I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Sluff and Southyard meet!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sluff and Southyard meet!  (Read 16563 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

Fontana is a real friendly pup.
southyard

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

Fontana is a real friendly pup.

Yes she is but then no longer a pup  our vet put her age at about 4 1/2 to 5 yrs.
After a very bad morning on the machine( Had my dr been there I would have told him to make the call to the hospice and I would quit cold)  I slept most of the time after I returned home. Mary said I looked terrible when walked in was sure of it when I refused to watch the noon news.  about 3:30 I heard noised in the backyard. I knew son was to assmble the new grill the kids bout me for a early BD present But looking out the window I noted all the grandkids and great ones too were playng with fonty.  Seeing she sloobers the ball son always uses a glove  The kids passed the glove to one anther to throw the ball.  There grand mother watching with great approval.  On nice days Tym takes Fonty into the alley and throws the ball as far as he can.  Oll neighbors know when he does this to drive carefull and let their kids out to join the fun I went out a sat to enjoy it while I could also.  The only one who paid me attention was Julie the grdma and her son.

we share all our blessings and they are all aware of my condition and future plans.Most of our neighbors a good people tho not as friendly as when we first moved here in 1972.  But that is in every area and town.

Tommorrow Saterday I will start to cook our sunday repast.  I have a 5# rump roast marinating and will be making saueur braten.  Sunay morning oldest daughter will be over to get the lesson shes been wanting for years. How to make potato dumplingsI was taught this recipe by my Mother who stressed if you cant taste your own creation for flavor and such  dont cook.  I nly wish I had mastered here art in yaest doughs.  After all these years mine still fall flat.  During the time I have alloted myself I will once again try a loaf or 2 or bread
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

Potato dumplings!!    Yummy..

Are you of German origin, Southyard?

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »

Sounds great Southyard.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

Thank you for sharing with us southyard...
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

MMMMmmmm I had yummy sauerbraten at Mader's in Milwaukee in July - it was so good!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »

Oh man, Southyard, rump roast and potato dumplings.  Please post the recipe.  It sounds so delicious.  What is Sunday repast, Southyard?

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »

What is Sunday repast, Southyard?

'repast' is just a fancy word for 'meal' 'dinner'

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
southyard

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »

Potato dumplings!!    Yummy..

Are you of German origin, Southyard?

sorry but I am not German. I am the last in our family that is a FULL BLOODED BOHEMIAN
Grand parents on both side came to the US thru Ellis Island. When I was little and grandma was alive we spoke both english and bohemian. She was proud of her liniage and also becoming a US Citzen  Therefore when we were in public we had to speak english  Not like the wetbacks today who dont even teach there offspring english  Pease excuse my soap boxing but I am proud of being an AMERCAN

Edited: Fixed quote tag error - okarol, admin
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:18:20 PM by okarol » Logged
southyard

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »

MMMMmmmm I had yummy sauerbraten at Mader's in Milwaukee in July - it was so good!
  I will admit that Maders does/did have a good recipe  But it has been commercialized. Karl Ratches is a lot better and is a more upscale establishemnt

My dumplings are the very heavy kind that stay with you.  They are seasoned with parsley flakes,asst spices( whatevers on hand) garlic and the personal touch of my fingers.  I mix them by hand and taste as I go along.  Due to dietic restrictions I have cut back on the salt bot 100%.

Oldest daughter works part time in a store selling strictly german products From food to clothes etc. She is furnishing a jar of german style red cabbage. This has a sweet sour base and melds with sauerbraten.  Our other condimentwill be a cranberry,orage relish . I can eat this like applesauce.

We will be dining at 2PM sunday afternoopn. You are invited
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »

I wish I could pull up a chair at your table!  It all sounds wonderful.   I hope you have a lovely day, sharing good food with your family.    :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
southyard

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »

I wish I could pull up a chair at your table!  It all sounds wonderful.   I hope you have a lovely day, sharing good food with your family.    :grouphug;

Long ago I discovered that if I dont have a lovely day I alone am to blame. . Now if I could say the same for the countries financial delemina  I would make instant changes

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:01:44 PM by Sluff » Logged
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »

You are so right.  We do have responsibility for our own "lovely" days.  You seem do know how to appreciate what you have.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
southyard

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »

and I hope eevry

I am npw classified as drunk  To hell with dialysus
Oh man, Southyard, rump roast and potato dumplings.  Please post the recipe.  It sounds so delicious.  What is Sunday repast, Southyard?

T m\mea;memerorablr
 daughter t\who male the tdumplimgd(uner supervision) did a good Job  She also had over her newest male friend  We chatted deeply abt WW things.  Thn I prceeded inti a dfew maretiinis

Thery are not on mydiet But neietther are more years of my Lid\fe  IHD  The meal was delectable and I willl enjoy s few more

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

Hey Southyard buddy, alcohol and keyboards don't mix  :rofl; I would fix that for you but the owner of the site never wanted us to modify spelling errors.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »

WOW Southyard sounds like you had a lovely day.  Tomorrow may be a tuffie, tho.
Take care.

Love, Mimi
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:08:34 PM by Mimi » Logged

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »

So where is that recipe?????  You have me here drooling.......

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:45 AM »

Hello Southyard, My family on my dad's side comes from the Swiss-German border area and his grandparents came in through Ellis Island, too.  I know it's not Bohemia, but it sounds like there are some similarities in the food.  When my grandmother was alive she would make sauerbraten, red cabbage, and green beans with spaetzle when she came to visit.  Unfortunately, I never got her recipes, mostly because it wasn't sinking in that she wouldn't be around forever and I was still in high school.  Then she moved to southern California with my Aunt and I hardly ever saw her.  I would love to have your recipes if you decide to post them.  thanks!

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
MIbarra
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »

Pelagia,

I don't do saurbraten (not a big fan) and I don't do my own potato dumplings like Southyard, but I do make my own spaetzle. It's rather easy and they go great with roast or any meat with a gravy actually. There's even Kaisespaetzle (spaetzle with cheese) that is so yummy..If you want that recipe I'll share it... just gotta find it first.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »

Pelagia,

I don't do saurbraten (not a big fan) and I don't do my own potato dumplings like Southyard, but I do make my own spaetzle. It's rather easy and they go great with roast or any meat with a gravy actually. There's even Kaisespaetzle (spaetzle with cheese) that is so yummy..If you want that recipe I'll share it... just gotta find it first.

that would be great, thanks!

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 07:34:20 PM »

I love spaetzels.  mmmm good.
MIbarra
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »

Spaetzle (German pasta)

1 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp margarine or butter

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet and mix. Put through a spaetzle maker over a big pot of boiling water. (If you don't have a spaetzle maker use a colander over the pot. Just kinda knead it through the colander and let the little noodles drop into the water (I think a cheese grater may work too). Let them boil about 5-10 minutes until firm but not hard. Drain.

I like to fry mine up in butter after they are done just for a bit and then serve with whatever gravy you are having.

For the cheese spaetzle, make the spaetzle.. Then fry up some diced onion in pan, add the spaetzle, then add Emmenthaler (sp?) cheese until melted.

My aunt used to make this for lunch when we visited Germany. It was so yummy.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »

thanks!  I'll let you know when I try it.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »

I put spaetzle in my chicken noodle soup........

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »

Sluff, how is Southyard?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »