I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 02:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Almost on the list
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Almost on the list  (Read 2260 times)
Brightsky69

« on: June 20, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »

Hi All -

I haven't posted in awhile. Work has me busy and I enrolled in school again. Anyway....I meet with my doc on the 27th then after that I should become active on the transplant list. I pray by some miracle I will get called for a transplant right before I have to go back on dialysis. So I can avoid going back on dialysis altogether. My doctors would love not to have to put me on dialysis. But I would probably have a better change of winning the lottery then having that happen. I am O+ and the wait for me is about 5 to 7 years. At least that is what they tell me. And I doubt my transplant will last that long. It's a little over 17 years old now.
I try to look on the bright side. The first time on dialysis I was really, really sick. This time around we all know whats happening, I am relatively healthy and I'll know what to expect.
In the meantime I am going to keep on trucking and living life.   :bandance;

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:55 PM »

Wow!  17 years with this transplant!!!  I am 2 weeks 1 day post transplant  :2thumbsup; and I hope and pray that mine will last as long!  Words of advice on how you made it last that long?

Okay, sorry, back to you!  Welcome back!  I will put you in my prayers for a speedy transplant.  I am A+ and was verrrrrrrry lucky to have a lifelong friend donate to me.  I know the wait can be long for O+, but like you said.... you are more prepared for the whole process so that is a good thing.  Please keep us informed of your progress....   :cuddle;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Brightsky69

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »

I think one thing that may have helped this transplant last so long was that it came from my mom. The surgeon that did the transplant said he had never seen a match so perfect in his entire career. I also was a "good patient" I never missed a appointment with my doc. Always did my lab work and took my docs advice. I think I got lucky too with an excellent nephrologist. He always takes the time to talk to me, answer my questions and include me in on my own treatment. He'll ask me what I wanna do and how I want to handle things. Sometimes I would look at him like " aren't you the doctor here...should you be telling me."   ;D   Seriously...he does want me to be very involved in my own care.  Man!! I don't know what i am gonna do if he ever retires. I hope it's not anytime soon.     ;D

Congratulation's on your transplant and cheers to your friend for donating. I certainly hope your transplant (and everyone else's) last 17 years and then some.

donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »

My donor and I were a 3 out of 6 match.  Her little kidney is kicken strong.  I just got back home and have to make an appointment with my nephrologist on Monday.  I have to say, I am blessed as well with an excellent nephrologist!  His wife had a transplant 10 years ago. 

Here is to you getting on the transplant list soon ....   :yahoo;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Brightsky69

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

Thanks Donnia and heres to your transplant lasting for years and years to come.   :beer1;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »

It's so hard when a beloved transplant fails.  Mine lasted 23+ years (cadaver kidney) but now I'm back on dialysis.  Was feeling wretched but since starting D again I feel pretty good again.  Donnia, I hope your trx lasts a super super long time and Brightsky, I hope you get the call much sooner rather than later.

Hugs to both of you. :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Brightsky69

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 06:18:59 PM »

:yahoo; Wow 23 years! That is excellent. Momrein I hope you get another transplant also. And it lasts much longer than 23 years. 

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:20:42 PM »

I hope that you don't have to wait so long for a transplant. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 07:22:54 AM »

The average life expectancy of a kidney transplant from a living related donor is 24 years.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »