I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:26:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Potassium Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Potassium Question  (Read 3790 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: September 05, 2008, 01:43:58 AM »

Tonight the pumps in back broke down.  So they were running in sincranization only pulling fluid.  The 2k was broke but the 3k was running.  So, I said just put me on 3k and XXXXX (the young tech) was trying to tell me that 3k would ADD potassium to my blood.  WHAT?  He said that 2k kept your blood the same and 3k added potassium to your blood and 1k took it down. 

You can't be adding anything to your blood through the bath!  It is not sterile. 

Also, what does the machine warm.  Your dialysate, or the water or both.  I was getting cold and the nurse told me that since the dialysate was off and that is what the machine warms up.  I said is the water still on.  She said no.  I said SOMETHING has to be bathing the fibers.  Oh I guess the water is on but the machine doesn't warm that up.  WHAT??  That water in those places is COLD.

Any feedback would be helpful.            :waving;

circleNthedrain

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:23:15 AM »

Hey Rerun, I don't have the answer about what is heated by the machine, but I bet someone will. (I think it is the dialysate).  I know I was on a 2K bath for awhile, until my K got too high.  I've been on 1K bath and now my K is normal, with no dietary changes.  Hope this helps a little.

1979 Diagnosed with kidney failure
1979 Right arm fistula
1979 Start hemodialysis
1980 CAPD catheter
1980 Start CAPD
1989 Cadaveric kidney transplant
1995 2nd cadaveric  kidney transplant
2007 Start hemodialysis
2010 Still drawin' wind
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »

The only thing that keeps me warm is my blanket. I run on a 1K bath also. It allows me to eat french frys...Boxman
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:01:01 AM by boxman55 » Logged

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:18:57 AM »

Electrolytes, things like potassium and sodium, are removed from the blood via the dialysate through the process of diffusion.  These small particles move through the membrane of the dialyzer and are washed away.  If the concentration of these particles is higher on the dialysate side they will also move the other way and into the blood since through diffusion the two sides constantly seek to be equal.

Here is Wikipedia's explanation.

Semipermeable membrane
The principle of hemodialysis is the same as other methods of dialysis; it involves diffusion of solutes across a semipermeable membrane. Hemodialysis utilizes counter current flow, where the dialysate is flowing in the opposite direction to blood flow in the extracorporeal circuit. Counter-current flow maintains the concentration gradient across the membrane at a maximum and increases the efficiency of the dialysis.
Fluid removal (ultrafiltration) is achieved by altering the hydrostatic pressure of the dialysate compartment, causing free water and some dissolved solutes to move across the membrane along a created pressure gradient.
The dialysis solution that is used is a sterilized solution of mineral ions. Urea and other waste products, and also, potassium and phosphate, diffuse into the dialysis solution. However, concentrations of sodium and chloride are similar to those of normal plasma to prevent loss. Bicarbonate is added in a higher concentration than plasma to correct blood acidity. A small amount of glucose is also commonly used.
Note that this is a different process to the related technique of hemofiltration.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:21:21 AM »

In PD we warm up the dialysate, so it seems logical to be the dialysate.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »

Monrein is correct. The acid bath contains potassium, sodium and magnesium. The potassium level in the blood will diffuse toward the level in the dialysate, so a 3K will remove less potassium than a 1 or 2K.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »

I always have a high potassium.  Usually 5.5 to 6.  My doc won't put me on 1k.  Says it is against policy because some study showed more heart attacks with 1k.  But my potassium is always high. The 2k wouldn't work.  Wouldn't it be better to run me on 3K than not run me at all??  For a weekend??  They were just pulling fluid?

I realize that 3K pulls less.  But not pulling anything is stupid!

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:49:05 AM »

I called the center to see if the 2k pump was fixed.  They said yes.  I asked what the early shift did. 

They just ran everybody on a 3k.  OH Really!  How brilliant is that!

:rant;

Wallyz

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »

You were correct rerun, that a 3k bath would have been better than nothing.  Write a letter.  That's really poor care.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »