I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  I need NxStage advice...!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need NxStage advice...!!!  (Read 2562 times)
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »

I am in terrible need of a vacation and would want to miss 2 days of dialysis.

Here is my plan:
sunday - friday dialysis
Friday evening- Monday mid morning enjoy Puerta Vallarta.  :yahoo;

Dialyze Monday night.

My nurse says skipping 2 days on NxStage is like missing 4 days @ in-incenter.
She also doesnt think my Dr. would approve of this schedule.

I have missed 2 days three or 4 times and have felt ok but i wouldnt make it a habit because i dont feel great either.
No one noticed and my numbers didnt seem so bad either. Nothing that 2 days of dialysis couldnt make up.

Please tell me from your experiences how bad has it been if youve missed 2 days in a row.
Am i pushing it?

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »

Have you considered running a longer session with more fluid the days before and after you skip?  Arrange your time on Friday to run perhaps 30 L instead of your usual 20, and do the same on Monday.  I've run longer sessions to "make up" missing time and treatments when I've had problems with the machine.    You just have to up your heparin dose accordingly.  I've also had to miss more than two days in a row because of access issues.  The second day isn't so bad - but I wouldn't want to try 3!  As long as you can control the fluid, I doubt you'll be more than a little bit tired.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »

Now that I'm doing over night two days off isn't an issue. I've basically been on a five day on, two days off schedule since early April because of travel - Dallas, Cleveland, LA, Chicago

How many liters are you doing? I think Jbeany is right that running longer with more fluid before/after the trip is the way to go.

I'm surprised by what your nurse said. It's not that it couldn't be the case but if it is the case then I think you should be increasing your prescription.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »

I too have done it before.  I took a 3 night vacation last year to Texas and was machine free.   I left early Friday morning and came back on Monday morning.  By Sunday night in Texas I wasn't feeling completely horrible - but I did have that "man I need a good dialysis treatment" feeling.

Like jbeany said, before your days off just up your treatment time.  Throw on an extra bag and do the same after your two days off.

And of course, watch your fluid and food intake! 

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
migaguiar

Step back. Im full of toxins.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »

Thanks guys. I just need confidence so i can be worry free down there and have a good time. :beer1;

"All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

http://ihaveesrd.blogspot.com/
Alports @ age 19 hemo in center 4 months
20 paternal kidney transplant 14 years
Present 1 1/2 yr PD
4 month in center
now 6 months @ home NxStage Daily
Soon Nocturnal!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »