I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Failure of PD Catheter
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Failure of PD Catheter  (Read 1585 times)
Red from Canada

« on: February 27, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

I have just come out of hospital from my hip replacement and now my PD catheter has failed!  While I was in hospital, I was quite constipated from the anesthetic and pain pills.  They finally got me cleared, but the catheter has moved.  So they put in an emergency shunt in my neck and put me on Hemo.  Is there any hope for me going back on PD or is this the end?  Has anyone else had this happen?
Psim

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »

I have no experience or advise, but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am you're facing this on top of the hip replacement. I sure hope something can be done.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:24:44 AM »

Did they tell you how the catheter had moved ? Only asking as mine has been lodged under my last rib since they day it went in 3 yrs ago and yet it still works , though no one can understand how! I think you need to know exactly what happened with it and how it moved?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:49:55 AM »

Yes, I have had my tube replaced twice, due to infections recurring. It CAN be done!!!

Good luck!!! 
Slywalker

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

When my PD catheter moved because of constipation they put me on a stool softener for a week to get things cleared out.  That worked.

And, yes, another PD catheter can be placed - my mother had a total of three or four when she was doing PD back in the 90's.

I hope the healing goes well with the hip replacement.  Sounds painful.

Good luck.

Sandyb
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »