I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 02:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  This is how we use 4 buttonholes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is how we use 4 buttonholes  (Read 1794 times)
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« on: September 27, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »

I have been sticking Maggie for over 2 years we have an AV fistula and stared using the buttonhole technique from the start.  This is Maggie’s first fistula we see the surgeon every 6 months.

Staring a new buttonhole

This is how I do it:

The needle must be put in the same spot in the vein each time for the first 3-4 weeks so that a tunnel will form from the skin to the vein.   

First use sharps of the size you want the final hole to be for 5-6 consecutive days. 
The consecutive days are very important!!!!

Dulls, for the next 6 days, it's best if you don’t take a day off (but we do some times) for the first 12-14 days. Once the buttonhole is established you will always get the needle in and if done correctly you will not need to use a sharp until you need a new buttonhole.

Now the buttonhole can be used every other day but do not skip more than 3 days until it’s been 4 weeks.

We use 2 sets of buttonholes 2 venous and 2 arterials that way each set gets a day off .  We have been able to use each set for about 6-8 months before we needed to move due to the fistulas size getting bigger in that area.
For example: Tops one day

V<
V
A<
A
Bottoms the next day

V
V<
A
A<

When we start the second set we establish one at a time, that way I use the new one every day and the established ones every other day.  I prefer to place the needle so it can be used as an arterial or venous this is helpful when staring a new buttonhole.

We do not use sharps after the first 4 weeks on a buttonhole (sometimes I use 3 or 4 buttonhole needles trying to get it in).  If it will not go in and I have tried several times I start a new one in (hopefully) a better spot.

Remember to check with your vascular surgeon to find out if the buttonhole technique is right for you.

I hope this helps someone

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »

That's really helpful to me Jeff and I'm going to print it out to take to my centre.  We're going to start establishing buttonholes soon.  I go 5 days a week but not the weekend so those 2 days off should be OK I think.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

Happy to help  :)

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »

Hubby just has 2 buttonholes.  We use them all the time.  He does 3 nights on , a night off then 2 days on a night off. if something happens to one of the button holes we just establish a new one. His venus buttonhole we have been using for about a year and a half and the arterial for about a year. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:42:59 PM »

Great info Jeff.  My vein rolls, slips and slides so much that I've pretty much given up on a buttonhole but the surgeon that did my fistulagram took a picture of the vein showing my sticks and said I have a very good ladder going so that's what I'll keep doing.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
BRANDY

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 07:38:13 AM »

I also printed this buttonhole tech. I am doing research for when I have to get on dialysis ,thanks

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print