I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 03:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  This sounds like good news to me...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This sounds like good news to me...  (Read 2273 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: September 23, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »

I went in for my bi-weekly EPO shot this morning and while I was there I got a copy of my latest lab work done on Sept 19th.    In late June my Creatinine Serum was 8.82.  On July 22nd it was 8.35 (that was when he said it might be time for me to start) and on July 31st it came down to 7.72.  Because it came down ever so slightly Doc said we could hold off.  Creatinine Serum in Aug was 6.72 (even better).  My most recent lab done Sept 19th shows my Creatinine Serum at 6.43!

My GFR was as low as 5 in June, went up to 7 in August,  and remains at 7 today.

I have decided that I'm going to beat this!  I'm slowly going to get my kidney function back and I'm going to stay off dialysis.  Who's with me?  We must believe to achieve!!!!!

(can you tell I just watched The Secret?

I also believe I'm going to bring home more money than I take to VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!     :clap;    :2thumbsup;                             :rofl;  ok, I almost typed that with a straight face...

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:46:07 PM »

I wish you the best of luck, both with your creatinine and in Vegas!  In the words of Galaxy Quest, "never give up, never surrender!"  :boxing;
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »

I wish you luck. Maybe think about anything in your diet or meds that might have brought about the improvment, then keep it up and you might succeed in eking out more time with your kidneys.On the other hand, don't feel bad should your kidneys give out on you. All you can do is your best efforts to stay healthy. My lab results fluctuate too, and I'm not willing to give up yet either.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »

Kelly, I am with you!     :2thumbsup;   Good news about the labs.  Now we just need to get you that kidney and skip the dialysis part.     I also like the taking home money from Vegas part!  Hey, we can dream, can't we  :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
devon

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »

In the "for what it's worth" department,  I went through a similar experience this last summer.  I thought I could put it off indefinitely too.  My doctor went along for most of the time but then he pointed out that it's not just the creatinine levels.  The BUN of 100+ is also a significant indicator.  Since it had been over 100 for nearly six months, he encouraged me to start dialysis before it became an emergency issue.  I did and generally, I'm glad I did. 

The issue is that your kidneys are not performing the cleaning as they should.  Your blood is filled with toxins that continue to accumulate and do subtle damage over time.  The more the toxins remain, the more damage that's done to other organs.  For example, the pericardium surrounding the heart can get filled with toxins and give you heart problems and damage the heart muscles. 

So, long story short, you may not be doing good for yourself by postponing the inevitable.

On the other hand, I totally understand your motivations and intentions!  I just don't want you to do any more damage to yourself that will complicate things in the future!

-Devon
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »

Kelly, I assume your neph (like mine) goes over all the lab numbers with you.  BUN, Pth,phosphorus, etc,ect.  You seem to have a good relationship with your doctor and are working as a team.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »

I'm with you Kelly!  Good Luck putting off dialysis!!!   :flower;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »