I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New to this site
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to this site  (Read 1804 times)
atech

« on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »

Hi everyone :waving; It's me again. Thanks for all of your very nice welcomes. I also want to say thank you for helping me navigate my way through this site. I am trying to figure out where I go to post a comment. I don't want to offend anyone, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to introduce myself. I am a tech, been working in healthcare since 1992, 4 years in dialysis. I love my job as well as my patients. I have been very blessed to have both great teammates as well as fabulous patients. I work 5 pm to 5 am doing nocturnal dialysis. We have been doing nocturnal dialysis in our unit for going on 3 years. Our patients love it. :bandance; I know they don't love the dialysis but they love the opportunity to be able to run at night. It is awesome for our patients that are still able to work. For the most part they are able to sleep.( lights are out around 10 pm) We have a couple of woman that come in their pj's. They said if they are going to be here this long they are going to be comfy.  :) I was wondering do any of you know if nocturnal is offered in your area? Just curious. Would like to know how others feel about nocturnal. (patients view as well as staff) would love to hear positives as well as negs. I wanted to say one more thing before I go. I am so very sorry as to some of the comments i have read on here. I am sorry some of you have to go through what you have went through. As far as me being a tech I pray I have never treated anyone like some of you all have commented on the way some techs have treated you. I hope i have never sounded sharp or short to anyone. You all have made me take a long look at myself and I made a promise to take more time and listen. I think I do really good on this subject but vowing to do better. Thank you all for making me feel welcome................. :grouphug;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:50 AM »

I would love to do nocturnal at our unit but that will never happen I'm afraid (silly really since it's a hospital unit,. so the place is always open!)... but then again I'd want a bed, and they'd get unhappy with that I bet! That would be so cool to rock up, change into pj's, and sleep for 6-8 hours do dialysis get a lot more rubbish out of the system, wake up and get on with the day.. if it were just that simple!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »

:welcomesign; atech.  Thank you so much for your dedication to good patient care and for your caring attitude.  Thank you also for not getting defensive when reading our complaints or irritations but rather taking them as a helpful way to become better in your job.  We need you guys so much but just hate losing ourselves to the big D.  Post often with questions or comments, everything is welcome.
We do nocturnal here in Toronto and have been since 1994.  I believe it was pioneered here by DR Robert Uldall.

http://www.renalweb.com/guest/lit/mwilliams/FAQs.htm

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:14 AM »

It's great that you have joined up and that you are reading and learning. I salute you for taking the initiative to see this through the eyes of those who do dialysis.

:flower;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »