I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 07:22:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Emergency Surgery Thursday!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emergency Surgery Thursday!  (Read 7407 times)
Krisna

« on: April 20, 2008, 12:45:24 AM »

Wednesday evening I began having severe abdominal pain!  I had been ill and hadn't eaten anything yet that day.  I had dialysis and was feeling really bad.  Hubby had stayed home that day 'cause he was sick.  I was on the computer for a short time but then the pain started getting worse so I got off and laid down for a while.  Sent hubby to get me something to eat, thinking it was just hunger pain.  Tried to eat but the pain just got worse.  Abt 6 pm I told him I needed to go to the ER.  I could barely stand up by then.  he asked if I needed an ambulance but I didn't think I did.  he drove me to the hospital in Seattle.  By the time we got there he had to get me a wheel chair. 

Long story short...

After several hrs in the ER and puking twice in the ER waiting area and a CT scan that required me to drink that nasty contrast dye which didn't get circulated in my digestive tract...I was given pain killers and admitted.  Then after several more hrs and consults with the surgeons they determined that I had another obstruction in my bowel.  My Potassium level was extremely high again and I was dialyzed again on Thursday for abt 2 hrs then rushed into surgery.  It was determined that my small intestine had slipped through the hernia hole and was beginning to strangle again.  This was causing a blockage.  They were able to straighten things out without having to dig around too much. 

They took my drain tube out of my stomach today and said I could have clear liquids now.  The tube had been placed in my abdomen to suck the food out that was stuck inside me.  It wasn't getting through because of the obstruction.  The stuff I threw up was nasty!  Now that I've spent most of the day on clear liquids without getting nauseated my nurse is trying to get me switched to full liquids so I can get some pudding or ice cream.  I'm beginning to get hungry again so that's a good sign! 

So, now I may have to call and reschedule my appointment abt my back on next Tuesday!  That sucks because it took me a month to get in!  And I can't call them until Monday! 

My Potassium level is still high and they don't know why which means I could still have a leak in my small intestine somewhere.  I'm sure they'll do another CT with contrast before letting me go home!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »

Krisna  :cuddle; I'm so sorry. I hope that things start improving for you. My huband has been down this road with you and it truly does just suck. I'll be thinking and praying for you, and thank God you acted fast before that section of your bowel died off. Keep us posted, we really do care.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:49:24 AM »

Sorry you had such a bad experience, I hope you are doing better.  :grouphug;
annabanana

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:24:05 AM »

Hope you get better soon! :)

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »

Hi Krisna,
I am so sorry to hear what you've been through! I hope you feel better and they can figure out a solution to help you.  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »

:grouphug;
I hope your recovery is quick!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 03:21:16 PM »

WOW!  You had it rough!  Glad they got to it in time, though.  My caring thoughts and prayers are with you.  Please let us know how you are doing.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »

Wishing you a full and fast recovery.  You've been through enough.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

Get well and get out of that hospital soon.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »

hope  you  get  well  soon :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »

I hope you are feeling all better soon.
What luck that your husband was around to help.
Wishing you well.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Krisna

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 11:22:48 PM »

Thanks guys!  I'm glad I chose to go to the ER when I did!  I've already lost a large part of my small intestine from a similar thing.  Only difference was that it ruptured and I nearly lost my life!

They took away my pain pump and started me on solid foods today.  I'm still worried abt it though because they didn't dig around too much to look for a leak.  They didn't wanna make me any more sore than they had to.  I'm concerned that there may still be a leak or something.  My Potassium level has also been going up for no apparent reason.  This was happening while I was NPO and had the drain still in my stomach.  The doctor on duty today asked me if I had been eating something I wasn't supposed to.  Like it wouldn't have been sucked out by that drain???  I hate that particular doctor, he always treats me like a child!  Or at least that's how I feel.  I replied, "Of course not!  I've been a kidney patient for nearly 30 yrs, I don't think I'd have made it this long if I did things I wasn't supposed to do!"  He agreed, saying, "His patients who are non compliant don't live very long."  Then I told him that this happened before when my fistula developed a narrowing in it and I wasn't getting adequate dialysis.  So, I may have to get a fistula-gram done to check my fistula out!  I told him that the pressures and labs all looked good with it last time even though my Potassium level shot up back then too! 

I need to have a bowl movement before they will let me go home.  And they need to find out why my Potassium is going up so high even though I haven't been eating much if any Potassium. 

Thanks again! 

I got a pretty good view of the snow storm that came through Seattle a couple days ago.  There were snow flakes abt 2 inches round and falling fast!  They were huge and falling fast!  Then they slowed down for a while and the flakes got slightly smaller.  I can't believe it's snowing in April! 

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »

Krisna, I hope your doing better today.  :cuddle; Your doctors need to take a close look at the medications they are giving you. So many of them cause high Potassium in the blood. I hope they find the cause of this fast. Snowing, say it isn't so. The weather all over the country has just been crazy. Please keep us posted and I'll pray you get to go home soon. :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 07:45:25 PM »

Krisna, I hope you are feeling better and will get to go home soon.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Krisna

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 09:46:34 PM »

They were trying to send me home today but I refused!  The surgeon didn't thoughoughly examine my bowel.  He didn't want to spend 2 more hrs. cutting through all the scar tissue to see if there was a leak on the other side.  The pain meds they had me on last tnight didn't work so they had to hook the pump back up.  Now they are trying me on some different ones.  I am on 3 different ones now!  I really hope they work 'cause I do wanna go home.  I am worried abt going home though because the surgeon didn't take the time to make sure there isn't any leakage on the backside of my bowel. 

So, I appreciate all the prayers and well wishes!  Please, keep it up!  I will keep you all posted!  I need to get off the computer and take a nap!  I keep dozing off and then wind up with rows of the letters, "k" and "f".  A few minutes ago it looked like ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

So, I will sign off for now!   :rofl;

Hickman
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »

Krisna you are in my thoughts, hope you will soon be fully recovered. :grouphug; :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:19 PM »

:boxing; I like your spirit girl! Don't let them hush your concerns!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »

Yes, girl, we are still holding on there with you, in our caring thoughts and prayers.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »

You can borrow the big stick to take out after the surgeon if you want to.  I wish you a quick recovery.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Krisna

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »

I'm going home today!  Or should I say this afternoon.  Have to wait for hubby to get off work!

I am going to see my doctor in a week or two and the surgeon in abt a week to get the staples removed.  I'll be diligent abt keeping a watch over things though!  I really don't like this surgeon though.  And I really hated the nurse from last night! 

The whole medical field is on my list at this point in my life.  But especially the ones at this hospital!  I'm so close to firing them all and moving on to a different hospital but I'm afraid it'll be worse.  Which is what happened when I did that 10 yrs ago! 

So, I'll think abt it and research local doctors and hospitals!

Hickman
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 06:03:24 AM »

Thanks for your update!  Hope everything works out well for you.  Our caring thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »