I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  blood pressure pills...out'a sight, out'a mind, out'a me...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: blood pressure pills...out'a sight, out'a mind, out'a me...  (Read 2140 times)
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« on: September 18, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »

Did that subject line make any sense? Hmm, oh well.  Yea, no more blood pressure pills for me. When I was in Kansas I was taking 6 bp pills aday. 4 different prescriptions. I was taking norvasc 1 tab-10mg, atenolol 1 tab-25 mg, enalapril 1 tab-10 mg and clonidine 1 tab-0.1 mg 3 x's daily. Then I moved to Nebraska June 29 and after about 2 weeks of living here I stopped taking my pills becuz I was bottoming out at dialysis. I told my nurses I stopped taking them back in July. I stopped taking them on my own. Many people told me not to do that, but nobody was trying to remedy the problem. I was tired of almost passing out on dialysis, so I quit taking them on my own. On monday one of the nurses asked me if I was still taking them because my bp still gets low. Of cousre I'm not...My doctor still hasn't said anything about it. I really don't like this guy. If I want to change doctors I would have to change dialysis units also. I don't want to change units. It's the closest one to me and I just can't afford to drive all over Omaha. Which sucks, because health should come first but I have to worry about affording gas for my car.  >:( Anyways, it's great not having to pay for all those scripts. I actually only take two pills now. How cool is that? I take phoslo and prevacid. I just don't understrand why my bp is so good now. I've been on bp meds for over 10 yrs...and now....NOTHING!
Oh, and just about every week since I moved here, they've had to raise my dry wait. I was about 108 lbs, now I'm up too 123 lbs., unfortunately, it's accumulating around my mid section. :banghead; Why oh why can't it go to my @ss :banghead?!?! Shoot, how about my thighs! LOL....I guess I should be happy I'm putting some weight on.  :yahoo;
Anyways, anyone else have weird bp issues?

Later~Robert

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
circleNthedrain

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:36:52 AM »

Hey tubes, I am on a similar BP path, but it's taking me a little longer than you.  When I re-started hemo about 20 months ago, I was taking 3 BP meds (Cardizem, clonidine and coreg).  I now just take 1/2 a coreg about 3 times a week and I am about to stop that, too.  I have been on BP meds for over 30 years, while on hemo, PD, transplants ect.  Don't know what is causing this, BUT I LIKE IT!

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:10:27 AM »

I was only on one blood pressure med, but within one week of going on the PD cycler, all my BP results were between 100-110 systolic and between 65 and 75 diastolic, and they told me to only use my meds "as needed."  Haven't used them since the middle of May.  Seems like the cycler is doing a really great job of imitating my kidneys!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »

Same experience here.  By the end of my transplant I was taking 5 different BP meds, most at maximum or close to maximum doses.  Immediately after starting hemo again I had to start cutting them out and now I take only 100mg of acebutolol and that will soon be gone too. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »