I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:19:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Not enough nurses - Dialysis patient says wait times too long
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not enough nurses - Dialysis patient says wait times too long  (Read 1544 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »

Not enough nurses
Dialysis patient says wait times too long

DENISE PIKE
The Compass
22/07/08

Three times a week for the past three years Ira Dale has been going to Carbonear General Hospital for kidney dialysis.
"I'm there every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a good five and a half hours because that's how long it takes," he says. "The year before the unit opened in Carbonear, I had to go to St. John's to have it done."
Dale's kidney failure stems from diabetes. The condition has also taken 90 per cent of his eyesight.
"On top of all that a few years ago I had surgery for five by-passes," he adds. "My life is pretty limited these days. The dialysis machine is my life line."
Friday July 18, Dale, age 58, woke bright and early to go to Carbonear for his 7 a.m. dialysis appointment. Around 6 a.m he got a call from the hospital.
"I was told not to even think about coming in at my usual time because there weren't enough nurses available to work the unit," he says.
When The Compass spoke to Dale at 9:45 a.m, he still hadn't heard back from the hospital.
The Coley's Point man says it isn't the first time his dialysis has been delayed with little or no explanation from the hospital.
"Sometimes I've left the house, en route to the hospital when they have called to cancel. Other times I have been there waiting for over an hour or more to be hooked up because there aren't enough nurses available," he says. "A few times I've even been told to go to St. John's for dialysis because there isn't enough staff at the unit in Carbonear. But I don't want to go to town and I don't see why any of us should have to go. After all, that's why we got this dialysis unit here in the area in the first place, so we wouldn't have to do that. It's just ridiculous."
Dale says the delays affect the other dialysis patients in the unit as well. "There's around five or six of us scheduled in the unit at a time so they are in the same boat that I am," he says.

http://www.cbncompass.ca/index.cfm?sid=155248&sc=326

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »

Hard to believe. Our nurse to patient rato is 4:1 plus one or two floaters for lunches, breaks, etc.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:57:57 PM »

I could see my local hospital doing this. They just started taking in patients off the street compared to doing only in patient services. The diaysis workers switch between hospitals, sometimes just out of the whim call in to say they are not coming in. I don't know how many people they now have working there now that they have a dialysis center though compared to just inpatient care. However, we have 2 dialysis units close by and another in the hospital on the east side of town. Still transportation is a factor.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012