I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:24:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Aspirin Use Associated with Improved Arteriovenous Fistula Survival
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aspirin Use Associated with Improved Arteriovenous Fistula Survival  (Read 3252 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:18 AM »

As always, consult you doctor.
 8)

Consistent Aspirin Use Associated with Improved Arteriovenous Fistula Survival among Incident Hemodialysis Patients in the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study

Takeshi Hasegawa*,,, Stacey J. Elder, Jennifer L. Bragg-Gresham, Ronald L Pisoni, Shin Yamazaki, Tadao Akizawa||, Michel Jadoul¶, Rayner C. Hugh**, Friedrich K Port, and Shunichi Fukuhara
* Division of Nephrology, Fujiyoshida Municipal Hospital, Yamanashi, Japan;  Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine and Public Health, Kyoto, Japan;  Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Yokohama, Japan;  Arbor Research Collaborative for Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan; || Division of Nephrology, Showa University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan; ¶ Université Catholique de Louvain, Cliniques Universitaires St-Luc, Bruxelles, Belgium; and ** Department of Renal Medicine, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, United Kingdom

Correspondence: Dr. Takeshi Hasegawa, Department of Epidemiology and Healthcare Research, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine and Public Health, Konoe-cho Yoshida, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8501, Japan. Phone: 81-75-753-4646; Fax: 81-75-753-4644; Email: tahasegawa-npr@umin.net

Background and objectives: The relationship between aspirin use and arteriovenous fistula (AVF) survival has been lacking. The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between AVF survival and aspirin use.

Design, setting, participants, & measurements: Data on 2815 incident hemodialysis patients (on dialysis  30 d) using an AVF at enrollment into the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study between 1996 and 2004 were analyzed. Cox regression was used to examine the association between aspirin use and the risk of final AVF failure, first AVF failure, and a gastrointestinal bleeding event. Aspirin use was determined at baseline and one year later. Patients using aspirin at baseline and one year later were considered consistent aspirin users. All models accounted for facility clustering effects and were adjusted for age, race, gender, body mass index, prior permanent access failure, prior placement of a catheter, 10 comorbid conditions, laboratory data, and other medications, and stratified by regions.

Results: Consistent aspirin use was significantly related to a lower risk of final AVF failure. Facility-level analysis, which may reduce confounding by indication, also showed a nearly significant trend of reduced risk of final AVF failure with greater prevalence of consistent aspirin use within dialysis facilities (P for trend = 0.07). The occurrence of a new gastrointestinal bleeding event during the study period was not associated with aspirin use.

Conclusions: These results suggest that consistent aspirin use may be beneficial for AVF survival among incident hemodialysis patients.

http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/3/5/1373

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »

Very interesting, Zach. My doc says no aspirin for some reason.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

Does anyone here take asprin for these reasons? 

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »

I was taking a baby aspirin because my vascular surgeon told me to but then I would have a hard time stopping the bleeding at dialysis so I quit.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »

I understand the logic....the thinner the blood the better it is for the fistula. I'm sure aspirin plus heparin would cause some bleeding problems. I'm wondering if the aspirin would filter out during the dialysis process.

Wallyz

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »

I remembered this from a while back:

http://kidneydiseases.about.com/b/2007/03/30/aspirin-protects-dialysis-patients-from-staph-infection.htm

Researchers recently published results suggesting that aspirin use may cut the risk of Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) infections associated with hemodialysis catheters. They retrospectively looked at 4,722 blood cultures from 872 patients and they found that S. aureus infections were less common in patients receiving aspirin as compared to those not receiving it (a 54% decrease). Those taking a higher dose (325 mg) appeared to be more protected than those taking a reduced dose (81 mg).

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »

I've always been told no aspirin, only Tylenol but that might have had to do with the transplant.  Last time I was on D I remember the no aspirin thing too but we used quite a bit more heparin in those days as I recall.

My husband used to take daily aspirin for heart health reasons, until on  a canoe trip once he had a leech attach to his leg.  When he removed it, he didn't stop bleeding for about five hours. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:10:14 PM »

No aspirin for Otto due to transplant

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:43:54 PM »

No aspirin for Marvin since 1987 -- he also has ITP (low platelets), and aspirin further complicates this disease (low platelets = longer clotting time, and aspirin thins blood even more).
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

I can't take asperin since my gastric bypass and bleeding ulcers but it probably would help the blood flow better, although today I did NOT have that problem..it was too free flowing.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »

my dr has put me on asprin 100mg a day i don't have any problems with bleeding after i pull the needles

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

We have a couple of patients on low dose aspirin for cardiac problems. They get reduced doses of heparin during dialysis.

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »

Been told to take  aspirin shortly after my fistula was put in this go around.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

I'm on aspirin because it helps my retinopathy.  They tried to take me off it when I started dialysis, because I was bleeding for a really long time, but my eye doc wasn't budging.  Health over convenience!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »