I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 06:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Waiting for my PRA result..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waiting for my PRA result..  (Read 4805 times)
Lilu323

« on: October 08, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »

I have been in a bad depression these past couple of weeks. Its been a year to this month since my failed transplant. My first transplant was at 10 and it lasted 18 beautiful years. It failed last year and I underwent plasmapheresis for another transplant and it almost ended with deadly results. Now I got tested again to check my PRA. Im 29 years old and I feel that whatever this result is its going to make or break my life. I hate diialysiis, i feel like a huge burden to my family and my boyfriend ..i cry all the time ..I just want to be that person again that I was 2 years ago with a healhty transplant happy and enjoying life....I cant live the whole rest of my life on dialysis...im sorry i just needed to write this is ...hopefully letting it out will help me
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »

:grouphug;
Sometimes, you need to grieve for what you've lost - a kidney, a way of life, your health.  It's okay to do it here - as a group, we have broad shoulders.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »

Lilu, I hope you will use us here as a place to talk about the feelings you're having, in a lot or a little detail, as rationally (or not) as you want.  Try to get it out of yourself, onto the screen and that might help to free you  up a little bit to be more involved in your real life with those who care about you.  You never need to apologize to us here about about expressing the pain you feel.  We really can take it as jbeany so wisely pointed out.  We know the pain and today I feel yours and am carrying a little of it for you.

Many of us feel like a burden.  I even feel like a burden to myself at times. 

jbeany is absolutely correct about the grief.  This illness robs us of many things over time and you were especially young when it all started for you.  I'd take some of it from you in a minute if I could. 

What I think you also need to do is make a conscious decision from time to time to ACT lighthearted, to smile, to enjoy time with friends, to do things with your boyfriend.  Please notice, I didn't say "feel" etc.  Sometimes the action has to come first in order to make way for the feeling we want.  Often when I feel down I go out, even just to a coffee shop and I consciously "pretend" I'm enjoying myself.  I smile at people, I talk to perfect strangers and I don't think about D.  Or T(ransplant) or R(ejection).  When I come home I often feel better.  Not always, but often.  You don't have to feel better to do this, you have to pretend to feel better, to get a break from yourself.

I also try to give myself permission to stay away from people when I need to cry it out or just wallow in self-pity for a bit but I put a limit on how long I do that for because I often feel worse (like a bad headache for example) after those particular "mood experiments".

Hugs to you and write here any time at all.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »

Thank you monrein for suggesting the mood experiments...great idea..I will work on this as yes I also feel like a "huge burden" on everyone...no family should have to go through this and mine has great difficulty understanding what I am talking about when I say this.  My sons feel...you raissed us, now we take care of you and that is so very wrong as far as I'm concerned. whew...ok I'm breathing again......actually my Gdtr and I started a "code word" between us when someone or something frustrates us as different people at Davita have over the last two weeks...after a call she will look at me and say "ok, on the count of 3...1, 2, 3...KTB...very loud and it's over for the moment....and no one has a clue what we are saying.....Ki.. the Bi....  :cheer:

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »

Lilu :cuddle; :grouphug;

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »

So sorry Lilu - I hope things are looking better and you feel more hopeful in the future.
Hang in there  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lilu323

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »

Sorry I have not been around. The doctor put me on some medication for my depression and panic attacks. I am still very sad. I am trying to stay busy and being with my family a lot. I have read the responses from my first post here and I just want to take a minute to thank all of you who posted for me. Your words and advice really helped me. I didnt feel so alone in what I am feeling. I just hate how bad things happen to good people and bad people get away with murder. My whole life is in front of me and  I just cant beleive its stuck to a machine. I finally got my PRA results and it was 48%. I dont even know if thats good or not. Some people tell me its bad others tell me that from having already 2 transplants and about 60 blood transfusions (not exaggerating was near deaths door after last transplant) that my pra is surprisingly very low. Anyone have an answer or statiscal information so I can know what a PRA of 48% is for me? Again thank you guys so much for your responses.  :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »

Hi Lili,
I am glad to see you back. I hope you keep sharing here, it really does help, in my opinion.
Here's information about PRA's and how one transplant program handles desensitization.
http://www.uwhealth.org/transplant/kidneydesensitizationprogramfrequentlyaskedquestions/10618
Hang in there!
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »

Marvin's antibodies level is 98% (isn't this basically the same thing as PRA?).  The way it was explained to us, that means that he would likely reject 98 % of the donor kidneys.  That's not good.  But, the neph said, that also means his name would come "up" more often when a donor kidney is available.

So, I said, "His name comes up more often, but he's much less likely to be a suitable match for them, right?"

"Yes," the neph said, "at least 98% of them."

I think, for Marvin, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.  He probably has a better chance of winning the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes.  ..... But, there is that 2% --  so, we keep waiting, and hoping, and praying.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »

You are right, Petey, you have to have hope.  Mine is 100%--no transfusions, no transplant--just pregnancies.  Transplant center told me it could be 30 years or when hell freezes over.   I still have hope.

And PRA is the antibody level--right again!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:01 PM »

:grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

Lilu - if it's not too much to ask, could you explain what happened with your second transplant/plasmhaphersis and why it was a near death experience?  Was it from a cadaver?  If you'd rather not talk about it I completely understand.   :grouphug;

I'm 28 as well and I've been waiting for a 2nd transplant since 2001 - but antibodies, like Marvin's and it seems a lot of people here, are way high.  I think last time they told me it was 97% and doesn't seem to be getting any lower.  :(

I'm glad you got help for your depression though.  I've been considering doing the same, though I'm not sure if I'm really depressed or just grieving from the loss of 2 loved ones in one month. 

Oh!  Also - maybe you should see about doing NxStage?  It gives you a bit more freedom since you can do dialysis at your leisure and in the comfort of your own home.  (That is, unless you're already doing PD.. ) 

Hang in there and think positive! 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:18:27 PM by alrightstill » Logged

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
502Blues

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

My city is so slow, We havent even started to do plasmapheresis here yet but soon. The antibodies in my blood is whats keeping me from getting a transplant sooner. Ive been waiting for 10 yrs now minus a few periods of deactivation. They are planning on giving me the plasmapheresis treatment once they start doing it here. you said you almost had deadly results,what do you mean by that, is it dangerous?

1991: kidney failure, undetermined cause
1991: right and left clavicle temporary catheters
1991: catheter for PD
1992:transplant
1998: June, Fistula placement
1998: july, back to dialysis,Hemo
1999: transplanted kidney removed
2001: parathyroidism
2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: april, Pd catheter placement
 PD would not drain properly
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
lruffner

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 05:16:33 AM »

My city is so slow, We havent even started to do plasmapheresis here yet but soon. The antibodies in my blood is whats keeping me from getting a transplant sooner. Ive been waiting for 10 yrs now minus a few periods of deactivation. They are planning on giving me the plasmapheresis treatment once they start doing it here. you said you almost had deadly results,what do you mean by that, is it dangerous?

502Blues-

I also live in Georgetown, KY and am shocked to hear about the plasmapheresis not being available for you in Lousiville. Are you going to Jewish? I considered being put on the transplant list there, as well as at IU, but they have scared me a bit, so I am going solely to IU for now. I may contact Cincy.

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
502Blues

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:33 AM »

Yes,im going to Jewish. there are just now starting to do this at Jewish. At first my Dr. was planning to send me outta town to have it done if they didnt start doing it here soon.

2006:march, fstula cant be fixed due to too many stents in damaged vessels caused by temp caths
2006: finally after much pain and misery, AV Graft placed in abdomen, its working fine thank god
Quit dialysis sometime in 2009, had a change of heart and  returned before I died
transferred waiting list time to another city/state and was transplanted almost right away August 9,2013
lruffner

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »

Jewish would be so much easier for me, without a doubt, but the nurse coordinator wanted me to get a heart cath. right now, before I have even been seen by a doctor. That really freaked me out, considering the risk of immediate kidney failure associated witht the dye. I still have 26% function and I am not ready to give that up just yet.

I am going to IU because my mom had her liver transplant there and I cannot say enough about them...they have been completely amazing for the past 4 years. My neph up there is also a doc at Mayo and has a ton of experience with my particular disease, which is somewhat comforting..except that FSGS has a bad rap. You know, they are known for having the shortest wait list in this entire region...have you thought about going there? What is your blood type? From what they have told me, the longest an "AB" or "B" type has had to wait is 3 years. Just a thought  :)

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
502Blues

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

Yeah,ive heard that. Im A+ , I will have to look into that. I had about 5% kidney function when I started dialysis.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »