I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 11:20:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello to all
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 2347 times)
drinkboy

« on: September 19, 2008, 10:26:43 AM »

I just wanted to  say hello to everyone.  I first discovered this site a few months back when I was researching information about dialysis and complications, etc.  In reading many posts, you all gave me hope and it was comforting to know there are others who can relate to the things  my family and I are going through.  I want to thank you all for sharing so much insight and personal stories because it has helped me.

My mother has been on dialysis for seven years next month. Since she has been on dialysis, she has developed many of the ailments familiar to you all...neuropathy, diabetes (partial amputation of the feet due to this), the severe itching, and she is wheelchair bound now. She was in the hospital for a few weeks in May (due to a gall bladder attack), where at one point the doctors gave her up for dead and said she wouldn't make it past the next day.  During that visit, was when I found this site. 

Now she has been back in the hospital for exactly two weeks today, after getting her gall bladder out.  Three days ago, they discovered she has Peritonitis. In seven years of CCPD home dialysis, she never had it, and they can't seem to get rid of it. They had to put a tube through the nose to drain fluid/sludge that is backing up since she hasn't gone to the bathroom since the operation and everything they try hasn't  worked yet. Hopefully there will be some progress in the nest couple days.

Over the last seven years, I have developed a new appreciation for everyone that has to live with a loved one who is very sick. Thanks again to all who have shared stories.  This site has been a great wealth of knowledge and comfort
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »

Welcome drinkboy, good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
devon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »

Gee! I am so very sorry she's had to go through so much pain and suffering!  I hope she is able to get beyond these immediate problems and back to the trials of dialysis!  It's like... does she need another thing going wrong?!

And thank you for supporting her.  I imagine that's the motivation for her to keep on keeping on!

Welcome and I hope to hear more from you in the future.

-Devon
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:38:34 AM »

:welcomesign; drinkboy. Welcome to our group. It is wonderful that you are involved in your Mom's health, keep it up. After surgery's of any kind, sometimes the bowels are slow to wake up especially if she is taking any kind of pain medication. I'll pray that things get better and please keep us posted.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Brightsky69

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »

:welcomesign;

It's nice to hear from supportive sons.....and family period.   :waving;  Not everyone has that.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:10 PM »

:welcomesign;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

Welcome.  Glad you found the site and that we have been helpful.  Keep us posted about your mom.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

Hi, Drinkboy.  We are so glad you have joined us.  You Mom is lucky to have a caring son who wants to learn more of what his Mom is going through.  I am sorry she is having such a difficult time right now.  This site has so much information, but we are also great at supporting each other.  We are here for you, too.  It is hard seeing a parent live with a disease like kidney failure.  We never want to see our parents in pain.  Let us know how she is doing.  We'll keep her in our prayers.   :cuddle;

Paris,moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »

:welcomesign; to IHD.  I'm glad you decided to join us here and I'm also glad that your Mom has such a caring son in her corner.  You are absolutely right that it is hard living with or watching someone we love having to deal with chronic illness.  I hope your Mom does see some progress and get some relief in the next few days.  Please pass along our messages of support and concern to her.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

:welcomesign; drink  boy

hope  your  mums  on  the  improve  real  soon. :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 05:31:43 PM »

Welcome to IHD Drinkboy,

I sure hope your Mom gets better soon, from what I hear peritonitis is no picnic. I'm so glad that IHD has helped you understand more of what your Mom is going through. Please learn all you can and when mom is up to it have her join as well, we really do care about each other here and she won't ever feel alone or like a stranger.

Sluff/Admin
Wayne

Martin (the snorer) & Mack (cat w/renal failure)

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

:welcomesign; aboard!  Your mother is lucky to have a supportive son and family behind her....I wish you guys the best!

Happily Married for 11 Wonderful Years!!! :-)
3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 11:25:53 PM »

Welcome to our community!  Glad that you found us.  Just sorry you didn't let us know you before.  We are here for the long haul for anyone facing renal or other challenges.  Your mom certainly has been given a load.  However, I am always amazed at the strength of the human spirit in some difficult circumstances.  You already know what this site has to offer.  I don't have to sell you on it.  I just need to say "welcome to the IHD family' :grouphug;  Please keep us posted on how your mom is doing.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
drinkboy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words.  It means a lot.   
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 03:56:31 PM »

:waving;    I hope your Mother is feeling well enough to go home SOON.  You have found a wonderful site.  Visit often and give your Mother a great big supportive  :grouphug;  from all of us!     :welcomesign;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »