I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:29:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  67-year-old Alzheimer's patient donates a kidney
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 67-year-old Alzheimer's patient donates a kidney  (Read 1326 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: August 16, 2008, 09:02:27 AM »

67-year-old Alzheimer's patient donates a kidney

By Don Newbury | FOR THE AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Saturday, August 16, 2008
Story last updated at 8/16/2008 - 1:19 am

We have no way of knowing how many "Hal Rowes" there are on the planet. Hopefully, there are more than might be guessed. Had his recent donation been made a couple of millennia earlier, it might have made the Bible as an example of Jesus' "Love thy neighbor" admonition.

In this case, the recipient is a longtime casual friend, a retired music minister named Randy Parsons. The Rowe/Parsons story is the buzz of Lubbock, and it was the centerpiece of Jerry Joplin's recent sermon at Bacon Heights Baptist Church, where Rowe is a longtime deacon.

Hal has always been a give-back kind of guy, but now he's gone and given away a kidney. Not many 67-year-old Alzheimer's patients do such things.

Helping others

Rowe, known for his work behind the scenes, this time drop-kicked his "bushel" to shed light on a strong conviction. Simply stated, he wants to show others that Alzheimer's patients still can help others.

Joyce, his wife of 46 years, knew that any objections would be fruitless. And children Melissa and Kevin soon came around.

"I've got some extra parts that I don't need, and I told Randy last year that if he ever needed a kidney, he could have one of mine," Hal said, smiling.

Medical tests, conferences with doctors and psychiatrists and prayer meetings with Rowe family members followed. Blood types matched, and soon, all caution lights turned to green.

Second transplant

For the 72-year-old Parsons, it was his second time to be a recipient. Fifteen years ago, a liver transplant was successful.

Anti-rejection medication finally got the best of his kidneys, however. He was told that dialysis would one day be needed.

When his kidneys shut down a few months back, Parsons scheduled surgery for the implantation of a shunt, anticipating home dialysis.

Rowe intervened, reminding Parsons of the offer he'd made last year.

Working in the trenches

Rowe is the prototype of a good ol' boy.

He is a 1959 graduate of Temple High School, where he and Joyce started dating during their junior years. They then enrolled at Howard Payne University in Brownwood, where he was awarded a football scholarship. A lineman, he quietly worked in the trenches - as he has in life since.

Hal was the kind of player who'd help the other fellow up, even if he'd been the one who sent him to the turf.

Life in Lubbock

In Lubbock, Hal managed a furniture store for several years. Joyce was a decorated teacher in the public schools, where she signed off on a 24-year career in June.

Along the way, they've accumulated several rental properties.

He's one of the city's most popular landlords, always smiling, extending due dates and unfailingly forgiving.

And to widows in his church, his handiwork in home repairs is legendary. They call him Mr. Fix-It.

Oh, Hal's humor

Quick-witted and ever eager to find humor in unlikely situations, Hal is so far, so good with his disease.

"My memory slips now and then, like it always has," he said and grinned. "But Joyce'll know that it's plumb gone if I try to give away my other kidney."

Doctors and others are nothing short of amazed at the goings-on.

No obstacles

It's all happened fast. Hal's offer was made May 5. The medical transplant committee was thumbs up on June 17, and the next available date for surgery was July 10.

"My prayer all along has been that if this were not the thing for Hal to do that God would shut the door at some point," Joyce said. "There was never even a window closed; it was a go from the beginning. Throughout the procedure, God gave me a perfect peace about everything.

"To see Hal's determination and joy - and how strongly he felt about donating the kidney - makes us very proud of him."

Successful surgery

As Hal and Randy were wheeled into surgery, some of the doctors and nurses blinked back tears as they completed God's miracle. The four-hour surgeries began at 7:30 a.m. The kidney began functioning immediately, and Randy's had no pain medication since the day of surgery. Surprisingly, his vision since the surgery is markedly improved. Doctors say that the toxicity of his system was the reason he could no longer see to read.

The First Baptist Church deacon is reading again, even piano music, his rhythm of life restored.

Hal's a case

What about Hal? His report is A+, too. He's armed with new topics to joke about.

He's bragging about having something in common with Adam.

"We both gave up ribs, but Eve's old man did it without pain medicine!"

Hal's a case, isn't he? I've known that since we were in college together at Howard Payne. He was a decent football player and a good student, a man whose life merits modeling. Maybe others can go to school on what he's done. Just don't try to mimic his humor. I mean, who else would claim kidneys so healthy you'd have to beat 'em to death with a boat oar?

DON NEWBURY is a speaker and author in the Metroplex, newbury@speakerdoc.com, (817) 447-3872, www.speakerdoc.com.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/081608/liv_319258056.shtml

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »