I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:25:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Rob got the call
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rob got the call  (Read 2029 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: August 23, 2008, 05:04:06 PM »

Thursday night around 8:20 we got our first call.  The hospital said they had 2 kidneys that were coming available, Rob was 2nd on the list.  The coordinator said they hadn't harvested the kidneys but would call around 10:00 am to let us know what is up and for Rob to go to work like normal.  The next morning nobody called, so Rob called a little after 10:00, they still hadn't harvested the kidneys but said if she didn't call us then it didn't work.  She also said to be ready for a call later in the afternoon (talk about an oxy-moron!  :banghead;).  Well as of 7:00 yesterday evening still no word, so we called the hospital and had her paged.  Turns out the deceased donor wasn't a viable candidate for organ transplantion.  Rob was upset, but glad he finally heard something. 

I can't believe they just left us waiting and waiting with no word.  We were the ones who had to call, we were so annoyed!   >:(.  The good news is that we finally got a call.  The coordinator can't tell us where we are on the list, but did say we weren't too far down.  She also said Rob was an excellent transplant candidate and it shouldn't be too long of a wait.

Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  We went from shock, to disbelief and then to panic.  Like, what were we going to do with our son and the dogs!  Brendan is starting school on Tuesday, talk about a crazy time to do this.  Rob was clearly upset, but glad that he was called and that we won't be waiting for another year or so. 

Is it normal for a hosptial to just not call back?  I mean it was the weekend, so it's not like a ton of people are in the office!  Rob was hoping that yesterday was his last dialysis session for a long time.  Oh well, at least we are over the hump of this all!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »

How exciting to get a call, and then what a let down to not have anyone call back.  :grouphug;

I don't think there is any excuse for that.  I think they have so much going on at the hospital end that they can lose track of how much time has gone by.  But still, they have responsibilities.  They need better protocols for how they handle this sort of situation, which must come up frequently.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

What an imotional rollercoaster!  So glad you got the call..... so sad it didn't go through... but you do atleast know that he is getting closer!  I will keep yall in my prayers!!! :flower;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

I know it's tough but it's definetly a GOOD sign. That happened to us once, I called them back after a reasonable amount of time and was told they had transplanted the kidney in the first patient (Jenna was also 2nd in line.) The coordinator apologized, but she was awake for about 28 hours straight with the family of the deceased donor and was exhausted. Made me more aware of what we needed to do to actually be prepared the next time.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:29:41 AM »

Look at the bright side it will be soon.  :grouphug; It really sucks to be let down.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »

Sorry to hear of your let down. The calls seems to come right after another, hopefully your wait wont be long  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

Thanks everyone.  We are definitely excited about the call and hope another one will happen soon.  What we are really annoyed with is the protocol on the coordinator's end.  I know they work hard, we are thankful for that, but it sucks being on the other end and just not knowing.  I love Rob's hospital, the surgeons are top notch, some of the best in the nation.  However, their coordinators are another story.  We had one coordinator that we were dealing with and she was just so damn rude.  I told her off one day and said, you need to put yourself in our position, this is scary and we have no idea what we are doing. 

Oh well, here's hoping there will be a a light at the end of tunnel soon!   :cheer:

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 07:18:49 PM »

At least you know you are near the top of the list!  Hope the real call comes soon!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »