I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cant take the headaches!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cant take the headaches!!  (Read 3096 times)
7piglets

Me and the boys

« on: July 07, 2008, 08:00:48 AM »

After each treatment a 1/2 before they end I start to get headache and then it gets progressively worse through the day.. I now take tylenol before the end which helps alittle and at least helps me drive home but my day is shot..The staff and dr knows about them but doesnt seem too concerned..
I also have another issue ..I never had highbp and never retained water now they switched me from Renegels to Renvella and my bp is high after treatment (which was always low) and now retaining water (prior I was not having fluids taken out and I was alwasy same weight going in )
any ideas..
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:06:14 AM »

This will sound cray, but are you getting dehydrated. Your body may be trying to hold on to the fluid for that reason. That could be why your BP is going up. With warmer weather you might need a different fluid restriction. I was on a 32 oz a day restriction and was getting severe headaches. My doctor changed it to drink when you are thirsty. I wasn't on dialysis though. Sorry I am probably not much help. Good Luck I hope someone can help more.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »

It is possible that you are dehydrated after each session.  Take a good look at your dry weight, and make sure they aren't draining you too dry.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »

I agree about the fluid. Jenna got monster headaches due to too much fluid coming off. Be sure they adjust your dry weight. If you're still urinating and not gaining to much during off days, they need to override the default settings so no fluid (or a minimum) is removed. We always had to request this and most techs didn't want to bother, so I had to ask the charge nurse to adjust it.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Trikkechickk

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »

I also had the same problem.  When I started dialysis, my estimated dry weight was 52 Kg.  I  also would go into muscle cramps about the last 1/2 of big D.  When I said I was having headaches, my tech upped my dry weight to 52.5 Kg.  Still was having cramps the last 1/2 hr so now the dry weight is 53 Kg.  All problems solved.  Fortunately I have a good team that listens to me.
7piglets

Me and the boys

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:46:01 PM »

thanks
They did adjust my dry weight but still not helping.. I will talk to them again tomorrow because my day is so shot and coming home to care for the kids with this headache is so hard..
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »

hey  7 piglets

unless  you  spend  plenty  of  time  in  the  toilet,  they  should  be  taking  some  fluid  off,with  the  headaches  sounds  like  your  drying  out,  keep  at  them  , tell  them  your  not  happy,  your  dry  weight  can  be  a  bit  hit  and  miss  till  you  get  it  where  you  happy.
keep  at  them  till  you  get  what  you  want. :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

I would look at your sodium intake and the conductivity settings on the machine - I get wicked headaches sometimes when I run on the K machines at a unit by my Mom's house. I know it is the settings because I don't get them when I dialyze on any other machine. I have found that changing the conductivity - mostly by changing the sodium helps a lot. The K machines have all sorts of menus to change different settings - I'm not very familiar with them, I only dialyze on the K's in Evanston once ever year or two. Something about the conductivity is off with these Ks but I don't know how to make the change - I would prefer my conductivity to be around 14.2 usually the conductivity is 13.5 - 13.7.

I generally eat a low sodium diet but when I travel it can get out of whack, for instance when I am visiting my mom.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
napala turki

Have to plan for living

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »

Hi 7 piglets,

What is your pump flowrate?

On my case previously the pump was set to 350 ml/min, and on the 3 event (Friday) I mostly will be weak, a leg, stomach and neck cramp.

Now I request to change the flowrate style: Monday 350 ml/min, Wednesday 280 ml/min and Friday 250 ml/min.... it has improve alot on my energy and less cramps too.

good luck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »