I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The experience of living kidney donors: Disenfranchised grief before, during,
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The experience of living kidney donors: Disenfranchised grief before, during,  (Read 6705 times)
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 10:32:39 PM »

Sisterdonor,
    The treatment you had was unfair and inhumane. How could they have overlooked your needs in the very minutes post-surgery where your needs were most critical?
I'll bet you've had to keep much of your experiences to yourself so as not to worry loved one's around you. How brave you are. I hope things are well for you now
physically. And maybe if you can finally own up to your anger to a few people around you, your depression will subside, if it hasn't already. It might be worth writing
a letter to the transplant center and the doctors where the surgery took place. In letting them know what happened, maybe you can bring about change and save pain for others.
Should I ever have a living donor, I would hate for them to incur any additional and unneeded pain. I would hate for them to feel like a lab rat. The thought truly makes me cringe.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 11:46:39 PM »

sister, thats horrible. It seems you suffered in one day, in those few hours all the troubles that i have gone through in 14 years of having a kidney and all the test, news, botched exams, side effects etc.....
that has led me to have little faith in hospital's nurse and Doctors.

Its really disheartening to come to that realization. Your pain was so immense that im not surprised you were depressed.
Its tough when your not treated with respect. You do really feel it at your core.
Neglect like that makes you feel worthless and angry at the same time.
At a time that you were giving wholeheartedly too.

Please write them like Sunny suggested so no one will ever have to go through what you did.
 :grouphug;

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »

Sisterdonor:  Freud's whole point is that because the conscious mind of the person experiencing the anger cannot accept that that is what it is feeling toward the person or the situation outside of him, he seeks to disguise it from his consciousness by transforming it into a socially more acceptable form, i.e., the inner directed anger which manifests as depression.  So when you so forcefully insist that you could not have been experiencing outer-directed anger, you are fitting into the pattern outlined by Freud, i.e., you cannot consciously accept the reality, which you have had to transform from anger into depression.
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »

I'm not real into Freud. His ideas are kind of outdated, don't ya think?  :P

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Many of Freud's ideas are outdated now.
However, he is the Father of modern psychology and many of his ideas are foundations for what we have today. We had to start somewhere!
His theories regarding the mechanisms of the subconscious on the conscious mind are probably his greatest contribution to modern psychology.
Anyone who discounts the effects of the subconscious mind on their daily lives does so at their own peril.
Ignorance can be bliss, but your subconscious mind is always at work, wether you like it or not.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
sisterdonor

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »

Sisterdonor:  Freud's whole point is that because the conscious mind of the person experiencing the anger cannot accept that that is what it is feeling toward the person or the situation outside of him, he seeks to disguise it from his consciousness by transforming it into a socially more acceptable form, i.e., the inner directed anger which manifests as depression.  So when you so forcefully insist that you could not have been experiencing outer-directed anger, you are fitting into the pattern outlined by Freud, i.e., you cannot consciously accept the reality, which you have had to transform from anger into depression.

Believe what you will, stauf.  I think many of Freud's theories, including this one, are balderdash.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »