I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 10:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I am not feeling it today...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am not feeling it today...  (Read 5359 times)
Brightsky69

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »

OK...what is the deal with my new PD nurse. I know it's been 17 years since I last did peritoneal dialysis but the nurse I had then didn't waste time getting back to me. A week before I got this PD cathather put in I called the dialysis center hoping to talk to the PD nurse so i could get scheduled for training. I had to leave a voice mail as she wasn't there. I never got a reply back. I called another PD nurse hoping I could get someone on the phone (because i had questions) She directed me to call the PD nurse my doc had passed me on to. She even called that nurse and couldn't get ahold of her.
I called my PD nurse again this morning and had to leave another voice mail. Still i get no reply.
I would like to know how to properly change these bandages without giving my self an infection. I know it's only been 3 days but I think I could use a change.

Am I being too pushy?? I want to get the ball rollin !

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »

Not at all too pushy.  I'd be leaving my next voicemail with her supervisor.  If you are being a bit over anxious (and I'm not saying you are BTW) then she should be calling to reassure you.   :Kit n Stik;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »

Dang I agree w/Monrein!    I would not care if I *were* being too pushy because still they have not called you back to at least reassure you, that's BS!!!!   Also, like Monrein said, the next call WOULD be to their supervisor!!!!   It's your health AND peace of mind!!!!   KEEP ON, KEEPIN ON and MAKE SOMEONE call you back!    Dang!    That makes me madder & madder the more I think about it!    Let us know what happens, OK and good luck!

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Brightsky69

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »

Well...I called my kidney doc and left a message with him letting him know I don't even want to see that PD nurse. I told him I want to go to the PD clinic closer to my house. But when I called the closer clinic they said they didn't have any orders for me. Well...I can fix that.  >:D hence I called my kidney doc to have him send some orders over there. His secretary even asked me when was I scheduled for training. I told her the truth that I had tried to get ahold of that PD nurse they gave me but can't get her to call me back.
The PD nurse I called at the clinic close to my house was nice. She tired to get ahold of that other PD nurse but couldn't get her on the phone either.  She actually seemed interested in me and what was going on. I am not even going to waste my time with this other nurse. Everytime I call... no one at that clinic says she is on vacation or had a family emergency or anything like that. Two voice mails and no return call? What's the deal?

I remember the last time I was on PD. I had an infection and the doc put me in the hospital ASAP. I didn't even have time to call my mom to let her know I was in the hospital. I was just getting settled and my PD nurse called my room to see how I was doing. That is proactive.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »

Oh yay!  Does one clinic lose money they would have made off you if you go to the one closer to you.  I hope so.  So glad you got some action on this and also that this second nurse seems nice and interested too.  Now that's a real bonus.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
drinkboy

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »

Forgive me but I haven't been on the site in a month so I just read this string....sounds like you had tough time with that first nurse (things like that burn my ass).  I am glad you called your doctor and got a new nurse at the other clinic.  One thing I have learned with having had my mom on dialysis for seven years is that you can't be afraid to speak up, so I am happy you did.  And you did nothing wrong at all by calling your doctor..it is your health afterall.

It sounds like your boyfriend is very supportive so you are very lucky.  Don't worry about the catheter either.  After a little getting used to, he'll barely notice it.  Besides, you'll have a halter to keep it in so it really isn't so bad.  My mom was on a cycler and I will tell you that they are not loud so unfortunately it won't drown out your neighbor's motorcycle :)      Just one piece of advice about using the cycler...it is not difficult to use, but take your time when you hook up to it, wash thoroughly, wear your mask, etc  and you will not have any problem.  You're gonna be fine!!
Brightsky69

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »

Thanks for all of the support.

The other PD nurse did finally call me back. She apologized for all the confusion. She says she was "out of town" and that she would make sure the phone screw up would never happen again. Whatever!    :sarcasm;  No one in her office said anything about her being out of town.
She is telling me that she can train me on manual PD as well as train me on the cycler all at the same time. She said she would call me back "in a little bit" and that was about 3 hours ago.

I just want to get on the cycler and get on with my life.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »