I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Law and Order case about kidney removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Law and Order case about kidney removal  (Read 5285 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: August 12, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »

Can't believe I am watching Law and Order and the issue is people harvesting kidneys,etc.  They are debating the rights and wrongs of selling kidneys.  It is so strange to hear them discussing it, talking about dialysis, etc.  I am here saying 'this is not just a programme where I am concerned; they are talking about issues that affect our community here!'

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 09:04:44 PM »

I would like to see that.  ???

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »

I think I've seen that...is it a rerun?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 04:32:27 AM »

Sorry .. I did a search hoping to find it on utube but it is not there :(

I did however find this interesting debate on this topic..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
mitchorganbroker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 07:14:34 AM »

error
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:23:30 AM by mitchorganbroker » Logged
Fox_nc

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 11:19:57 AM »

The episode was called "Sonata For a Solo Organ."  It was a season 1 episode and aired in 1991 originally.  You may be able to catch it on TNT on a rerun, or you can rent it on-line from Blockbuster (shameless plug - sorry) It's on disc 6, episode 21.  It doesn't look like it will be on TNT soon, but you can check the upcoming episodes on their website. Law and Order on TNT

Synopsis - Sonata For a Solo Organ
An old "urban legend" is woven into this complicated tale of illegal medical procedures. The DA's office brings charges against a prominent surgeon (Paul Roebling) and the millionaire father (Fritz Weaver) of a kidney-transplant patient. It appears that the much-needed kidney was "harvested" against the will of the donor. "Sonata for a Solo Organ" represents a reunion of sorts for series regular Michael Moriarty and guest star Fritz Weaver, who previously appeared in the landmark miniseries Holocaust. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

If you couldn't tell, I'm also a Law and Order fan  :clap;

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »

If you couldn't tell, I'm also a Law and Order fan  :clap;

Ooh, me too!   :beer1;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:38:44 AM »

I think I saw that one...

I think it might have been one of the shows that I got ticked off at because they got some facts wrong.. like the girl would die without the kidney... and I know that's wrong, because I've lived without a working kidney for 2 and a half years now...

I think it's great that shows will tackle the issue.. but they need to get their facts straight...

Same as I got po'd at Oprah and Cojo when they neglected to tell their legions of fans that transplantation is a treatment and not a cure...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »

Same as I got po'd at Oprah and Cojo when they neglected to tell their legions of fans that transplantation is a treatment and not a cure...
Ya that is why someone should get on the Oprah show and tell people that!! Say how long we've been living without kidneys!! :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 11:28:12 PM »

On both our popular soaps at least one charater has had a transplant (liver and kidney). They make it look like its a very simple procedure, and getting a match is incredibly easy. They dont show anything about follow up care, medication side effects, nothing. The character has the op, recovers in a few days, and is back to normal. I know its only a show, but I think they should be a little more realistic about it and not make people beleive it is no big deal.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 06:28:18 AM »

On both our popular soaps at least one charater has had a transplant (liver and kidney). They make it look like its a very simple procedure, and getting a match is incredibly easy. They dont show anything about follow up care, medication side effects, nothing. The character has the op, recovers in a few days, and is back to normal. I know its only a show, but I think they should be a little more realistic about it and not make people beleive it is no big deal.

You can probably thank organizations such as the National Kidney Foundation for that.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

It's just my opinion, but I believe that the number of donated kidneys would go down if the general public is made aware that a transplant is not a "cure" for the recipient but simply a "treatment", which may be short or long term. :twocents;   A contributing factor in that decision would probably be that they do not know how difficult it is for most people to function on 3 x weekly dialysis, and how much better most people are after transplant.  A little knowledge can do more harm than good, which is why as someone suggested, we need an in depth program like "20/20" to educate the public.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 08:53:29 PM »

It's just my opinion, but I believe that the number of donated kidneys would go down if the general public is made aware that a transplant is not a "cure" for the recipient but simply a "treatment", which may be short or long term. :twocents;   A contributing factor in that decision would probably be that they do not know how difficult it is for most people to function on 3 x weekly dialysis, and how much better most people are after transplant.  A little knowledge can do more harm than good, which is why as someone suggested, we need an in depth program like "20/20" to educate the public.
Oh yes, I figure that is why the newspapers are so one sided as they are. But I totally agree with the 20/20 thing. That would be great! Maybe one day Epoman will be on there ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »