I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ok...What's going on?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ok...What's going on?  (Read 3142 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: August 25, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »

I mentioned in another thread that in early August my Creatinine was at 8.32.  My Neph. told me to do another lab one week from Aug. 7th and unless my Creatinine came down he would have to start me on dialysis.   So one week later, as requested, I did the lab.  My Creatinine came down to 7.71 (or something close to that).  He was satisfied that I could wait, being that I look and feel good.  Also, my GFR was 6 at that time.

I went in today for my EPO shot and my labs are showing my Creatinine now at 6.36 and my GFR has raised to 7.    Is it normal for your labs to "improve" somewhat before having to start dialysis?  I didn't see my Neph today, but I have an appointment on Thursday a.m.

Anyone get close to starting and then not have to.  How long did it last?

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »

I guess it varies depending on how you feel. When I first started dialysis, my creatinine was less than 6 and my GFR was about 12 or 13. I guess when you start feeling uremic, you'll know it's time.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:37 PM »

I hear ya.  Today I was I was told twice "I can't believe you're sick.  You look so good."  One was a Stage 4 kidney patient and the other was an ex-dialysis nurse.  And the truth is I do feel pretty good.  I get tired and my weak, but that's about it.  I do have the ammonia breath somewhat, but it's not bad.  I dread the day everything changes for the worse.  Hopefully my body/kidneys can continue to function at a level that keeps me off dialysis until I can find a donor - live or dead.   My sis-in-law is testing now.  She's waiting to hear back on her blood type.      :thx;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »

kelly, glad the numbers are not going in the wrong direction.  Just keep praying for the transplant :2thumbsup;  I'm hoping you have a few more months before starting dialysis. :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Yup, I've found that my numbers bounce around from time to time.  I never have found out whether the numbers are "truth" or something the lab did right or wrong.  I just go with the flow!
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

My numbers are always bouncing around also.
I hold my breath and pray every time I go in for my blood test. Like you, I am pre-dialysis and holding out as long as possible.
It so hard to say why my creatinine and GFR levels change, but I do think it has do to with hydration and diet along with whether
I'm fighting colds or allergies. Maybe these things affect you to. Hang in there and keep putting up the big fight for your health.
Good luck.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:22:21 PM »

Today I was I was told twice "I can't believe you're sick.  You look so good."  One was a Stage 4 kidney patient and the other was an ex-dialysis nurse. 

Remember, you can't judge a book by its cover.

8)

PS: I still get that all the time.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »

I never have found out whether the numbers are "truth" or something the lab did right or wrong.  I just go with the flow!
A Nurse once told me most of the blood tests aren't always accurate, it depends, she said, on how long the blood sits until its tested. Our blood is sent to California via UPS for testing.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

I agree as I have experienced a "bad draw" first hand.  My neph called me personally and asked how I was feeling.  I said fine, why?  He said my potassium was at a deadly level.  I had to go the next morning for a blood test and sure enough my potassium was within range.  He suspected a bad draw being that I felt good.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:07:02 PM »

The instruments that they use to make these measurements can "drift."  They have to be calibrated on a regular basis.  I always assume that the bouncing around in Stephen's bloodwork can be attributed, at least in part, to this or some other sort of measurement error.  There is always going to be some very small % error in a measurement.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 07:12:25 PM »

I drop off my weekly blood work at the local hospital.  Once every 3 months, when I do my PTH, I drop it off at another hospital that my dialysis unit is affiliated with, because the local hospital doesn't have the equipment for the PTH results, so they have to send them out.  Out of curiosity's sake, I did a double set of labs once.  There is a significant difference is the lab results on the same batch of blood just from lab to lab!  Like a phos of 3.3 at one, and 5.6 at another.

I also think the creatine and GFR will vary depending on what you have been doing before the blood draw.  Were you more physically active for several days before one, and were just resting and relaxing a few days before the other?  Things like exercise, diet, and meds can effect you lab results.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »