I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 02:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question About Parathyroid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question About Parathyroid  (Read 1660 times)
karen547

« on: April 25, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »

Hi everyone- I have been busy with school and stuff so haven't been on as much. Anyways, I have seen a few posts about parathyroid removal, etc, and am wondering how it is determined when you need to have it removed? The doctors have me on Sensipar now to help bring down my levels. I am just curious as to know what determines the removal?

Thanks!
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »

The first time I heard that my parathyroid needed to be removed (I had already been on Sensipar for months and months) was when my doctor had the surgeon leave a message on my answering machine. Haha, I ignored them for a few months and tried to bring my PTH levels down with Sensipar, but it just didn't work for me. My PTH was over 2000 when I had the surgery in February. I'd talk to your doctor about this and see if he/she thinks the Sensipar is working.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »

Folks, a high pth level destroys your bones!!! If you are above 300, your pth is considered high for a dialysis patient. I believe that 300 is way beyond what is normal for a person with normally functioning kidneys. Yes, let them try sensipar for a while but not for too long. It can be effective, but in Rolando's case, its effectiveness was erratic as was his calcium level.

Again, your bones are at risk. The parathyroid puts out a hormone (pth) which extracts calcium from your bones sometimes in response to high phosphorus and sometimes because they are simply malfunctioning. The result of this is osteoporosis and it happens fast! The results can be devastating (can someone please provide a link to Epoman's posts about his broken hips?)

Rolando has osteoporosis and, perhaps as a result, a broken leg which is healing very slowly in the presence of this calcium-phosphorus-pth metabolism malfunction. He has just had his parathyroids removed. It should have been done a year ago!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »

To make matters worse, even if you escape dialysis with your bones intact, the massive prednisone dose usually used at the beginning of immunosuppression itself severely depletes your bone mass.  You can't win.
kevno

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »

Those parathyrod glands, suppose to be four in the thyroid, about the size of a grain of rice. My four the size of peas. They only found out about me when I broke both my knees. In the x-rays you could see through my hips the bone was so thin. The surgeons talked about putting metal plates in. Once again from me, Me and my big mouth. I said NO WAY! They remove 3 and three quarters of the parathyroids. Within two and a half years you could not see through the x-ray. The bone density had increased. Still took me four years in the hydro pool to walk again.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »