I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Woman waits for second kidney transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman waits for second kidney transplant  (Read 1224 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 06, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

Woman waits for second kidney transplant

By Cynthia Beaudette of the Muscatine Journal

MUSCATINE, Iowa — Jenny Bahn-Schreurs was 13 years old when she received a lifesaving gift from her mother, Ann Bahn.

After years of watching her child battle focal glomerulosclerosis, a disease that causes scarring of the kidneys, Bahn, of Muscatine, donated one of her own kidneys to her child on Dec. 30, 1992.

Last year,  Schreurs, 27, learned that kidney is failing and she will need another transplant.

According to the National Kidney Federation, the average lifespan of a transplanted kidney is eight years for a cadaveric kidney, and about 11 years for a living related transplant. The average for a living unrelated transplant is somewhere between the two.

Eight people, including Schreurs’ husband, Chad Schreurs, and her long-time, best friend, former Muscatine resident Melissa Jones-Everett, have offered to give Jenny a kidney.

“It was nice to have that many people come forward without having anyone ask them,” said Bahn.

Chad, a lead man at central region distribution at the HON Co., was disappointed when medical tests revealed he wasn’t a close enough match to be a donor.

“I wanted badly to be the one,” he said.

Jones-Everett said she will be disappointed if she can’t be a donor. Schreurs said it will be several weeks before Jones-Everett’s test results are complete.

“I think it’s possible that’s why God made us meet in the first place,” said Jones-Everett, who graduated from Muscatine High School with Schreurs in 1998.

Jones-Everett said her husband, Adam Everett, also a 1998 MHS graduate, is concerned.

“He’s a doctor,” she said. “He thinks logically and he’s worried, but I’m thinking with my heart.”

The Everetts have two young children and live in Georgia.

“Jenny and I have have been so far apart,” said Jones-Everett, 26. “This is one way we can be close.”

Jenny is also on the National Donor Registry. She received one call for a potential donor kidney, but tests proved it wasn’t a match.

As Jenny waits for a transplant, her friends and family are planning a benefit to help with   medical and travel expenses that Jenny and her donor will incur.

Jenny plans to have the transplant at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. She will need to live near the clinic for follow-up treatment for up to six weeks following the transplant. Her living expenses won’t be covered by insurance.

Her donor will need to make at least two trips to Mayo Clinic  for tests and surgery.

Carol Schinker, a member of Ss. Mary and Mathias Parish, said a spaghetti supper will be held at the church Saturday, Feb. 17.

The Catholic Daughters will make desserts and serve the dinner, said Schinker, who is also a member of that group.

Jim Weigand, chancellor of the Muscatine Knights of Columbus, and his group will provide spaghetti and salad, Schinker said.

An account titled Jacksons for Jenny has been set up at First National Bank in Muscatine to help collect funds for the transplant expenses.

Jenny said she hasn’t been given a deadline for having the transplant. She was anemic for awhile, but responded well to treatment for that condition.

She feels well enough to work as a sales associate at J.C. Penney at the Muscatine Mall.

Bahn said her daughter produces a high level of antibodies, which makes her body more likely to reject a donor kidney.

Jenny said two surgeons at Mayo have created a treatment that can help people with her condition be less likely to reject a donated organ.

Jenny and Chad share their home with three lively dogs, Bear, Rusty and Abby, and a cat named Spitz.

Though the couple doesn’t have any children together, Chad has a son, Hunter Alan Schreurs, 10, who lives in Arkansas and visits throughout the year. The couple hopes to add children to their family.

“The doctors say I would have to wait two years after my transplant,” said Jenny, who knows other women that became pregnant after having an organ transplant.

When Chad married Jenny nearly three years ago, he knew  her kidney condition would be part of their future.

“I was expecting this would happen, but I’m worried,” he said, as his eyes filled with tears.

But his concerns never led to second thoughts.

“Not at all,” he said. “I just want her to get through this.”

Contact Cynthia Beaudette at 563-263-2331 ext. 323 or cynthia.beaudette@muscatinejournal.com

Details

Fundraiser

What: A spaghetti supper fundraiser to provide financial help for Jenny Schreurs of Muscatine, who is awaiting a second kidney transplant.

Where: Gannon Hall at St. Mathias Church, 215 W. Eighth St. St. Mathias church is part of the Ss. Mary and Mathias Parish in Muscatine.

When: 5:30-8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 17.

Details: The dinner includes spaghetti, salad and dessert. Extra desserts will be sold whole and proceeds will be added to the fundraiser total.

Cost: A freewill offering will be taken.

Jacksons for Jenny

What: Jacksons for Jenny is an ongoing fundraising account set up to help Muscatine resident Jenny Schreurs pay the medical and travel  expenses for her upcoming kidney transplant. Funds will also be used to help the kidney donor.

Where: First National Bank of Muscatine and its locations:

Main bank — 300 E. Second St.,  Muscatine, 263-4221

Oakview — 3107 N. Highway 61 (next to Wal-Mart), 262-4218

Superstore — Inside Wal-Mart, 262-5428

Westside — 2017 Cedar St., 263-2800

Mississippi Office — Corner of Mississippi Drive and Cedar Street streets, 262-4217

Southside — 608 Grandview Ave., 262-4219

How to donate: Donations can be mailed or brought to the First National Bank or any of the bank’s branches. Donations can be marked to the attention of Bryan Fessler vice-president/personal banking manager, First National Bank.

Transplant support group

What: A support group for people who are waiting for or who have had had an organ transplant and those who are waiting to donate or have donated an organ, as well as their friends and families.

When: The group meets at 7 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month.

Where: Muscatine Community College.

Contact: Jon Kiser 263-0905 or e-mail jkiser@machlink.com or Kim Burdakin, 262-8189 or kdburd@machlink.com

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »