I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 05:34:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Chronic Kidney Disease Growing Globally
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chronic Kidney Disease Growing Globally  (Read 1625 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 01, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »

Chronic Kidney Disease Growing Globally

Thursday, June 26, 2008; 12:00 AM

THURSDAY, June 26 (HealthDay News) -- The already high worldwide rate of chronic kidney disease (CKD) is increasing, and the fact it raises a person's risk of death should make the disease a public health priority, say Taiwanese researchers.

They analyzed data on 462,293 people in Taiwan over age 20 who took part in a standard medical screening program in 1994. The participants were observed for 13 years, with a median follow-up of 7.5 years.

The 56,777 (12 percent) people with CKD were 83 percent more likely to die from all causes and twice as likely to die from cardiovascular causes than those without CKD, the study found. Almost 40 percent of deaths in the CKD group occurred before age 65.

Of the deaths in the entire study group, 10.3 percent were attributable to CKD, but this figure increased to 17.5 percent among people with low socioeconomic status. The rate of CKD was higher among people with low socioeconomic status (19.8 percent) than among those with high socioeconomic status. Of those with CKD, only 3.54 percent were aware of their condition. In the United States, that figure is 10 percent.

Interestingly, the researchers also found that people who regularly used Chinese herbal medicines had a 20 percent increased risk of developing CKD.

The number of people in the study affected by CKD was several times more than that for diabetes, and more than half the number affected by high blood pressure.

The study was published in this week's issue ofThe Lancet.

Under diagnosis and under treatment of CKD is a worldwide issue, the researchers said.

"The high prevalence and its associated all-cause mortality, especially in people with low socioeconomic status, make reduction of CKD a public health priority. Promotion of its recognition through the general public knowing their GFR [glomerular filtration rate] and testing their urine is crucial to reduce premature deaths from all causes and to attenuate this global epidemic," the study authors concluded.

More information

The National Kidney Foundation has more about chronic kidney disease.

SOURCE:The Lancet, news release, June 27, 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/26/AR2008062603309.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:08:27 PM »

Karol, It must take a lot of your time to find and post these articles, but I have to say a big thank you!  I know someone who has PKD and I know he uses alternative medicine - including Chinese herbs.  I hope he will do some investigating based on the research reported in this story.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 08:10:12 AM by pelagia » Logged

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »

Interestingly, the researchers also found that people who regularly used Chinese herbal medicines had a 20 percent increased risk of developing CKD.

Just goes to show that just because it's natural and herbal doesn't mean it works or is even safe.
Caveat emptor.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:56 AM »

All epidemiological correlations are potentially misleading, since they can be just coincidences rather than cases of cause and effect.  Thus in this case, it could well be that the worse medical outcomes for people taking Chinese herbal medicines arise from the fact that only sick people are bothering to take such medicines in the first place, not because these herbal medicines are causing the worse medical outcomes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »