I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 03:16:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone feel weepy because of Hemo?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone feel weepy because of Hemo?  (Read 3704 times)
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« on: April 03, 2008, 09:58:52 PM »

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem like mine. I often get weepy for no reason. I find it's usually when I am crampy or after I have crashed at hemo.  I never did this before I started hemo dialysis.
 :thx; Mikey

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »

Mikey, my Dad has become very emotional, we thought it was just age and tiredness but maybe it is another side effect.  He gets weepy if anyone does or says anything nice to him.  Mum & I have got used to it, but it can be a bit startling for anyone else, we just laugh it off (kindly I must add) and make a joke of it as there's nothing that can be done to stop it.  If he's not weepy he's itchy poor soul.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

I dont really think you are weepy as a result of Hemo , more because of the roller coaster ride your body is on . We all get weepy , possibly depressed from time to time !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
keefer51

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:45:18 AM »

Yes i became weepy once i started back on dialysis. I think the loss of my transplant really started it. I try and avoid watching "Field of Dreams"

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Earlinda

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:40:22 AM »

Mikey, my Dad has become very emotional, we thought it was just age and tiredness but maybe it is another side effect.  He gets weepy if anyone does or says anything nice to him.  Mum & I have got used to it, but it can be a bit startling for anyone else, we just laugh it off (kindly I must add) and make a joke of it as there's nothing that can be done to stop it.  If he's not weepy he's itchy poor soul.

Has anyone every spoken to your father about the medication Zoloft?  My father would get weepy and cry if anyone did anything nice for him, while watching television shows, ect.  It wasn't just tears it was sobbing.  It was heartbreaking for us because he could not control his emotions.  His doctor prescribed Zoloft and the weepiness completely stopped.  It was almost the opposite for him and when emotional happenings would occur he would be dry eyed.  Maybe it is worth looking into.

Earlinda
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »

Thanks Earlinda, no-one has mentioned that medication, I haven't heard of it before but will check it out, sounds promising. Thanks for taking the time to tell me.
Rose . :bunny:
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29:49 AM »

Patients who have suffered a stroke often find that it transforms them from being reserved, stoical, self-controlled individuals into people who become very emotional, weepy, and sentimental in response even to the smallest stimuli. 

Males on dialysis experience great disturbances in their hormone balance, since the toxins accumulating in the bloodstream damage the pituitary gland, which in turn causes it to fail to send the necessary signals to the testes to produce male hormone.  The result is that males suddenly have a higher ratio of female-to-male hormone in their body, and this may induce the associated female social responses.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »

When my world is disrupted I am emotional often.  I'm usually such a strong person.  When my transplant was failing my boss finally went and bought a box of Kleenex for his office.

It is okay to get weepy.  Tears are for what words can no longer say.  It is an emotional release.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »

I just got off dialysis and came home and I am so weepy.....I do this alot, however, no one knows.
I take prozac and it does not help, I think it is the things that go on at dialysis.
It's this dailysis lifestyle, seems to be neverending.
I think you are normal for being weepy.
we have a hard life
Please feel better.
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »

I just wanted to say Thanks to everyone who posted responses. I feel better knowing this is "normal" and that I am not the only one experiencing this.

Mikey  :thx;

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52:29 AM »

Between the hormone changes, the side effects from meds, the overall stress and loss of control of your own life that goes with dialysis - I think we're entitled to be a bit weepy!

Seriously, I do cry more at stupid things these days.  I just figured it was a stress response.  Maybe it does have something to do with the hormones as well. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »

I've never had that feeling. I'm usually happy because it's over with. I have seen a few patients who weep all the time they are hooked up

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
BobT1939

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »

He's a Vulcan, no doubt about it./bobt

BobT
Russ

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 02:29:04 PM »

I've never told this to anyone, not even my wife.  My son plays percussion in several outstanding bands at his school and whenever I hear a particularly well-played song, the kind that gives you chills and makes you want to applaud, I tear up.  It's sudden and uncontrollable.  What's up with that?  Now I'm doing it with anybody's music and it doesn't have to be my son's band.

I think it was happening even before I started hemo.

<clears my throat in a manly way>
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »

Well move over weepy section, I was believe it or not going to start a new message.........  "I can't stop crying"....

At least I don't feel like I am losing my mind now   :shy;

http://www.kimhoben.com
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

It must be something in the water...Marvin is never weepy, but I (the caregiver) have become much more emotional (tears at things that really "touch" me) since he's been on dialysis.  Does it count if the spouse is weepy?
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »

It's perfectly okay for the spouse to weep. Especially when she has the same motto that I do.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 04:27:38 PM »

Mikey, You are not alone.  :cuddle; Len was emotional when he was on dialysis, not as bad since transplant (some days), me on the other hand, have been a basket case since 2001 when he first became ill. I was so emotional when they called about his new kidney, one of his doctors offered to give me something to calm me down. I'm better now, but still cry pretty easily and seem to look at the world differently. Maybe I've gone  :urcrazy;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »

willieandwinnie, if you've gone  :urcrazy; from all of this, you're in good company.  Sometimes, I think I'm on the brink! 

Thank you, flip, for including me!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:47:22 PM »

Emotional basket case over here!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »

Patients who have suffered a stroke often find that it transforms them from being reserved, stoical, self-controlled individuals into people who become very emotional, weepy, and sentimental in response even to the smallest stimuli. 

It's funny you should say that because my Dad was so ill at the start of this and he was talking rubbish, hallucinating etc.  I did say that I wondered if he'd had a slight stroke but it was never checked out because kidney failure, an aneurysm and other problems all came to light at once.  Your description above fits him to a T.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »