I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:31:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant after less than TWO days on the list!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant after less than TWO days on the list!!  (Read 8975 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: August 05, 2006, 01:19:46 PM »

Someone I know got a kidney on Thursday.  She was put on the transplant list on Tuesday.  They intended to pack their emergency bags this weekend -- never got time to do it!  The kidney was a match for two others ahead of her on the list, but for some reason neither of them could get a transplant on Thursday, so it went to her.

She lives less than 10 miles from me and I have been keeping their dog for several years, whenever they travel.  I got a call from her husband last evening.  Their son will be bringing the dog. 

She's in the hospital in Charleston, SC -- the kidney is already producing large volumes of urine!  He said they are hoping that she'll be in the hospital for a few days and then they'll move into a motel for a week, visit the hospital every day, and then come home.

How can someone be so lucky as to be on the list for less than two days!!!  I'd stop and buy a lottery ticket on the way home.

BTW, they are very, very nice people and have had some horrible events in their lives in the past ten years.  They lost their modest house to a tornado while they were in bed sleeping -- some of their belongings were found many miles away.  (The poor dog was so traumatized I had to carry her in my arms for hours before she quit shaking.)  It took them about two years to get a new house.  He has survived colon cancer.  He had years of treatments, surgeries and rehab.  The treatments left him w/ brittle bones.  Shortly after he finally went back to work, he fell off of a small ladder and shattered both legs.  He spent months with legs that looked like small oil rigs, followed by months of rehab and physical therapy.  Her kidneys failed last year, in a matter of months, from an extremely rare combination of two different kidney diseases.  She did PD for a few months and her kidneys began wokring enough to stop the PD.  Now a quick transplant!!  It's about time they got a break.  I am soooo happy for them.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »

Way to go and better than the lottery.  What a super nice story.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »

She had that happiness coming.  I am happy for her.
Tell her about our website.  We would love to hear from her concerning her experiences.  If she doesn't, then you will have to give us third person accounts of it.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 03:02:22 PM »

WOW :o Not Jealous :-\ Happy for her ;D Only Two Days :-X  But seriously I hope everything goes OK with her Transplant :)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 03:08:55 PM »

Tell her about our website.  We would love to hear from her concerning her experiences.  If she doesn't, then you will have to give us third person accounts of it.

She made two posts in March while she was on PD and getting ready to start the journey toward the transplant list.  I'll try to give periodic updates if she doesn't come back.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
sandman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:09:58 PM »

WOW :o Not Jealous :-\ Happy for her ;D Only Two Days :-X  But seriously I hope everything goes OK with her Transplant :)

That is almost exactly what I was going to say.  8)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »

She made two posts in March while she was on PD and getting ready to start the journey toward the transplant list.  I'll try to give periodic updates if she doesn't come back.
What name was she under?

I got my transplant after 2 months of PD and I thought THAT was fast ... wow!!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 06:41:03 PM »

I just had an interesting thought.  How many of you would still be frequenting this site AFTER you got a transplant?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 06:42:32 PM »

I just had an interesting thought.  How many of you would still be frequenting this site AFTER you got a transplant?

I know I would. I mean ... I don't just come here for questions answered but also for support of what I am going through. And to offer support for what I have already gone through since I remember what it was like to be new.

But I will tell you ... that when I get a transplant I would have my life back and probably would be working all the time like before .. so I may post a LOT LESS ;) (give the rest of you a chance to catch up :P )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 06:46:52 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »

That is so exciting for them.  Let's all say a prayer for the family who lost a loved one and gave "the Gift of Life."

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 03:42:26 AM »

Its so good to hear something positive still happens in this mixed up world.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
susie q

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:09:58 AM »

I love to hear when people get their transplants... gives hope to the rest of us..
All the best to your friend  8)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »

From my dialysis days I remember another case somewhat similar to this one.  A lady who dialyzed with me had a sister and both of them had PKD as the cause of their kidney failure.  The sister lived in a different state and was listed and transplanted prior to ever starting dialysis.  The transplanted sister had a job that involved alot of international travel and my understanding is that she never missed a beat. If we adopted universal donor laws in this country like they have in much of Europe organs for transplant wouldn't be so rare.  There they operate on the principal of presumed consent.  When a person dies it is presumed they will be an organ donor unless they have indicated they don't want to be or a family member intervenes at death.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »

There they operate on the principal of presumed consent.  When a person dies it is presumed they will be an organ donor unless they have indicated they don't want to be or a family member intervenes at death.
They were supposed to have that in Canada (at least in my Province) but it was just outvoted :( People seemed to be all against it when I thought that was an EXCELLENT idea since so many people are too lazy to go to the place to consent to organ donation (cadaver) yet are all for it (they just never get around to making it known they are for it.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jdat

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »

2 days! That is really great.

I remember having a friend email me after I told her I had gotten my transplant and she said "Praise God, from Whom All Blessings Flow" .... I somehow felt this was appropriate for this too  :)

I have barely posted since I had my transplant in june.
I have been feeling very down and depressed but rest assured that's unrelated to the transplant.

I might come across as a jerk for saying this but I have just spent the most boring summer in my life.
Didn't go anywhere didn't do anything because I was stuck here for all the post-transplantation consultations.
I am NOT complaining about the follow up at all, it's actually one of the high points of my week as I get out ( an hour and a half away ).
Just haven't been able to do much of anything fun.

I feel so stupid because it's like I'm not even thankful for the transplant ( yet I really really am ! )
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »

I have barely posted since I had my transplant in June.
I have been feeling very down and depressed but rest assured that's unrelated to the transplant.

I might come across as a jerk for saying this but I have just spent the most boring summer in my life.
Didn't go anywhere didn't do anything because I was stuck here for all the post-transplantation consultations.
I am NOT complaining about the follow up at all, it's actually one of the high points of my week as I get out ( an hour and a half away ).
Just haven't been able to do much of anything fun.

I feel so stupid because it's like I'm not even thankful for the transplant ( yet I really really am ! )

Don't feel stupid!!  Of course you're thankful, but transplantation is just another treatment for kidney failure.  There are still trials and tribulations to cope with.   All of the pills and rechecks have to be aggravating.  Just try to hang in there until you can start cutting back on the meds and get out and about more.

Try reading the saga of Gil's third transplant:    http://gil1.home.pipeline.com/esrd/         He has battled many problems and complications and it might give you some inspiration, and information you can use.

Please come back more often.  My husband is not yet on dialysis; everyone with dialysis experience is a source of information for all of us "Newbies".  Besides, this is a great group of people and maybe we can keep you entertained until you're well enough to go dancing every night :P ;D

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
jdat

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »

I repeat what is making me feel sad and such is not directly related to the transplant and the follow up appointments and everything surrounding this health issue.

I feel physically fine ( dancing all night etc ) but it is just the boredom taking over me and bringing me down  :-[
Perhaps being alone all the time hasn't helped.

and perhaps there's some heart troubles involved ( and I don't mean in the cardiac arena :o )
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »

... and perhaps there's some heart troubles involved ( and I don't mean in the cardiac arena :o )

:(  Sorry, I don't know of anything that helps that except time ... well, and maybe some of that dancing.  ;D

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

Jdat,
I know how you feel about the boredom part.  After my lung transplant I went stir crazy and what your describing sounds like how I felt.  I also ended a 2 year relationship with someone.  I felt down for about nine months (even going back to school and getting into another relationship) until I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am not saying that is what you have, but you may look into it.  Hope that helps, and good luck with feeling better... dancing always does it for me too.

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:27:45 PM »

Just keep taking your medicine everyday and on time.  Don't get in a "rut" where you think all this is not worth it.  Just take your medicine and get a life!   ;)

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 09:49:19 PM »

Try reading the saga of Gil's third transplant:    http://gil1.home.pipeline.com/esrd/         He has battled many problems and complications and it might give you some inspiration, and information you can use.

Please come back more often.  My husband is not yet on dialysis; everyone with dialysis experience is a source of information for all of us "Newbies".  Besides, this is a great group of people and maybe we can keep you entertained until you're well enough to go dancing every night :P ;D

Oh wow Black! I have had Gil's page in my links list of my site for awhile now! I didn't know he was the same Gil!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 04:42:11 AM »

I only waited 9 months for a transplant. At the time I had no idea about how long you might be waiting. I do now!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »