I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 12:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Vitamin D Can Help Most Dialysis Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vitamin D Can Help Most Dialysis Patients  (Read 1531 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

Vitamin D Can Help Most Dialysis Patients

International News Network, Pakistan - Mar 25, 2008

ISLAMABAD: Vitamin D injections can greatly improve survival for most kidney failure patients on dialysis, according to a new study.

Currently, vitamin D injections are recommended only for dialysis patients with elevated levels of parathyroid hormone -- which represents about 50 percent of kidney failure patients. But this Massachusetts General Hospital study found that vitamin D injections may help extend the lives of most kidney dialysis patients.

"We’ve been administering vitamin D injections for decades, but the potential benefit on survival has never been studied. This finding was a surprise and should force us to think more broadly about who should be treated," study senior author Dr. Ravi Thadhani, director of clinical research in MGH nephrology, said in a prepared statement.

Reporting in the April issue of the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, Thadhani’s team analyzed data on more than 50,000 U.S. kidney patients who began dialysis between 1996 and 1999 and were tracked until 2002. More than 37,000 of the patients in the study received vitamin D injections.

At the end of the two-year study, 76 percent of the patients receiving vitamin D injections were still alive, compared with 59 percent of patients who didn’t receive vitamin D. That difference was evident across all categories of patients, the researchers said. Even kidney dialysis patients with elevated calcium and phosphorous levels -- which often lead to discontinuation of treatment with vitamin D -- lived longer if they received the vitamin D injections.

The study authors said their findings must be confirmed by follow-up studies before more precise recommendations for vitamin D therapy can be made.

"While these results need to be verified, we at least need to be more aggressive in treating people that meet the current criteria. Thereafter we need to investigate what is the mechanism conferring this survival benefit. We are actively pursuing that with a focus on the effects of cardiovascular disease," said Thadhani, who is also an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School The National Kidney Foundation.

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=126117

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:21 PM »

These studies annoy me.  Wouldn't you hate to be in the study group who didn't get the vitamin D?  They think it is better for patients but they are not sure so they do a study where half are NOT going to get it.

Can you imagine the first study on dialysis??
100 people with kidney failure were in a study.  50 received dialysis and 50 did not.  After 1 year, 40 of those were still alive who were given dialysis while all 50 were dead in the group who were not.  I guess the study proves that dialysis helps keep patients with ESRD alive.  Dahhhh !!

Jill D.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »

My doctor put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D once a month (the first month I took that much 1x per week). She said they are finding that just about everyone does not get enough Vitamin D and can benefit from supplements - especially people in climates where there are not a lot of sunny days.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:35 PM »

Dr. Ravi  is a friend of my sister-in-law's, he is an extremely credible man. Right now he is on 12 country tour speaking about this very thing ( at the medical colleges)

I have asked the neph to look at his studies. no luck so far

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »