I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Bursitis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bursitis?  (Read 8387 times)
paris
Member for Life

« on: April 18, 2008, 01:46:34 PM »

Anyone have any experience with bursitis?  I have had hip problems for a couple of years, but recently it is causing me not to want to walk, climb stairs, etc.  My GP feels sure it is bursitis and is sending me to an Orthopaedic surgeon to get Cordisone shots.  I have been focusing on the kidney issue so much and kind of put my hip on the back burner, but I want to move again without so much pain.   It is constant and makes sleeping even more of a problem.   Any info would be appreciated.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »

I have it sometimes in my shoulder from an old football injury. I use Aspercream and it does a great job for me.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »

OUCH! Bursitis hurts so much! I had it once when we were traveling and I couldn't walk far or sleep on that hip. I took NSAIDS which is not a good idea for you, I'm afraid. The cortisone shots should give you some instant relief. If your bursitis is caused by an infection, you'll need to take antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon. Oh by the way, I read that sometimes bursitis is related to gout, so be sure they check that out.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:57:21 PM »

No info but sending you :cuddle; :cuddle;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »

Thanks Okarol,  I just read somethng about gout being a contributor.  Since I had that big problem with gout a few months ago, I wonder if that isn't the trigger.  I do take allopurinol for gout, but I bet this is the underlying cause.  I have a high treshold of pain, but this is changing my day to day life.   The ortho guy will take xrays to make sure nothing else is going on.  I've been told that a series of cortisone shots should help.  Can't get in until May 1st because we are leaving town for a week.  Driving to Ohio,Indiana and back to NC should be lots of fun!  I'll keep Tylenol with me and take Ambien at night. :2thumbsup;  

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:11:55 PM »

My bouts with gout recently were some of the most painful things I've ever experienced and it was just a toe.  Sheer agony.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »

Paris, if you're in Wooster Ohio stop and see Jenna's donor. She is such a cool lady!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »

I grew up near Wooster and drove through it to go to my grandparents.   Isn't it a small world?

Monrein,  No one can tell you how much gout hurts intill you experience it.  It feels like you bones are shattered; unbelievable pain.  Is yours better?  Hopefully!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:09:53 PM »

Yes, thank you Paris.  I've only ever had it twice.  Once for about a week and I was in hospital at the time.  This young beautiful female doctor came in and squeezed my toe not too hard but under the circumstances, I almost decked her in the mouth.  I think every nerve in my body felt something.   Then again for about three days.  Both times, we treated it with an extra 5 mg of prednisone for one week then tapered back to the 5mg that I take daily.  The docs said that if I kept getting the bouts of gout (sounds positively poetic) I'd have to take Allopurinol.  I'm happy to have avoided that so far just because I always hate to add another long term med. to the already scary cocktail.
But as we speak, all my piggies are pain-free and enjoying the first pedicures of spring.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 05:09:54 AM »

Yes gout hurts I used to get it all the time in my large toe. Bursitis in my knees. I hope you get some relief soon Paris.
rookiegirl

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16:48 AM »

Not me, but my husband had it in his shoulder from carrying our youngest daughter when she was a baby.  The doctor told him to take Aleve for the pain.  It worked back then.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:48 PM »

I also have trouble with gout in my big toes sometimes.Very painful!
Gout is caused by uric acid build-up. My renal doctor has informed me my diminished kidney function can create gout issues when I'm not
careful about what I'm ingesting (i.e, too much protein, red wine, cheese,etc.).
Maybe consider what you have been eating and see if making changes helps.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 07:46:47 PM »

I take allopurinal for gout daily.   This hip thing is different, but could be triggered by underlying gout issues. I just want it to stop hurting.  I find I am in a bad mood and then I realize it is because I am in pain.   Can't take Aleve or any thing for inflamation.  And tylenol doesn't even take the edge off.  I see the ortho guy on May 1st--can't wait.   In the meantime, I will be riding in a car for days.  Fun!   

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 03:24:23 PM »

Paris, has the doc tested you to make sure that it's your hip and not your back?  May sound a bit odd, but about 6 years ago my hip was killing me and we were wondering if I needed a hip replacement from long term prednisone use.  Turned out that the pain was referring itself to my hip but the real problem was a disc in my lower back and a bone spur on a vertebra that was pressing on my sciatic nerve.  I had a laminectomy and they enlarged the foramen(sp?) and eventually things got resolved with time and physiotherapy exercises.  I sure hope you don't need anything like that but I totally could not believe how something in my back made my hip hurt so much.  It was a rheumatologist who saw me and while lying on my back she asked me to bend my knees and then let one leg at a time fall out to the side.  That caused no pain for me, so she said it wasn't the hip but the back and sent me to a different doc.  She was correct but at the time I thought she was nuts.
Hope you find out whatever it is and get some relief because it just wears you down that kind of constant pain.  Thinking of you.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:25 PM »

I had bursitis twice in my life - the second time being when I was studying in France. Both times it was in my shoulder.  It is a condition I would not on my greates enemy.  THE PAIN!!!  The thing is that many members of my family have a problem - pain medications don't seem to work as they do with other people.  Only the big guns like Demerol seem to work with me and doctors are very hesitant to proscibe these kinds.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »

After riding in a car for 10 hours yesterday, I can only say the pain is worse.  I don't ever complain about pain, but Lord help me--I am ready for some relief.  So, 8 hour dirve on Wednesday, then 10 hours next Monday and then I can see the ortho.   My sister has fibro and needs knee replacements, so we are quite a pair right now.  Thanks for your help. I knew I would get better answers here than anywhere else!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 09:14:29 PM »

One of the worst things is sitting for long periods of time, so you'll need to try to lie your seat back or stop more often Paris. Take care.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »

I saw the ortho doctor today.  It is bursitis.  Probably aggrevated by years of sitting on the floor teaching 4 year olds.  So, he gave me a cortisone shot and sending me to physical therapy, then back to him in a month.   At least I got an answer and course of action.  Thanks everyone for your posts.

Monrein, I thought about you while at the doctor.  He started explaining different hip area problems and said many times people think it is their hip but it is really their back!  Just like you told me!   Thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbup;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 01:36:23 PM »

Paris I'm so glad that at least you got an answer and a plan of treatment.  I'll be thinking about you and hope you find some relief.  For me the worst kind of pain is the kind that just never lets up even if it is not excruciating.  Makes me feel like I'm living on a grater just wearing me down.   :cuddle;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »

paris, did the doctor give you something else for the pain. It takes a while for the cortisone to take effect. They've got to give you something to help you get some rest. I feel for you, I have had 2 back surgeries and my hip is now giving me a fit. I bought a cane and I use it when I hurt so bad I think I am going to fall down. I'll be thinking of you and hope the cortisone kicks in fast for some relief.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »

Thanks W&W,  right now it is good because he also gave me a numbing agent, but in a few hours that will wear off.  Nothing else for pain--just stupid tylenol.   I feel like the leg is going to give out when I walk, so it will be good to start PT and help the muscles get stronger.  I walk with a limp and stairs are a killer.  But, I am grateful that we know what the problem is and it doesn't involve the bones or hip joint.   So, now I just want to get going and make it better!

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

It's nice to know you have answers. Hopefully physical therapy will work for you and things will get better.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

Had my first PT yesterday.  Was there about an hour and moved muscles in more directions than I knew was possible.  Also had ultrasound therapy.  Ok--today, I can't move!  Every muscle in my leg is screaming! Well, really, both legs. I have exercises to do today and I can barely walk!  Have 4 more PT's scheduled in the next two weeks. Because the problem has gone on so long, I need to retrain the muscles to do the right thing.  Then I see the ortho guy again. My goal is to walk well so I can visit AlohaBeth in June.  Love having goals and rewards!!

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »

Keep at it Paris - you will be walking well to visit Beth in June, you can do it  :cuddle;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »