I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  lousy nurses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lousy nurses  (Read 2610 times)
way2long

« on: August 04, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »

:sir ken; i just got done with dialysis, to begin with the nurse got me on 15 minutes late, at the end i had 10 minutes left and was cramping. i asked her to take me off that i was cramping, she tells me "you still have ten minutes left i cant take you off" she wouldnt take me off so i called the charge nurse and told her what was happening she told my nurse "it was ok to take me off since i had only ten minutes left". i hate nurses that wont listen to the patient,they think they know better.

i have been on dialysis since 1977 that is why my name is way2long.  I just found out about this site 2 days ago, if i new a site like this was out there then i would have been the first to join. Its nice to be able to gripe about dialysis to some one that knows what I'm talking about.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

Sometimes you feel like  :banghead; not only do we have to put up with this crappy illness , but then we meet the know-it-all. Sometimes you feel like screaming at them , its my body, my treatment, my pain , my CHOICE ! I hope you get a more sympathetic nurse next time.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »

Remember, you have the option of signing out any time you want to. Always make a note on the form with the reason for ending your session. These forms do get reviewed by the charge nurses and administrators.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »

Tell them YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to quit this damn treatment for good if you want to and that YOU ARE paying them.  When they start paying YOU to be on the machine than they can boss you around.  This kind of situation makes me so mad.   :banghead;

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »

cramping hurts like hell
wish that nurse could experience your pain >:D
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

The most commonly ignored fact in all of medicine is that any medical treatment applied to the patient against the patient's will constitutes battery and can result in criminal prosecution of the person applying it.  The medical profession thinks they are gods over the patients, and unfortunately, most of the patients are too timid to protest.  I remember being in the hospital once and having a patient ask me if it was legal for him to leave the hospital if his doctor had refused to release him, or if he could be arrested if he left.  Of course this was an absurd question, since keeping someone in a hospital who does not want to be there is false arrest, and a doctor has no arrest powers!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:20:16 AM »

Thank God for my nurses.  :clap; They are as far away from what is sometimes described here as one could possibly imagine.  Undoubtedly it helps that my centre is small, and self-care but they are incredibly compassionate nurses (and the techs who clean the machines are too) even with a couple of patients that might be called "difficult".  They're funny and warm and very personable, and seem to take a very real interest in our well-being.  The nurses at the hospital were very good too, for the most part, but the atmosphere is way different since many patients there are so ill.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:03 AM »

I remember being in the hospital once and having a patient ask me if it was legal for him to leave the hospital if his doctor had refused to release him, or if he could be arrested if he left.  Of course this was an absurd question, since keeping someone in a hospital who does not want to be there is false arrest, and a doctor has no arrest powers!

That reminds me about when Jenna had her fistula revision and was in the hospital for the day. The nurses told us she had to wait an additional 2 hours after leaving recovery due to "hospital policy." When I questioned the nurse, feeling it was unnecessary, she told me it was required. Jenna and I decided to leave anyway, but didn't tell the staff. Jenna was afraid we would be detained if discovered. We were laughing as we made our escape. I told her if they came after us that I would create a distraction by overturning a cart to block their approach, and she was to quickly run to the parking garage where I would meet her. It was hysterically funny at the time. Ridiculous too.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

My nurses are great and I'm the most difficult patient they have.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »

I can not think you are a difficult patient, FlipBob.
somber or drunk you have to be the best :rofl;
 :wine; :puke; :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »

I remember being in the hospital once and having a patient ask me if it was legal for him to leave the hospital if his doctor had refused to release him, or if he could be arrested if he left.  Of course this was an absurd question, since keeping someone in a hospital who does not want to be there is false arrest, and a doctor has no arrest powers!

Actually, it's false imprisonment, but point is, it's against the law. As someone else pointed out, most patients are simply too timid to stand up for themselves. I have a pretty strong personality, and yet in new situations (especially medical) I still find myself kind of sitting back and letting "the experts" do what they will...until I get home and do some research on my own.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »

Yesterday I had a really bad earache was asked to be taken off early because I felt miserable.  They took me off 15 minutes early, no questions, no lectures, nothing.  I think they know me by now--I just don't ask to be taken off all the time it has to be a really GOOD reason for me especially on a weekend. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »