I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:20:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Recommended Dialysis Shifts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommended Dialysis Shifts  (Read 3548 times)
draven

« on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »

As some of you guys might know my unit is pretty bad when it come to running on time. well good news is we have a new manager/head nurse he is very cool and understanding and best of all you don't feel a thing when he puts the needles in.

He has now told the patients that he is working on a new time table that would sort out all the problems they have been having.
i want to post our units time table and hear from you guys if its flawed or not.

unit opens at 6:00     1st shift 6:00 - 10:00 they then disinfect the machines which they say takes 30 minutes??
                               2nd shift (my shift) 10:30 - 2:30

now on that second shift they have allocated a slot or time. so there is no first come first served!!!!
and they want to put me on the later end of the shift (11:30)

OK this is issue, i am currently doing computer maintenance and repairs in the afternoons and need the money as i don't work fulltime.
So i cant afford to leave late in the afternoon. and not to offend anyone but i am the youngest person on that shift (27) everyone else on that shift is over 60 and retired except for one gentleman who's is a taxi driver. surely they can understand that the earlier the time the better for me.

How does your unit timetable work. any suggestions from you guys.

lastly the earlier shift is full and i would have to wait months to get on it. and also some of the elderly patients on my shift not very mature ??? and getting on dialysis is like some twisted reality game show... the first one on wins and gets to gloat when they leave the unit.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »

Draven, can you lay this all out for your new manager/head nurse and emphasize for him the necessity for you to earn a living?  It is most unreasonable that you aren't being given priority that would enable you to continue being as productive as possible.  You could suggest that if no one is willing to volunteer for a switch then perhaps the afternoon shift could be rotated around between them so that each person would have a week of it on a rotating basis.

I don't know what else to suggest but I would definitely be willing to accept a less preferable time slot for me personally if it would help you out to such a degree and I dare to hope that at least one of those other patients at your unit will see it this way also.

Let us know how they work this out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:27:33 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »

At my clinic, we had assigned times, and you were given your time and days based on what was available when you began dialysis.  If you wished to change to a different set of days - MWF instead of TTRS, then you made the request and had to wait until a slot opened up.

If your unit is just starting assigned time slots, though - they should be able to accommodate you on getting you an earlier time slot.  I'd be making a fuss if it was me!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »

advise  the  new  manager  of  your  circumstances  and see  what  he  can  arrange  for  you,likewise  all you  can  really  do  is  put  your  name  down  for  a   spot  and  wait.

my  time  when  i  started  was  6pm-11.30pm,  after  a bit  of  push  and  shove(about  2  months  worth),  i  was  given  a  spot from  1.30pm-6pm,  which  works  out  heaps  better  cause  the  morning is  free  to  do  whatever  and  after  d,  i  usually  have  tea  then  crash  on  the  lounge  watching  tv

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

Mine is almost like "first come, first serve". When your chair is ready, they take you in. My scheduled time is noon but now I go in about 11:00 and usually never wait over a few minutes. The nurses get to go home when their last patient is finished so things flow pretty smoothly.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »

Oh Draven, Be patient with us old people.  We have such little joy in life that bragging, bitching about time is above all there is to do... Seriously, I started a month ago at 4: 8:.  Now they have me as a floarter because I'd asked for something earlier.  I go around  10:30 or so.  If it is anything like here, which I'm sure it isn't, you should ask to be put on the waiting list for your desiered time.  Good Luck.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »

I would talk to the social worker and have her intercede on your behalf.  I had to have my shift changed from first shift to 2nd shift because my husband changed jobs and he could no longer take my daughter to school.  I was put on the second shift the next week.  It's not like you are just changing shifts for fun.  Your job is important. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

I started going in at 4:00 pm. For some reason, (I was too timid to ask) it would be 4:30, 4:45 before I got on, some days 5 pm. I finally got over being timid; and there was a change in management. The new Head nurse was Good lookin' and NICE, and I told her so. She said thanks for the compliment, and I told her that it wasn't a compliment that I was just stating fact and that everybody noticed even if they were too timid to say so. She asked me if I wanted to come in at 6:45 am; And I said that I was a morning person and that I could be there at 6am and it's been that way ever since . I'm a 5 hr turnover and I usually get off dialysis at 11:10-11:15 am every time. The first shift is the best! NO WAITING! EARLY TAKE OFF! It may be one of the reasons that I don't Hate dialysis.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »

I have 10:30 tomorrow.  Hope I get in by then after I made a jackass of myself last time.  I want a regular time....

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »

DW, bring a sign with you that says "I am tired of floating. A regular time or else!  :sir ken;"   I do not know if you can draw Ken's butt, but give it a try!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:27 AM »

I'm  hope if I bear with this until they get "re organized" that he'll give me a good time.  I  always want a specific bay with my friend Nurse Tan and she won't be back until Jun 19, so I'll wait till then to throw another fit.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »