I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hospitalized AGAIN!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hospitalized AGAIN!  (Read 4140 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: March 02, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

Well, I got up this morning feeling pretty good, even though I got a little too dry on dialysis the evening before. I had breakfast and went to church like I do every Sunday. I felt fine all through the service, but as we stood for the closing song, I started feeling lightheaded, then there was kind of a blur of activity, and suddenly I was being put on a gurney and rolled out of the church. I had basically keeled over. I don't think I lost consciousness completely, but for a while I was kind of semi-conscious. It turned out that I was suffering both dehydration and low blood sugar at the same time. My sugar was low but tolerable when the paramedics checked it in the ambulance, but when it was checked again a few hours later, it had plunged to 53, which for me is really bad (I normally start having bad symptoms when it drops below 100). They gave me 500cc of saline, and had me drink some apple juice to get my sugar back up, and by the time they released me, I felt tired, but OK. This is the third time I've gotten really sick in front of a lot of people, and I hate it. All my friends at church are wonderful, though, and they did whatever they could to make me comfortable until the ambulance got there (at least from what I can remember of that time). Ugh! I hate ERs.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »

I am really sorry man, that stinks!  But actually good in a way, that you were in good hands and maybe they were praying for ya while the ambulance arrived??!  Will be saying prayers tonight that you get back on the right track.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »

Adam, I am sorry but also glad you were in church when it happened.  At least you weren't alone.  All those people surrounding you and praying for you---well, that is a good place to be when something like this happens.   Hope you are doing better. :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
oleboy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »

Glad to here you had a quick recovery, did you do a finger stick this morning? and always remember the candy in our pockets.  :clap;

'hold fast your dreams for if dreams die life is a broken winged bird that connot fly.'
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

Oh Adam, that is the pits.  But I have to agree with Traci, you were in the best place you could be if it had
to happen.  Take care of yourself and check that sugar often.  I'm praying for you.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »

:boxing; dang it Adam, you need to take better care of yourself. I hate that you had to experience this again. Does your sugar jump around like this all the time. I know you posted something about that before. Just wondering if you should be on the pump, which automatically controls your sugar and insulin levels. I don't know if that only works for people who run consistently high or if it works for all diabetics. Good luck in finding resolution to this complex problem.  :grouphug;
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:06:57 PM »

Sorry you had to go through this Adam. Glad you're home and feeling better, and that you were in a place where people care about you and got you the help you needed as soon as they could!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:24:33 PM »

I feel for you man. Diabetes, no matter how controlled, rears its head at the ugliest times. Its good you were with a bunch of people, and though it was embarrassing, got you the help you needed. I hope you are feeling better tonight, and you get a good nights rest  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »

Sorry to hear this Adam.  I agree with Paris, you may feel embarrassed that there are a lot of people round but that's for the best.  Take care of yourself, hope you'll feel better soon.  :grouphug;
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 04:41:38 AM »

I know its not nice for you to get ill in front of people but never be embarrassed , they all know its not your fault. I guess its better to be among a crowd of people and get help straight away , than it to happen if you were on your own. Sounds like you need to fill your pockets with sweeties! I hope you are feeling better now.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:51:27 AM »

Adam, I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Maybe you should take KS advice and get some candy to carry with you. I hope your feeling better and take care of yourself.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:12:45 AM »

oops double post

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 06:14:04 AM »

Glad you were with people who knew what to do. That's a concern for me, knowing what to do. My mom is diabetic type 2 and her sugar has been so low a few times the past week it didn't even register. The machine said LO. But, it has also registered at 27, 29. She eats and it goes up to 180, 213. She has called her doctor and is going to see him this week. Not sure if in this case you increase or decrease insulin. So hard to keep control over. She does not ever feel light-headed so I'm wondering if it is the machine and not her sugar. How much can you trust these machines? Major concern is when she starts dialysis and gets numbers this low. She'll probably feel it then.

take care Adam  :cuddle;

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 08:27:35 AM »

Hey, Adam!  How are you doing today?
Psim

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 08:37:41 AM »

Scary stuff! Hope today is feeling a lot better.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »

Geez, Adam - are you on a first name basis with the ER staff yet?   ;D

Hope you feel better now - watch that sugar!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »

I'm feeling better, even though the fluid situation hasn't been resolved yet. Yesterday I only tried to remove one kilo and I still got too dry and had to turn my UF off, and this was still when I was about a kilo over my NEW dry weight. I know I haven't gained over three kilos of real weight in just a few weeks time. My nurse and I are both stumped on this. As for my sugar, usually it doesn't present major problems because I keep it under control, but sometimes it just unexpectedly knocks me on my arse (figuratively and literally). We'll get this fluid situation resolved eventually, but I'm just sick of feeling bad every time I dialyze, and often when I'm not doing dialysis. NxStage is all about feeling good, but right now I usually just feel bad. Still not as bad as I felt in-centre, though. 

Geez, Adam - are you on a first name basis with the ER staff yet?   ;D
:rofl; Jbeany, you're not that far off. It feels like they are just going to have to name the whole building after me, or make me start paying room and board. Oh wait, they already are. But fortunately Medicare takes care of it for me.  :lol;

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

I remember how you struggled with in-center but I don't recall if you had the same problems with the blood sugars? The independence is great but you have to get those sugars in check.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »

Adam - What rate are you taking the fluid off?  If you have 1 kilo, are you taking it off all at once or stretching it out?  If Rob has a lot of fluid on, say 3 or 3.5 kilos (which is rare), he will set it for 2 kilos/hour.  Then take the last kilo off slowly.  If he only has 1 or 2, he will stretch it out.  Maybe you can play with that and see what works better for you.  Also, your dry weight can go up very quickly if you are eating better or working out more (gaining muscle). 

Hope you find a solution soon, feel better.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »

I had more problems on the machine yesterday. I tried taking only .6 off, with the rate at .4 L/hr, and I could only get .3 off before I couldn't handle it anymore. That was just when trying to go down to 64, and my "new" dry weight is 63, and just a week ago before we upped it, it was just 61. The strange thing with yesterday's event was my blood pressure didn't drop at all, and the bad symptoms (dizziness, light headed, sweating, etc) didn't go away when I turned the UF off, or when I infused saline, so I had to get off the machine about an hour early. The symptoms were all gone withing 10 min. after I got off. I didn't even feel dry anymore. My nurse is having a live meeting with my doctor about this, and she's going to call me as soon as it's over. We're speculating that I might be having some kind of allergic reaction to something related to the dialysis (dialysate, heparin, dialyzer processing chemicals, etc.). I just stopped using the Baxter heparin, so it's not anything related to the recent problems with that. I did just start taking Sensipar, but the main side affect with that is diarrhea. This is just not good, because I'm starting to reach the point where I'm afraid to dialyze because I know it's going to make me feel bad, and that's not a good thing because if I go too far, I'll start skipping treatments, then I'll be in real trouble with my health. Fortunately I haven't had any more problems with my sugar.

Adam

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »

Hope you get some answers soon Adam, thinking of you  :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »