I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 01:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!  (Read 413627 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #325 on: April 27, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »

I was never afraid of any breed until a Boxer jumped its 5 ft fence to attack my Border Collie.  Then a year later, another Boxer attacked us at a dog park.  .... I am pretty cautious of Boxers, Pitts and other aggressive breeds now.  ..... I'm a firm believer that no one should own a dog that they cannot themselves physically overpower and control.

I can understand your fear. When I was 4 a German Shepherd tried to bite my face - he sort of got me, too, but I pulled back in time so that I only got scratched down the chin by his teeth. When I was 13 I was bitten by an Australian cattle dog (blue heeler). Before I got right into dogs like I am now, I was a bit scared of these breeds. But I saw very quickly that it was not a breed issue. It's individuals within those breeds, and individuals within any breed can be like this. There might seem like higher number of individuals within certain breeds, and indeed that can happen with the popularity of certain breeds - remember when everyone was scared of dobermans? Before the term "pit bull" was ever being bandied about by the media? You only need to think back to the 1970's to remember this.

I don't have any breed prejudices now, but if you asked me what breed bit me most when I was a dog groomer then you might be surprised that Border Collies were number 2 on my list (top of the list, due to their sheer numbers probably, not to mention poor breeding, were maltese X shih tzus - those little brats always wanted to eat me). I don't, however, take this as representative of what the border collie breed is like as a whole.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »

Thank you both for your information.  I don't feel as afraid anymore.  As a small dog owner I hate big dogs who come bounding over to play or attack.  It doesn't matter to a little dog it is an attack.  I have been carring Pepper Spray just so I have some defense if things get nasty.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, I also hate it when dogs bound after me and/or my dogs. Especially when my dogs are elderly - I had a dog that made it almost to 18 and I was furious whenever dogs came running at him. I would have kicked the crap out of them if I had to, in order to protect Diesel. I once told off some teenagers who kicked a football out onto the path whilst we were walking past! I'm pretty protective of my dogs, but I was especially protective of Diesel in his old age. Even Chloe, who I still have, is now 13 years old.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #328 on: April 28, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

Questions approaching. :)

I want a dog... however, I was a small dog, one that stay small, they don't grow big... one that preferabbly don't shed alot or if at all, and one thtis good with children since I have a 5 and 6 yr old.

Advice? Never had a dog before... :) Thanks!!!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #329 on: April 28, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

My first advice is, make sure it is allright with your mom and dad first of all.  Especially if it is going to be an inside dog.  There will be accidents and unless you get a poodle that dont shed, not too sure what kind that wouldn't shed.  Your going to be looking for a job, who will care for the dog if and when you get a job?  do you have a fenced yard?    It is so easy to just "get a dog"  but to be physically and mentally ready for one is the real question.  Please make sure you are ready for one before you get one and then realize you werent ready.  Having a dog is so great for anyone, especially kids, helps them become more responsible for one and they have a better outlook on pets as they grow older, a better appreciation for them.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.  ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »

I love my dog, but it is like having a kid. You have to find a place for it to stay if you go anywhere and it has to have company daily. And they can be expensive.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2007, 07:03:21 PM »

My first advice is, make sure it is allright with your mom and dad first of all.  Especially if it is going to be an inside dog.  There will be accidents and unless you get a poodle that dont shed, not too sure what kind that wouldn't shed.  Your going to be looking for a job, who will care for the dog if and when you get a job?  do you have a fenced yard?    It is so easy to just "get a dog"  but to be physically and mentally ready for one is the real question.  Please make sure you are ready for one before you get one and then realize you werent ready.  Having a dog is so great for anyone, especially kids, helps them become more responsible for one and they have a better outlook on pets as they grow older, a better appreciation for them.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.  ;)

Hey Susie, thanks for responding! :)

Yes it ok with them, if it's going to be a small doggy. My parents and my brother will help out they said. My brother is here all day cuz he works nights, so that will help in the begining No fenced yard, but I plan to get an invisible dog fence. I'm ready for one.. my brother had one while he lived with us for 8 months, but it was a big dog... it was part pitbull/bulldog, suh a cutie, but I need a small one. I would be willing to get a puppy that does shed, but I would really like it if I found one that didn't or shed little instead of tons.

:)

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »

Hey Susie, thanks for responding! :)

Yes it ok with them, if it's going to be a small doggy. My parents and my brother will help out they said. My brother is here all day cuz he works nights, so that will help in the begining No fenced yard, but I plan to get an invisible dog fence. I'm ready for one.. my brother had one while he lived with us for 8 months, but it was a big dog... it was part pitbull/bulldog, suh a cutie, but I need a small one. I would be willing to get a puppy that does shed, but I would really like it if I found one that didn't or shed little instead of tons.

:)

I definetly wouldnt recommend a chihuahua or a wienie dog unless they are older already,  with your kids being so little they want to handle it and carry it and if they drop it, it could really hurt the pup (i've seen it happen)  Jack Russells are highly intelligent BUT they are so full of energy,  they can climb a 6' wall with no problem.   There are so many to choose from but for now, i think it might be best to either go to the pound and rescue one or check the paper for free puppies, the only problem with getting one out of the paper, your going to need to make sure you take it to the vet to spay or neuter it, get it its shot and flea dip and so forth, usually if you get it from the pound, the fee includes all of that.   Make sure you take the kids and get them involved and you let the kids interact with the pup before you take it.   I am so excited for you and the kids, i hope you get one soon,  my cousin has been talking about getting a teacup poodle for the longest time and just today he decided to go to the Pet Adoption place and got himself a mutt, sometimes, those are the best kinds to get... Good luck again girlfriend...  :clap;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #333 on: April 28, 2007, 07:20:40 PM »

Angela, have you gotton your drivers license yet?  It might be a good idea to take care of that prior to taking on new responsibilities that dog owners are responsible for.  I know you don't want to hear that but it is a valid point.  I have been a dog owner so the experience is first hand.  It's not just simply getting a pet, there is a lot more that goes into it.  Anyway, just something to think about.
brenda

« Reply #334 on: April 28, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »

I have a miniature Schnauzer, Nelly. She is great with the kids, her and my 11 month old granddaughter play very well together. She is very gentle with Lauralie. And the best part she doesn't shed at all, that's why I picked that breed.  She was very easy to train to go outside, I never used the "paper" thing. She was only 5 weeks old when I got her, too young to be away from mommy but she did well. She was only 1.2lbs at the time and now fully grown she is about 15lbs. She's a little spoiled and has never been left alone, she goes to work everyday and if I just can't take her with she goes to the puppy sitter or grandma's house. Crazy, I know. Anyway just a suggestion for you Angela.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #335 on: April 28, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »

My son has just moved in with his girlfriend and her 3 kids, he  decided they wanted a dog they got a cute bully cross pup a week later the 14 year old son wanted one so he got the brother of there pup, 7 weeks later the first pup is living with my mum , they are alot of work and responsibility but on the positive side my mum and the pup have never been happier ! Dogs are a great thing to have in your life but they are just like having an extra kid. I wouldn't be without mine. Good luck with your decision..

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #336 on: April 28, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »

Breeds that don't shed much - poodles, schnauzers etc - are excellent choices BUT one other thing to be aware of - the grooming requirement. Every 6 weeks or so, such breeds will need to have their coats clipped. You can learn to do this yourself, but a decent set of clippers plus blades will set you back a good $250 (Australian dollars). There are plenty of cheap options on the market that are simply not worth it.

If using a groomer, you are looking at $40 - $70 per groom every six weeks. You will also need to train the pup from a young age to be calm and quiet whilst be handled/groomed. Some people think this isn't important - they just pay a dog groomer and let them worry about it! But groomers are busy people, and if they have a dog that is too much trouble, or bites too much, they are entitled - and often will - to refuse to groom that dog again.

Just another important point to keep in mind!

My suggestion for small-ish breeds (though they are both still quite solid) that are particularly excellent with children are usually:
1) Staffordshire bull terrier (not to be confused with the American staffordshire terrier, which is larger)
2) beagle.
However, whilst having very short, very easy to care for coats, they still shed.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #337 on: April 28, 2007, 08:24:36 PM »

'scuse the double post - but I wanted to post these breed selectors which may help angela with her decision.

Also, I wanted to add a point about a personal dislike for invisible fences. It's personal choice, of course, but sometimes the draw of something on the other side (e.g. a squirrel the dog wants to chase) is so great that the dog will ignore the signal and run right through it. Trouble is, once that drawing point has gone, the dog cannot return into the yard, because they don't want to hear/feel the signal. I've heard of this happening. So you might like to consider getting fences or at least building a dog pen for assistance with keeping the dog contained.

Anyway, some breed selector assistants:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBS

brenda

« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »

Cycobully is right about the grooming. Nelly doesn't get clipped in the winter but she needs it in the summer a few times at $50 a each time. Then there's all the shots, and the Parvo vaccine. Never mind dog food every month. If they get sick the Vet is very expensive. All the collars and leads as they grow. Pooper scoop bags, treats, toys, puppy sitters, cute little coats, it goes on and on. It's like having another kid in my house.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #339 on: April 29, 2007, 04:01:21 AM »

I heard on the news that a person spends on average $16,000 on the life of a dog.  That could very well be true considering a dog may live to be 15 or 16.

Here is an article:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1671&articleid=1543
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:06:35 AM by Rerun » Logged

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2007, 04:15:18 AM »

Being a beagle owner, I'm not sure how well they would be contained with one of those fences. These dog's are ruled by there noses and there sense of smell can take

over, have been known to be wanderers . Just my  :twocents;

But they are a great dog and great friend, cuddler and best of all "sleeper" as I'm typing this Woofa is all cuddled up next to me on the couch, sleeping!

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #341 on: April 29, 2007, 08:34:56 AM »

'scuse the double post - but I wanted to post these breed selectors which may help angela with her decision.

Also, I wanted to add a point about a personal dislike for invisible fences. It's personal choice, of course, but sometimes the draw of something on the other side (e.g. a squirrel the dog wants to chase) is so great that the dog will ignore the signal and run right through it. Trouble is, once that drawing point has gone, the dog cannot return into the yard, because they don't want to hear/feel the signal. I've heard of this happening. So you might like to consider getting fences or at least building a dog pen for assistance with keeping the dog contained.

Anyway, some breed selector assistants:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IAMS_Page.jsp?pageID=DBS

Thanks for the links!

I have a 2 acre yard, and it's not my house, so building a fence is not an optio. besides  I want an inside dog... the only reason my dog would go outside is to go for walks on a leashe, and potty.

Im going to check these sites out! :)

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #342 on: April 29, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

Fair enough, re the fences. Then forget my suggestion about beagles, because what Tamara said is correct (I was going to point out to never let a beagle off leash, 'cause he'll be off after his nose and you'll lose him!).
George Jung

« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2007, 09:31:41 PM »

If you are going to get the dog you might be interested in looking into an insurance plan for him/her.  They can be a good value.
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #344 on: April 30, 2007, 01:15:23 AM »

It's certainly worth considering, 'cause an accident such as being hit by a car, or swallowing something they shouldn't, can cost a small fortune at the vet. And I mean thousands!

Here in Australia, most insurance policies don't cover the routine things though (e.g. check ups and vaccinations) so look into any policy well before choosing one.
carson

« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2007, 05:13:07 AM »

my girlfriend just had a plate and 6 screws put in her German Shepherd's leg because they played too much this winter (he's only 2). I can't imagine how much that cost but her husband said, "na, we don't need insurance"
I don't have insurance on my dog. I just pray something doesn't happen to him. My mom spent a fortune on her last dog after it got hit by a car (crushed pelvis, extensive internal injuries) and then years later ate a peach pit that lodged in her stomach and slowly began to poison her as the pit leaked cyanide. Poor thing. Still, she lived to be 21 yrs.

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2007, 05:42:05 AM »

I don't have insurance either. The worst bill I had was $750, and that was extremely difficult by itself. That was a 4-day stay in hospital for Diesel, when he got pancreatitis. He was a good 15 or 16 years old at the time, and he'd had pancreatitis before so he must have got good care. One bout of that is usually enough to kill a dog half that age.

But if you are thinking about insurance you'll find with most companies that you have to take it out before the dog reaches a certain age.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2007, 06:13:56 AM »

I have a 10 year old pomerian,not of the small size but at about 17 lbs. The smaller ones tend to be yappy but mine is quite and very very friendly. He gets washed and clipped every 6 weeks at 38.00 a pop. He is a happy dog while also a handful. He is so much like family

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2007, 09:19:07 AM »

Thank you everyone for your input! I have decided to wait a little longer, maybe 6 month's (or longer if needed but hopefully 6 months!!) and see how everything is financially and such. In the meantime, I'll be looking into making my decision on the *type* of puppy I would like. How exciting! :)

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2007, 10:43:10 PM »

It is very exciting! Also, if you haven't already, please go over to the Transplant Stories forum and check out the thread on post-transplant pet care, because there are some important issues raised there.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »