I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Cruisin' for Dialysis ready to rev engines
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cruisin' for Dialysis ready to rev engines  (Read 1396 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 31, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »

Article published May 30, 2008
EVENTS

Cruisin' for Dialysis ready to rev engines

Annual event benefits kidney support group
By BRENDA J. DONEGAN

The Marion Star

MARION - Get out the polishing cloths, shine up that old classic car and head to downtown Marion for the 16th Annual Cruisin' for Dialysis on June 7.

The Cruisin' for Dialysis event is the main fundraiser for the Kidney Dialysis Support Group that serves Marion and the surrounding counties. The support group helps to provide for medical needs and other related necessities.

"This group doesn't really get national attention and, with 150 patients (locally), the money we raise really doesn't last long," said Cruisin' organizer Donna Gohring, who said the goal they hope to achieve each year is to raise about $10,000. "We take care of Marion and Bucyrus centers."

Gohring has taken over the leadership from Jennetta Martin who has organized the event for several years. Martin opted out this year to support her husband in his hobby of racing cars.

The Cruisin' is held rain or shine. There are no refunds and no alcohol permitted. All traffic laws must be obeyed. Opening ceremonies will be held at noon.

Registration is 1-3 p.m. June 7 at City Hall.

Gohring said more than 420 cars, trucks and motorcycles are expected to participate. While the event is not a judged show, there are plenty of prizes to go around for the sponsor's favorites. Around 80 sponsor awards are given out and there will be a raffle drawing for a 42-inch plasma television donated by Showplace of Marion.

around for the sponsor's favorites. Around 80 sponsor awards are given out and there will be a raffle drawing for a 42-inch plasma television donated by Showplace of Marion.

In addition to seeing these classics in action touring around the downtown, a tradition called "shoot the loop," visitors will be treated to a few new features. There will be a Kiddie Land setup by Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Marion County with face painting and different games for kids, a graphics artist will be there to airbrush your favorite car on a shirt, and crafters will set up their wares for display and for onlookers to purchase.

"Hopefully, we'll have plenty of cars and some sunshine," Gohring said, alluding to the bad weather last year.

The dialysis support group, Gohring said, strive to remember all patients on dialysis with small gifts at the holidays and other special occasions. For Easter, the most recent holiday, we filled a coffee mug with sugar-free candy or other snacks such as nutrition bars or power bars.

"It's not a lot but the patients are so appreciative," she said.

Richard Sharp takes dialysis three times a week. He is one patient appreciative of the efforts of the Kidney Dialysis Support Group, said his daughter, Karen Herr.

"The Kidney Dialysis Support Group provides both comfort items to all patients ... blankets, activity books, protein bars, head phones for the television sets, etc. ... as well as necessities for other patients," Herr said. "They help with some medical costs, maybe transportation fees, and for one patient I know, they purchased a pair of glasses he desperately needed. The nursing staff at the dialysis facility is great at creating a family-like atmosphere, but for patients who must be connected to a machine for three - four hours per day, three days per week, the little extras provided by the Kidney Dialysis Support Group mean so much ... and the assistance with medications or necessities can help take the worry out of an already stressful aspect of the patient's life."

Herr also stressed her appreciation knowing that all funds raised at the event stay locally and help local patients, when needed, if possible.

In addition, Gohring said the support group provides transportation for a patient who has no other way to get to dialysis and helps with utility bills and other needs, when funds are available.

"We had a patient that needed to be admitted to Riverside Hospital," Gohring said.

"The family didn't have the money to buy gas to get there. We bought them gas cards. He ... unfortunately didn't make it, but the family sent a thank you card. That means so much to us."

They also give each patient a fleece blanket to use while on dialysis. The lion's share of their available cash goes to purchase Boost Plus, protein bars and blankets for patients, Gohring added.

Chuck Gregory became involved about eight years ago after he was invited to do a karaoke show.

"I went in and did the show," he said. "We left town right after the show to go south. While I was gone, they had called and left a message on my answering machine asking me to be the emcee. I did and have been doing it ever since."

But more importantly, Gregory said he has remained involved because it is a project he believes in and finds worthy of his time and energy.

"It's a fabulous cause," he said. "I have gotten more and more involved. When I see how much good they do, there's good satisfaction - they really care."

Brenda Donegan 740-375-5150 or bdonegan@marionstar.com

http://www.centralohio.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/BE/20080530/NEWS01/805310316/1002

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »