I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula protector?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula protector?  (Read 11470 times)
Rusty

« on: August 14, 2006, 12:55:19 PM »

When I found this forum I was searching for a company or catalog that sells accessories for dialysis patients.

What I am looking for is a protector for my lower arm fistula. It's quite old and the aneurisms are very large. I usually wear 5 inch sleeves made from cut-off cotton athletic socks. See the links to pictures below. (Notice my return is in my upper arm. That may be why I get such great clearance, 78% URR at 3:10.)

I would like to find something that offered a little more protection from sharp edged objects, such as a sleeve made from plastic coated nylon mesh or kevlar mesh. It would have to be ventilated so that it could breath freely, and a zipper would be helpful so that it could fit snugly.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I was hoping to find a catalog, but nothing so far. Thanks,
Rusty

http://www.kathyspark.com/images/Fistula protector_sm.jpg
http://www.kathyspark.com/images/fistula arm_sm.jpg
http://www.kathyspark.com/images/Fistula ugly_sm.jpg

Lean into it and keep on truckin'
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:10:01 AM »

Try Kid's Soccar shin guards.  The cloth kind.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:38:21 AM »

When I found this forum I was searching for a company or catalog that sells accessories for dialysis patients.

What I am looking for is a protector for my lower arm fistula. It's quite old and the aneurisms are very large. I usually wear 5 inch sleeves made from cut-off cotton athletic socks. See the links to pictures below. (Notice my return is in my upper arm. That may be why I get such great clearance, 78% URR at 3:10.)

I would like to find something that offered a little more protection from sharp edged objects, such as a sleeve made from plastic coated nylon mesh or kevlar mesh. It would have to be ventilated so that it could breath freely, and a zipper would be helpful so that it could fit snugly.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I was hoping to find a catalog, but nothing so far. Thanks,
Rusty

http://www.kathyspark.com/images/Fistula protector_sm.jpg
http://www.kathyspark.com/images/fistula arm_sm.jpg
http://www.kathyspark.com/images/Fistula ugly_sm.jpg

Hi Rusty,

Can you please ATTACH pictures instead of linking, read the rules section regarding pictures for a better understanding of why I prefer ATTACHED instead of "links" http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.0 Here are the rules and reasons:

About pictures, I do allow pictures. However I do ask that you do 2 things. 1st, resize the picture, please make it as small as possible, preferably no bigger than 450X450 pixels, I ask that you size the pic for two reasons, one is many people still use 800X600 resolution on their monitor and if the picture is to big they will have to scroll to see the whole picture. And the bigger the picture the more bandwidth it uses, the more bandwidth it uses the more it costs me, so please keep all pictures below 150kb. 2nd, do not "link" pictures, meaning do not use the link button to link to an outside site. If that link dies then all we will see is a little red "x". You must use the "attach picture" button located in the "Additional Options" link.

About outside links to either PDF's, pictures, videos, etc. PLEASE DO NOT link them. If it is a worthy video, picture, or PDF, I can host it on the site, so we NEVER have dead links. I reserve the right to delete any and all outside links. So please ATTACH everything, if you can't attach it, ask me if I could attach it for you. To clarify to ALL members, I HATE OUTSIDE LINKS, DO NOT POST LINKS to files, links to a website is ok, but please do not link things like: pictures, flash, pdf's, videos, etc, etc. See the rule above to understand why.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 01:40:13 AM »

Try Kid's Soccar shin guards.  The cloth kind.

That's what I use a "Shin Guard" made of cloth,  :) I got a bigger size than my arm would need so I don't hurt the circulation of the fistula, now it won't protect it but it will stop the little kids from screaming when they see my arm.  :(

P.S. you really don't want it to fit "snugly"  :-\
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:42:00 AM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »

Hi Rusty,

Can you please ATTACH pictures instead of linking, read the rules section regarding pictures for a better understanding of why I prefer ATTACHED instead of "links" http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.0 Here are the rules and reasons:

Sorry about breaking the rules.  Before I posted, I had resized them all to 68K, 56K, and 56K bytes, and that's my own website I stored them on.  I'll get back and edit the post today so that it adheres to the rules.  I did read the rules but I probably skimmed that part.  It's the first time I ever posted pics to a board.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:10:30 AM by Rusty » Logged

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:08:12 PM »

So it is aneurisms that make it look like that? There is a guy and a girl in my unit with a fistula like that. They are huge and before I got mine I was worried it would look like that but am glad mine is barely noticeable except for the bulge I got after they went in and cleared blockage.

What causes aneurysms? I am still learning.

As for a fistula protector, you could always get together materials and make one that is best for your arm??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 08:07:35 AM »

Rusty

You might check into the arm protectors used when shooting a compound bow.  They come in different sizes.  Got hit with my bow string once and got a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my arm.   ;D  That was the last time I shoot a bow without the arm protection.

Here is a link to what I am talking about. 

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/brand.asp?brand=NEET

Just a note.  I have not bought anything from this company so I am not endorsing it.  Merely using their site to show what the product I am talking about looks like.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 08:10:58 AM by BigSky » Logged
Rusty

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »

So it is aneurisms that make it look like that? There is a guy and a girl in my unit with a fistula like that. They are huge and before I got mine I was worried it would look like that but am glad mine is barely noticeable except for the bulge I got after they went in and cleared blockage.

Yes, those unsightly bumps are nice warm high pressure blood.  They began to look like that after a few years, but not too bad for a while.  After about 10 years, I noticed people talking to my arm instead of my face.  I guess it's sort of like what some of you girls get, only it's another part of your anatomy people talk to  >:D.  But some fistulas never get like that.  Everybody is different, but multiple sticks contribute, and I bet buttonholing will delay it for a lot longer.  They didn't have that when I was trained.  If I busted one open, I probably couldn't stop it... Ugh...shiver... awful thought, but you can probably see my point about protection.

You might check into the arm protectors used when shooting a compound bow.  They come in different sizes.  Got hit with my bow string once and got a bruise the size of a grapefruit on my arm.   ;D  That was the last time I shoot a bow without the arm protection.

Here is a link to what I am talking about. 

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/brand.asp?brand=NEET

Just a note.  I have not bought anything from this company so I am not endorsing it.  Merely using their site to show what the product I am talking about looks like.

Thanks for the link.  I hadn't thought of archery supplies.  I'll try to take a look and see what they have.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:25:18 AM »

Yes, those unsightly bumps are nice warm high pressure blood.  They began to look like that after a few years, but not too bad for a while.  After about 10 years, I noticed people talking to my arm instead of my face.  I guess it's sort of like what some of you girls get, only it's another part of your anatomy people talk to  >:D.  But some fistulas never get like that.  Everybody is different, but multiple sticks contribute, and I bet buttonholing will delay it for a lot longer.  They didn't have that when I was trained.  If I busted one open, I probably couldn't stop it... Ugh...shiver... awful thought, but you can probably see my point about protection.

Wow! Thank you! I was asking at the unit for about 9 months now and could never get any answers! Thank you! It is sooooo appreciated!  :)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »

Wow! Thank you! I was asking at the unit for about 9 months now and could never get any answers! Thank you! It is sooooo appreciated!  :)

You know Angie I am always hearing you say things like that about your unit, I highly reccomend you change units ASAP, because it seems the workers there are very stupid or just don't give a shit. So please for your own safety please change units.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Panda_9

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »

Definitely dont ever put anything tight around your fistula. My surgeon even told me not to wear tops with tight sleeves.
Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:30:33 PM »

Mr Rusty-

What does your nephrologist say about that fistula? 

Sometimes after you have a fistula for a long time, the proximal veins (higher up on your arm) get so big that the surgeon can make a fistula in the upper arm and tie off the aneurysms in the lower arm. 

Tough call....one one hand..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it."   
On the other hand, aneurysms can get worse in time, and either thrombose or, although rare, rupture (...which is bad)

I would talk about this with your doc. 8)

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »

You know Angie I am always hearing you say things like that about your unit, I highly reccomend you change units ASAP, because it seems the workers there are very stupid or just don't give a shit. So please for your own safety please change units.  :)

Epoman, I can't  :'(

You see ... my situation .. to say it short so I don't take this off topic.. is that I have no car, live in a small city and the closest unit is 2 and a half hours away ... so it is just simply impossible for me :(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Rusty

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 07:59:42 PM »

Mr Rusty-

What does your nephrologist say about that fistula? 

Sometimes after you have a fistula for a long time, the proximal veins (higher up on your arm) get so big that the surgeon can make a fistula in the upper arm and tie off the aneurysms in the lower arm. 

Tough call....one one hand..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it."   
On the other hand, aneurysms can get worse in time, and either thrombose or, although rare, rupture (...which is bad)

I would talk about this with your doc. 8)

Exactly... all of what you said, in almost those exact words.  I have talked to the surgeon.
And yes, he said he could make an instant fistula in my upper arm if it comes to it.  However, I'm the type of patient that has all that shit happen that they warn of "a slight chance, but rarely happens."  Plus I'm anticoagulated because of my St. Jude artificial aortic valve, so surgery is also trickier.  Got that for Valentines Day 1994.

Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »

Hmmmm....

So... I said the same thing your surgeon said.....not sure if I should take that as a complement or an insult! ;)

Here is a joke....
Q:  How do you hide a $20 bill from a surgeon?
A:  Hide it in a textbook!

-Good luck! :)

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
Rusty

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 10:02:29 AM »

Yep!  Except for the, "If it aint broke...," part. That was me talking.  Those cutters will cut anything on a whim if you let'm.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »