I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 09:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2777 times)
BabieDahl

« on: September 10, 2008, 05:56:58 PM »

Hi my name is Tiphanie,

Where do I start? hmmmm I have been type 1 Diabetic for 23 years since I was 11 years old and since then I haven't had to many problems related to my diabetes until now.  I went to see my doctor for my usual check up and I received a phone call from his nurse in early February saying my kidney's could be damaged or failing and I needed to see someone right away, so I called and they could not get me in for almost 2 months so I had them call and make me an appointment in 2 weeks. Well when I went to my appointment the doctor walked in and simply said i needed a transplant!  So to make a long story short here I am.  I start PD on Monday and I am scared out of my Witt's. My 10 year old and my mother think I'm going to die. and I don't know if it is because my sister just passed away a few years ago or not or if it is because they just don't know what is going on.  I take my son to the doctors when they are teaching me how to do dialysis and when they explained the transplant procedures just so he will know as much as I do. I hope it helps!

so I really hope that dialysis makes me feel better, because the way I feel lately just doesn't work!!

I guess I should tell you about what I do for fun or something. hehehe  My life is my husband (Mike) and my son (Spencer) and we do everything together I couldn't ask for better people in my life.  For fun I and my husband are the coordinator's for Metro Fire Agency Rehab and I love it we are called out to 2 alarm or higher fires and make sure the firefighter have a place to get nutrition and fluids to stay hydrated during a fire.  We are also the C.E.R.T. (Community Emergency Responce Team) coordinator's for our city.  So I have been helping my community for so long it is hard to think that i need someone else's help just to make it through the day sometime.

Well I guess I have babbled long enough, I hope I did it right or gave you enough information. (hehe) If not feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Tiphanie
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

Welcome to IHD.  I'm so sorry that you need to be here but since you're in the same boat that we are, it's the best place to be.  Post often and let us know how you're getting on.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »

:welcomesign;  Sorry all of this was thrown on you at once!  I had kinda the same experience.... I had been seeing the same nephrologist for 2 years, then he told me I was doing great... I could wait and come back in 6 months instead of 3... (I thought "wow!   I must be doing really good")  I called to make my 6 month appointment and that neph had quit.... there wouldn't be another for another 3-4 months... so it had been 8 months since I had seen a neph and I go see the new neph (whom I love dearly, he is the best!!!) and he comes in and says "okay, we need to get started on getting you on the transplant list"  I was FLOORED!  He went back 2 years and I had been stedily going down.... I WAS NOT doing great the last time my old nephrologist had seen me.... what a jerk!

Anyways....  :flower;  Please come back often!!!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »

:welcomesign;   We are so glad you joined us.  This is a great site and you will find lots of people here to help you.   We have a lot of PD's here, so they can help you if you have any questions.  There is so much information here.  Probably more than any doctor could give you.  Sounds like you are a special family; giving of yourselves to help others.   Let some of the others help you for awhile.  It is hard to suddenly need a helping hand when you are the one usually helping others.  Come here when you need a place to vent.  We are here for you  :grouphug;

Paris,moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »

Welcome Tiphanie to IHD,

It may be a tough road you are on but at least you have your family and us for support and understanding. I don't think you mentioned what it was that your sister died from but anyone at any moment could die from anything. Dialysis helps extend your life because surely without dialysis you wouldn't live long. You have come to the right place to learn about ESRD and dialysis and also transplant. Share IHD with your family so they can learn with you not from you. Ask questions and post all you want, we will see you in the forums.

Sluff/Admin
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

hello and glad to know you
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

Welcome aboard.  I'm also on PD (for 5 years).  Nothing to be scared about.  Because PD is closer to your real kidney action, you should feel right as rain in no time at all!  We're here for you if you have questions.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »

Hi Tiphanie.  Never heard that name before.  Is it a special name or family name?
Welcome to our group.  Come right on in and sit right down and start typing.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »

Welcome Tiphanie , Good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 04:13:44 AM »

:welcomesign; Tiphanie. We are glad that you have found us. We are loaded with information and so much support. We hope to hear more from you and please ask questions. :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
dajen

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:49 AM »

:welcomesign;

Hello and welcome aboard!! I had a transplant back in 2001 and it recently failed so I had to go back on dialysis. Trust me it will make you feel better. You will not be tired and sick all the time anymore. Write back if you just want to talk sometime. I am also married with a wonderful wife who helped me very much get through having to go back on dialysis after 7 years of not having to be on it.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 06:35:33 AM »

great intro Tiphanie. We are so glad you joined. I hope all works out with your treatment

Boxman, Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
devon

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:23:01 AM »

Hello Tiphanie!

I hope we can assist in some way as you work your way through this. 

You're not alone here!

-Devon
florida.flyer

The JAX ramp rat

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 06:40:53 AM »

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 02:44:10 AM »

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

Welcome to our community, Tiphanie!  Not at all, your introduction is just the kind that the site's founder used to like!  We like to get to know our members.  You will find out that this is much more than just a forum - it is a family  :grouphug;   My own experience is that at first you take a little time to get used to dialysis, but then you start to feel much better.  So hang in there.  Take advantage of all this site has to offer.  Read as much as you can and  post as much as you can.
Let us know how things are going with you.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »

Welcome to the site.  There is an entire section devoted to PD. Go read and get informed.  The more you know the better you will be able to take care of yourself.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »