I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:30:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Arvada woman gets kidney through sharing program - YAY!! xtrememoosetrax
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arvada woman gets kidney through sharing program - YAY!! xtrememoosetrax  (Read 2579 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 29, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »

Arvada woman gets kidney through sharing program

By Tracee M. Herbaugh

Originally published 07:38 p.m., July 29, 2008
Updated 07:38 p.m., July 29, 2008

They live in four different states and met only recently. Yet they are bound by a common experience.

On Wednesday, three of them will donate kidneys and three will receive them.

The six people, including an Arvada woman, were brought together by the Alliance for Paired Donations, which creates arrangements to match kidney patients with compatible donors.

It will be the first time the University of Colorado Hospital has participated in the alliance matching program. On Tuesday, patient Maggie Mrva, 56, met donor Martha Hansen, who traveled to Denver from New Mexico for the surgery.

Put simply, the program works this way: A pair made up of a donor and a kidney patient sign up with the alliance because a successful transplant is unlikely. A donor must be willing to give up a kidney to any compatible recipient. That, in turn, gives the partner a chance for an organ from another donor.

Hansen, 48, wanted to donate a kidney to a friend. "But we weren't compatible blood types and we lived so far away it just didn't seem practical," Hansen said. "We decided to look into this; I thought that I could help her that way."

Boleslav Mrva, Maggie's husband and donor partner, is giving a kidney to a patient in Alabama. The patient has a donor partner who is giving a kidney to Hansen's friend.

The three donors will all go under general anesthesia at the same time to avoid any last minute change of plan.

"If one of these pairs was not able to go to surgery, no one goes," said Vonnie Bagwell, the transplant coordinator at CU hospital. "It's really important that all those puzzle pieces come into place."

If a live organ match cannot be found, the alternative is a waiting-list for kidneys harvested from deceased donors. But such organs usually last only half as long as kidneys from live donors.

Maggie Mrva admitted she is "very, very nervous" and wishes her husband could be with her.

"For me it was very hard because he would have surgery somewhere else and if we aren't together it's going to be very very hard," she said. "My husband, he said no, we'll be separated for just one week, but we will be together many, many years after."

HOW IT WORKS

The University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora and hospitals in two other states on Wednesday will conduct simultaneous kidney transplants involving three donors and three recipients. They had registered with the Alliance for Paired Donations, which matches pairs of kidney donors and recipients.

Here's how the three pairs were brought together:

1. Martha Hansen, a New Mexico resident, wanted to donate a kidney to her long-time friend, Robin Graves of North Carolina, who has been on dialysis for four years. However, tests showed the two were incompatible matches.

2. So, Hansen was matched with Arvada resident Maggie Mrva, who suffers from polycystic kidney disease, an illness where the organ is taken over by cysts.

3. Mrva is able to participate in the program because her husband was matched with an unidentified patient in Alabama. He went there on Tuesday to donate his kidney.

4. The Alabama recipient participated with an unidentified donor who will give a kidney to Robin Graves.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/29/aurora-woman-gets-kidney-through-sharing-program/

PHOTO: Maggie Mrva, right, of Arvada is receiving a kidney from Martha Hansen, left, of Albuquerque.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:49:12 AM »

Too cool for school!  :grouphug;
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:52:26 AM »

Love it! :flower;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »

:flower; I'll be thinking of them all today.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
vandie

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Such an incredibly motivating story.   

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:30 PM »

:secret; xtrememoosetrax is part of the IHD family and SHE ROCKS!

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »