Not Worth the Trip  (Read 2212 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: October 24, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »

Going Abroad for Kidney Transplant is Not Worth the Trip

June Chen, MD
Oct. 24, 2008

Hundreds of Americans go abroad each year for kidney transplants in order to avoid the long waiting lists in the United States. People who leave the country for these transplants experience more severe post-operative complications, more infections, and a higher risk for acute organ rejection, according to a new study published in the upcoming November issue of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

Researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and their colleagues compared the health conditions of 66 patients who had undergone kidney transplant at UCLA with the conditions of 33 people who had gone abroad for their transplants. A year after transplant, kidney rejection occurred in 30% of those who had gone out of the country and 12% who had undergone transplant at UCLA. 'Transplant tourists' were also three times more likely to be hospitalized for infection after their transplant operation.

In the United States, the average wait for a kidney transplant is approximately five years. Buying or selling human tissue is illegal in the United States, but for many who are awaiting transplant, it is tempting to go abroad and buy organs. However, in other countries, these patients run the risk of poor preventive care for infections and of not knowing where the organs come from or what the health status of the donor was. Although people with chronic kidney disease may feel desperate to free themselves from dialysis, the relative risks and benefits of becoming a transplant tourist should be carefully considered.

Source
News release, American Society of Nephrology.

http://www.healthandage.com/public/news/16803/Going-Abroad-for-Kidney-Transplant-is-Not-Worth-the-Trip.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hippy

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:33:30 AM »

http://www.doh.gov.ph/node/1986/print  DOH Clarifies Exemption of 8 Foreigners for Kidney Transplant. I had read elsewhere that in the Philippines they will allow the donors to be tested at any lab of our choosing and to have American Doctors check everything about the donor.

I suppose that Dr. Chen in warning us not to go overseas was talking about her homeland of China, where they were executing prisoners for the organs. Dr June Chen talks about Transplant Tourists, is she a Transplant Tourist from China ?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »

http://www.doh.gov.ph/node/1986/print  DOH Clarifies Exemption of 8 Foreigners for Kidney Transplant. I had read elsewhere that in the Philippines they will allow the donors to be tested at any lab of our choosing and to have American Doctors check everything about the donor.

I suppose that Dr. Chen in warning us not to go overseas was talking about her homeland of China, where they were executing prisoners for the organs. Dr June Chen talks about Transplant Tourists, is she a Transplant Tourist from China ?

I'm confused.  Oh no Monrein, not again, you confused.  Anyhow, what is there here to suggest that Dr. Chen is anything other than a doctor with a Chinese sounding name?  What is there to suggest that she wasn't born in the US?  There is no mention of China and how did you come to the conclusion that she herself might be a transplant tourist from China?
I remain confused.  My assumption would be that she is a researcher or a medical journalist but I don't know that for sure either.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »

I had read elsewhere that in the Philippines they will allow the donors to be tested at any lab of our choosing and to have American Doctors check everything about the donor.

Sounds fishy to me.
Are you going to send your American doctor to the Philippines to check out the "donor?"

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »

Just something for the rich, over zealous, and dumb to do who have no patience for waiting?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Hippy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:11:45 PM »

Monrein, I may be wrong in assuming that Dr. Chen was referring to China , when she writes "going abroad".  But if she really means all the other countries in the world , then she is a nut case. Anyway the main article hasn't been printed yet, but I intend to read it as well as information from that Mitch in the Philippines,fastertransplant@yahoo.com.
 Chris, I do think it is good to get all the information to speed up to normal , getting a kidney transplant. I think that waiting 5 years on a list is not patience but rather insanity. As for being rich, Joe the plumber isn't rich and he could pay for 3 or 4 transplants "overseas".
 Zach, Doctors don't need to travel to examine a patient or donor. They can use Teleconferences or a computer video conference. But who needs that American Doctor anyway, if he can't provide the needed Transplant Surgery.
  Maybe Obama can change this absurd waiting list nonsense with his new ideas on providing Universal Health care.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:56:24 AM »

Monrein, I may be wrong in assuming that Dr. Chen was referring to China , when she writes "going abroad".  But if she really means all the other countries in the world , then she is a nut case. Anyway the main article hasn't been printed yet, but I intend to read it as well as information from that Mitch in the Philippines,fastertransplant@yahoo.com.
 Chris, I do think it is good to get all the information to speed up to normal , getting a kidney transplant. I think that waiting 5 years on a list is not patience but rather insanity. As for being rich, Joe the plumber isn't rich and he could pay for 3 or 4 transplants "overseas".
 Zach, Doctors don't need to travel to examine a patient or donor. They can use Teleconferences or a computer video conference. But who needs that American Doctor anyway, if he can't provide the needed Transplant Surgery.
  Maybe Obama can change this absurd waiting list nonsense with his new ideas on providing Universal Health care.

But Hippy, no one is suggesting that "all the other countries in the world" are involved in selling organs to transplant tourists.  Rather, it would be poor people selling to wealthier people.  Here is a quote from a medical blog about countries involved.

"Given that Organ Transplantation Tourism depends on poor people giving up their organs it is not difficult to imagine the origin and destination of this trade. David Spurgeon (quoting Professor Daar, Canada: BMJ) identifies the Philippines, Iraq, China, India, South Africa, Turkey and Eastern Europe as destinations for transplant tourists. However, the Lancet commentary reports that the representatives of the Declaration of Istanbul have “played major roles in the promulgation” of laws and regulations affecting transplantation tourism in China, Pakistan and the Philippines. Although the Australian website abc.net.au on 12 August 2008, had a story with the headlines: Australia urged to ban China’s ’transplant tourism’. Shimazono quoting an Organs Watch report, identifies the following major countries as “organ importing countries” (origin of tourists): Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the USA."  (http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2007/04/transplant-tourism.html)

I'll also say that a Universal Health Care system does not ensure an increase in the availability of organs for transplant.  There is still a 5-6 year (and longer in some cases) wait for a cadaveric kidney transplant here in
Canada.
I'm also quite unclear about how a doctor can do an assessment of a potential donor by teleconference or video conference.  My sister-in-law comes here a week from today to do her testing and they need her here in person to complete all of the necessary tests in order to ensure HER safety as much as possible.  Long distance approval would seem to be in the primary self-interest of the wealthier recipient and I wouldn't trust it to protect my loved ones.

One last point.  I am perhaps insane, although people are kind enough not to suggest it too often, but I waited 5 years last time for my cadaver transplant and would wait again even though I technically could travel abroad and do the transplant tourism thing.  I do not judge people who do so, but it is not for me and I would indeed wait patiently even if it is "insane" in your view.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:56:02 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:11 AM »

Hippy, I say go to the Philippines and have it done.  Then report back to us with the results. Salamat po.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »