I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 01:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney transplant patient - 35 years of health
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney transplant patient - 35 years of health  (Read 1240 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 15, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »

Kidney transplant patient

By Mary Grothause, The Delphos Herald
Published:  Friday, September 12, 2008

MIDDLE POINT — Penny Jo “P.J.” Burnett will be celebrating a birthday of sorts today, 35 years of health given to her by a kidney transplant from her sister, Mary “Scarecrow” Foust.

Burnett was just 17 years old and a senior at Lincolnview High School when she suddenly became ill in January 1973. “I went to school and then I was babysitting for my sister. When she came home, I just fell down,” Burnett said.

Her family took her to the family physician in Van Wert, Dr. Underwood, who did an examination and noted her symptoms. Burnett said, “He had an idea what was wrong and decided to send her to Ohio State Hospital in Columbus because he had no idea how to treat it.”

Once Burnett went through a battery of medical tests, including a spinal tap and bone marrow check, the family physician was proved correct in his diagnosis, Goodpasture’s Syndrome.

Goodpasture’s is a rare disease that affects the lungs and kidneys. The body’s immune system makes antibodies that attack body organs. In Burnett’s case, primarily the kidneys.

P.J. was told her kidneys would have to be removed and she would start dialysis treatment after her surgery in March, 1973.

“At that time, the only place for dialysis was in Columbus. I had to go for treatment every other day and each session was four-and-a-half hours long,” she said.

Then came a setback for the young teenager — she had a stroke.

“I was paralyzed from the neck down and could only communicate by blinking my eyes, once for ‘no’ and twice for ‘yes’,” Burnett said.

The process began within the family to find a compatible kidney donor, and with six brothers and six sisters, several matches were found for her. “My brother, Ted, was in the Navy and he was a good match, but he had three arteries and I only had two. Then my sister Mary Foust was chosen and on Sept. 11, they took one of her kidneys and gave it to me,” she remembered.

Burnett’s new kidney began working immediately while she was still in the operating room. She appreciates the ordeal her sister went through because Mary’s incision was a lot lengthier than Burnett’s.

“Nowadays, I think they just remove a kidney like liposuction,” she laughed.

Mary, then a 23-year-old mother of one, went on to recover just fine and eventually had two more children. P.J. found it amusing that Mary’s husband had to give his permission for his wife to have the surgery.

“He was good about it. He said whatever it takes,” commented Burnett.

Burnett experienced some mild signs of organ rejection two to three weeks after the surgery. Her doctor ordered her to a nursing home near the hospital in Columbus where she had to be in isolation for six weeks.

“I was sick of being in there and I just wanted to go home and be with my family. My 18th birthday was coming up on Nov. 3 and I wanted to be home so I made a bet with my doctor. I had been riding the exercise bike daily and I bet him I could ride faster than he could, then he’d have to let me go home. He only rode 27 mph and I rode 36 mph, so I won my bet and I got to go home,” she laughed.

Burnett had to go for checkups every three weeks, progressing down to once a year, and now only if she feels she has a problem. Her health is good and she’s been co-owner along with Susie Thompson since 2002 of the Rambler’s Roost at Middle Point.

Burnett is thankful for her family’s support, especially her mother who is still active at age 85. And most of all to her sister Mary who gave one of her kidneys so P.J. could live.

http://www.delphosherald.com/2008/09/12/kidney-transplant-patient/print/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »