I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Question about fluid retention
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about fluid retention  (Read 4450 times)
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« on: July 12, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »

Okay, I was a bad girl last night and ate some salty.... salty french fries (my weakness).  It seems like I am retaining some fluids.  I noticed it last night.  I notice it in my shin area... when I push down on my shin, the skin bounces back but if you run your finger over it you can feel a little indention.  My output has been great.  Yesterday my intake was 2000 ml and output was 3000 ml.  Do you think it is just the salt... or should I call my TC on call?  I feel good.. no fever or anything... my output is running normal today.....

I am still on 25 mg (just lowered on Monday from 30 mg) Prednisone.... constantly hungry... but I have been trying my best to be a good girl, but gaining weight.  I have heard that Prednisone makes you retain fluids in the lower extremeties....  any of yall experience that?

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »

I found this (I posted it as it was written, not all of it will apply to you.)

Question: Will the weight I gained while taking prednisone ever go away?

Weight gain during prednisone therapy is common. The weight gain is typically due to a combination of factors: fluid retention, increased calorie consumption, and decreased physical activity.

Answer:

Prednisone causes the body to retain sodium (salt) and lose potassium. This combination can result in fluid retention, weight gain, and bloating. Measures that can be used to avoid fluid retention in the first place are eating a reduced sodium diet and increasing potassium intake through potassium-rich foods (such as bananas, cantaloupe, grapefruit, and lima beans).

Higher calorie consumption is also typical while taking prednisone because the drug can cause an increase in appetite. Some tips to avoid gaining weight include decreasing calories consumed each day, decreasing fat, and eating several small meals a day instead of 3 large ones.

Many people are taking prednisone due to an inflammatory condition or a chronic condition. These conditions often make physical activity difficult. When possible, physical activity can help prevent or lessen the weight gain from prednisone.

Prednisone can also cause the redistribution of fat, which makes even a small amount weight gain more intolerable. The weight tends to be located in the face, back of the neck, and the abdomen.

The good news is that this side effect tends to reverse when the dosage of prednisone is taken below 10 mg/day. The fluid retention and increased appetite will decrease. Any weight gain, however, will not reverse itself. Sticking to a healthful eating plan and getting regular exercise will be needed to take off the pounds. It will be easier to do both of these things when the underlying condition for which the prednisone was prescribed is resolved, or under control.

Your physician can recommend the best diet and fitness plan that works with your particular lifestyle and any medical conditions. Unfortunately, there is no easy road to weight loss, which is why there are so many diet plans and pills that promise a quick weight loss.

The best way to lose weight, however, is still through a healthy lifestyle: reducing calorie consumption and getting regular exercise. Weight loss should be slow and steady to give the best chance of losing the pounds permanently.

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/prednisone/f/predweight.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 04:11:24 PM »

Donnia,

I retained bunches of fluid right after I stopped dialysis after the transplant. Freaked me out! But we figured out it was one of my BP meds -- I think Norvask or something similar. My dr took me off it and gave me a diuretic, then all was fine after about 2 weeks.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »

Donnia,  Maybe, very probably, it's nothing.  But, why not call just to be safe?  Stephen's nurse practitioner told him to call anytime he didn't feel quite right.  She said it was better for them to decide than for him to decide when something needed to be checked. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Robby712

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

After about 2 weeks post transplant they put me on Lasix, a water pill that helps get rid of the excess fluid.  I stayed on it for about 6-12 months if memory serves.

Also, now that I'm on dialysis 3x a week sometimes I put on one of those plastic sweat suits that you can get for like 10 bucks from target or wal-mart and run on the tread-mill or cut the grass (both take 30-45 min)  that usually cuts anywhere from .5-1.5 kg...my doc told me no more than 2x a week though.  It does help with the fluid retention.

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »

Donnia,

I retained bunches of fluid right after I stopped dialysis after the transplant. Freaked me out! But we figured out it was one of my BP meds -- I think Norvask or something similar. My dr took me off it and gave me a diuretic, then all was fine after about 2 weeks.

You know, I just started taking Norvasc on Tuesday...... I am going to call my Neph. tomorrow and talk to him about it.  Thanks so much.

Pelagia... I am going to call my TC today.  Just want to give them a little time to get up and around.

Robby712...  I was on Lasix for 5 days post tx.  After that I was okay until this week....  I am thinking it could be associated with the Norvasc as MIbarra said because I just started taking it this week too.

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 06:16:02 AM »

Wow MIbarra... I looked up the side effects of the Norvasc and I am experiencing many of them..... fluid retention, pain in legs and feet, headaches, acid reflux, tiredness.

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:30 AM »

You're welcome. I've tried two calcium channel blockers for high BP. Cardizem and Norvasc -- each I had the same reaction with.

Hope you get everything worked out on Monday. Remember not to stop taskig the Norvasc until your dr gives you a replacement if that is what he or she is going to do.

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

I talked to both, my doctor and TC today.  Dr. told me to not take the Norvasc tonight, as it has not helped the blood pressure anyways (still averaging about 152/90).  He is going to look at my charts tomorrow and see what he wants to give me.  TC of course said to talk to the doctor, but thanked me for giving her the heads up.  My left ankle is all swolen!  UGGHH!!!

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »

Hopefully your blood pressure will start to drop on its own.  Stephen's starting dropping about a month after the transplant and hasn't stopped yet. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »

I sure hope it starts to drop.  It was great for about 3 1/2 weeks.... then the last week and a half it has been averaging  about 155/92. 

I would love for it to be  normal, but I dont think Im going to get that lucky.  I have had high blood pressure for a long time..... my father had it too... he had his first stroke in his 30's and died of a mild heart attack, in his sleep, when he was 54 ( I was 22 ).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »