I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Flu Shot & Prednisone
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flu Shot & Prednisone  (Read 19772 times)
Laurie

May 13, 2008

« on: October 07, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »

Has anyone been told if you take prednisone the flu shot will not work.
I went to a CareNow clinic close to my work and they told me there was no point because it wouldn't work anyway.  ???
I plan on asking my transplant coordinator, but was just curious if anyone else had been told this.

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »

Laurie, someone is trying to pull something on you. Patients who take prednisone (or any other corticosteroids) and receive a flu shot develop the same antibody response as patients not taking prednisone. So, these drugs do not preclude receiving a flu shot.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

I've been on prednisone for roughly 25 years and been having flu shots every year for almost that long.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

My husband's clinic told him to be sure to get a flu shot every year.  He had his transplant the day after yours!  :) I think they may have also have told him to get a pneumonia shot, but we can't remember for sure.  We have to check on that.  Thanks for the reminder!

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

The pneumonia shot is recommended here too and it's good for 5-6 years although when I had my first one years ago I was told it was good for life.  They revised that a few years later.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »

I have never heard that before.  Check with your transplant center.   We all want to hear the answer. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »

People taking immunosuppressive drugs should get the flu shot, not the nasal-spray flu vaccine (also called LAIV, which stands for Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine). LAIV, which contains live, weakened flu viruses, is not recommended for anyone who has a chronic disease. LAIV should also not be taken by anyone taking medications that can weaken the immune system.
The inactivated flu shot contains dead viruses, and will not give the recipient the flu.

Who should get a flu shot?

The following groups are at higher risk for having medical complications from influenza and should receive the flu shot:

* People 50 years of age and older

* Residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities housing anyone of any age with chronic medical conditions

* People with chronic disorders of the lungs or heart, such as asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or cystic fibrosis

* People who are less able to fight infections because of a disease they are born with; infection with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV); treatment with drugs such as long-term steroids; and/or treatment for cancer with x-rays or drugs

* People who have required regular medical follow-up or hospitalization during the preceding year because of chronic metabolic diseases (including diabetes mellitus), kidney diseases and blood cell diseases such as sickle cell anemia

* Children and teenagers 6 months to 18 years of age on long-term aspirin treatment, who, if they catch influenza, could develop Reye's syndrome which causes coma, liver damage, and death

* Women who will be 6 or more months pregnant or who will have just delivered during the influenza season

In addition, to help protect high-risk people from exposure to influenza, these two groups should receive influenza vaccinations as well:

* Health care workers (doctors, nurses, hospital and medical office staff, personnel of nursing homes or chronic care facilities) in contact with people in high-risk groups

* People--including children--who live with persons in high-risk groups for flu (household contacts)

Some of these same groups should receive one-time vaccination for pneumococcal pneumonia.

The groups at higher risk for invasive pneumococcal disease include those over 64 years old and others with increased susceptibility to this infection, such as patients with HIV, splenectomy, sickle cell disease, diabetes mellitus, chronic disorders of the lungs or heart, and cirrhosis. You can receive this vaccination on the same day that you get the flu shot, and for those covered under Medicare Part B, it is also free when ordered by a physician. However, the pneumococcal vaccine can be given at any time of year and is a once-in-a-lifetime vaccination for most people.

If you don't have a spleen, or if you have chronic renal failure, HIV, cancer, or other diseases that compromise your immune system, ask your health care provider if a second pneumococcal vaccination is necessary.

Where

Where can I get my free flu shot?

Your flu shot is free, if you are enrolled in Medicare Part B and your health care provider accepts Medicare assignment. The Medicare program covers the flu shot and the cost of administration for beneficiaries. Medicare recipients do not have to pay coinsurance or a deductible under the flu shot benefit. For Managed Care Plan members, most must get their flu shot from their Managed Care Plan. Check with your Managed Care Plan first. For those covered under Medicaid, check first with your local social services or health department. Many private health insurance plans also cover flu vaccine.

You can get a flu shot at your doctor's office. You may also be able to get a flu shot from your local health department or from other health-care providers. Medicare Part B will pay for the shot no matter where you get it, as long as the health care provider agrees not to charge you more than Medicare pays. To find local health care providers who accept Medicare as payment in full for the flu shot, you can also contact your Medicare Carrier. For the phone number of the Medicare Carrier in your area, see the Helpful Contacts section of this website http://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/Include/DataSection/Questions/SearchCriteria.asp?version=default&browser=Firefox|3|MacOSX&language=English&defaultstatus=0&pagelist=Home . Ask the person giving the shot if there will be any cost to you.

(Note: Managed Care Plan members may be required to get shots from their Managed Care Plan. Ask your Managed Care Plan for more information.)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

had my post 6month check-up today  and I'm on prednisone and they  gave me the flu shot today..The Dr said all tx patients get the shot! Hope this helps...Chris
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:11:03 PM by chris73 » Logged

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »