I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  FEET,LEGS,AND HANDS ARE NUMB.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FEET,LEGS,AND HANDS ARE NUMB.  (Read 3020 times)
steve lowry

« on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:44 AM »

Two weeks ago my feet,legs and hands went numb on me,it feels like they fell asleep,pins and neddles.24/7 At night it turns into a burning pain.I am not diabetic.I went to a neurologist and he gave me a amg electric nerve test.He said I have peripheral neuropathy nerve damage caused from kinney failure.Has anyone else here have this happen to them?If so what did you do about it?I have been on dialysis for 3 months,hemo with a chest catherder.

EDITED:  Moved post to proper thread - Goofynina/Moderator
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 08:36:34 AM by goofynina » Logged

Steve Lowry
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »

I began experiencing peripheral neuropathy in my legs and feet just before I began dialysis back in 1982.  When I was at home and on the floor exercising, I couldn't just stand up after finishing.  I would have to drag myself to a chair and pull myself up.  When I was outside walking, it was difficult for me step up onto the sidewalk after crossing the street.  I would have to walk to a nearby lamppost so I could grab on to it and give myself a boost up.

After many months, the neuropathy slowly started to recede and I began to regain my general strength.

Make sure you are on a good filter which removes the middle molecules (thought to be the cause of some neuropathies), and that you do a good amount of time (perhaps between 4 - 4.5 hours) on the machine per treatment.  Ask you doctor about both.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

Zach, you are SO DAMN INFORMATIVE!!  :2thumbsup;  I just love to read your posts, i learn so much when i do  :clap;   Keep on posting amigo  :thx;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 02:03:11 AM »

How can you prevent peripheral neuropathy??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
John S.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »

How can you prevent peripheral neuropathy??

Well Angie, i think the only way to prevent periphral neuropathy is to have 2 normal functioning kidneys. Much of the numbness of dialysis people is just simply caused by toxins hanging around that are not filtered out by kidney dialysis. Even if you are getting the most unreal dialysis with an 86% urr and 3.0 k t/v, your still only getting about 15% of normal kidney function.

john
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:58:09 PM »

There is an over-the-counter drug, developed in Japan and available for decades in Germany as an over-the-counter medication for alcoholic neuritis, which can improve nerve conduction velocities and even prevent nerve damage.  Some people who have tried it claim that it stops the pain of peripheral neuropathy if a large enough dose is taken (around 800 mg/day).  The drug, benfotiamine, is now sold by some on-line pharmacies in the United States.  There has been recent scientific interest in it because of research during the last few years showing that it also prevents progress of the complications of diabetes. As usual, the ultra-convervative FDA, supported by the American Medical Association, whose only goal is that medicine never advance so its doctors will be spared the trouble of learning how to apply new treatments and will be able to maintain their current position of power, which is based on mastery of medicine as it was when its members went to medical school, is doing everything possible to keep the drug away from American patients, even though it has been used with NO reported side-effects in Germany without a prescription requirement for a good 20 years now.

There is also an exercise device called the "Rebuilder" which some people swear helps them overcome neuropathy.  I have never seen it, but it costs around $250 and is sold at various internet sites.

Finally there are magnetic insoles for your shoes, which many patients claim stop neuropathic pain within minutes of wearing them.  Since they cost very little and can be obtained from many internet sites, it can't hurt to try them.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »

Do magnetic bracelets help?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
G

Let's go steal some pic-nic baskets Boo-Boo

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 06:02:10 PM »

I have not felt my feet in two years. Every once in a while I will get a weired (phantom) feeling in them. For instance: one night while getting in bed, after taking my sock off, I put my foot to the floor and felt something squish between my toes. We have small dogs and I thought the worst! I very slowly felt my toes with my fingers. And what did I find?.....nothing! It was just another phantom feeling. Thank goodness! I knew our dogs were potty trained, however, the feeling was so real. Is there something you can do??? Don't know, don't think so.

No kidneys
No spleen
No parathyroid
On list as of 10/07
Still fun
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »