I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 11:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Is CPD a good idea?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is CPD a good idea?  (Read 4404 times)
hookedonheparin

« on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

I have been on dialisys for a while and my fistula is hurting a lot, I am trying to convince my doctor to do CPD, and he is not very happy about my choice, however he is not the one having to deal with the pain every day, I do home dialisys 5 to 6 times per week, and the pain on my fistula seems to get worse every day, any coments or advise please. :Kit n Stik;

Edited: Fixed error in subject line - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:14:42 PM by okarol » Logged
Wallyz

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:51:47 PM »

PD will give you much worse dialysis. What type of pain is it?  Just when you stick, or is it continuous?
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

PD will give you much worse dialysis. What type of pain is it?  Just when you stick, or is it continuous?

Wrong. As far as  I understand it PD gives as good a dialysis as haemo given that the patient has a functioning peritoneal membrane and a correctly positioned catheter. It also has the advantage in that the dialysis takes place while you sleep and therefore does not take up valuable leisure time.

Ken
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »

I agree with Ken.  PD is done nearly 24/7, as close to real kidneys as you can get.  Even when I was doing 6 exchanges a day, I never found it as intrusive as the 3 months when I was on hemo.
Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:37:02 AM »

Those are  a couple big ifs, and while people on PD like it better, the mortality rates are much higher. Daily or near daily home hemo is the best kind of dialysis offered.  Ideally, it is done overnights, like PD.  HoH, you might want to look at extended nights, and use benadryl, like Neo, another member here on IHD.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

Wallyz, I've never heard that mortality rates on PD are much higher.  Please cite your sources. 
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:15:52 AM »

PD is done nearly 24/7, as close to real kidneys as you can get. 

Unfortunately, that is not true.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/cgi/reprint/14/11/2851.pdf

Wallyz, I've never heard that mortality rates on PD are much higher.  Please cite your sources. 

Long term, PD mortality rates are higher.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Wallyz

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

Please click on the link in original post.
TheSpleen

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »

PD will give you much worse dialysis.

Don't give people shitty advice.
Most things in life are not black and white, so when someone makes a statement as cut and dried as this, odds are pretty good it's inacurate, or at least incomplete.

For instance http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2053782  :
...we present evidence that CAPD/CCPD, a newer and less costly method of renal replacement therapy, is not associated with increased mortality rates relative to hemodialysis.

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v57/n4/abs/4491513a.html  :
There was no survival advantage for either modality in any of the major subgroups defined by age, sex, or diabetic status.

There surely are other studies that will suggest the opposite is true. Bottom line is it's not as simple as "one is much worse than the other." There are probably lots of other factors that would determine which is best for you.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

:welcomesign;   welcome hooked...I have heard and experienced good about home hemo and am back on incenter and know several people on PD who are very happy with it.  What is your Dr's reason for not being happy about your choice?  Have you had major stomach surgeries that would prevent it from working?  That is my problem.  Opened from chest to Navel so they don't think I have a good chance of PD to work otherwise I would have wanted to try it.  Talk to your Dr..there must be reasons???  Also look for reasons for the pain in your fistula..is it every site? are you doing laddering to strengthen the whole fistula? if not try using a different site...mine just has a lot of pain when it needs a fistulagram.  Check with a surgeon who specializing in your veins.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »